Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compass Lake Engineering

BigDave

I've read some really good things about these uppers/rifles also.  

Would an AR rifle basically set up for DCM be a good choice for a Limited AR?  I guess if you are going to go that route, Accurcy Speaks may be better option?

Yes, except maybe without all the extra weight in the buttstock and under the handguards. And without a hooded rear sight aperture so you can flip to the big ap. for up-close stages. And without a high-zoot, high-bucks, minute-of-gnat's-ass barrel that you're just going to burn up hosing rounds through. And maybe without an ultra-tight match chamber.

Eric - thanks for the reply.  Can you tell me about your rifle?  I really want a quality AR, Limited class AR, that I'm not going to need to rework (like free float tube, sights, barrel, trigger).  I just don't want to run into what I did when I got my pistol (first an HK USP, then 10 mos later a SV, which is really what I wanted in the first place).  

Shooter - I've been waiting for someone to say that.

You almost can't pick the "wrong" AR15 for Limited 3 gun. If it has got a full sight radius with A2 sights, you're good to go. You can deal with post widths and aperture sizes later.

So my rifle has a float tube and trick sights, big deal... I didn't even register on the radar of Bennie Cooley, who shot a basic A2.

An AR set up for DCM would be just fine.  For IPSC, you would want a larger aperture for close hoser stages and a single stage trigger instead of a two stage trigger.  I shot my service rifle for a couple of years with good success even with the weights in it.

If you want a full house limited AR and a serivce rifle right out of the gate, I would buy a lower and put in a Jewell trigger and then build an upper for each event.  Although a 2 stage trigger,  the Jewell is more competitive in IPSC than a single stage is in highpower.  IMHO, a limited upper should have a full length gas system, a limited legal comp (Accuracy Speaks or Miculek), free floating handguard (Medesha or Accuracy Speaks or JP), a skinny front sight and smaller than stock rear apertures on a same plane rear sight with 1/2 MOA clicks (NOT 1/4 MAO clicks).  I don't think a match barrel is necessary.

It is a shame to hose through a Kreiger barrel.