Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex venom vs 510c

There is no comparison, the Venom is tiny and the 510 is huge.   The 507 compares better in size to the Venom. 

I have over a dozen Holosun sights with zero failures.  All of them that have the circle dot can be run as dot only. 

I only own one Venom, and it has been pretty good. 

14 hours ago, moonshoxx said:

Does anyone have any direct comparisons?  Is the 510c too busy?  What about the reliability of the Holosun?

Recently switched from a 3MOA Venom on the Vortex-branded Samson mount to a 510c.  In USPSA, the 510c is easier to pick up in situations where you might not have a perfect cheek weld.  The dot is bright enough that even with the smaller size, I've never had an issue.

I don't use the circle/dot, just the 2MOA dot, so it's far from busy.

Haven't had the 510c long enough to comment on reliability, but I haven't heard of any failing, even from the guys running them on Open guns.

The *only* issue is the square emitter reflection that appears when the sun is at just the right angle.  I've only ever noticed it during LAMR, and it's never bothered me after the beep.

You're welcome to check mine out next time you see me at a match!

11 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

What do you mean by too busy?  It’s a 2moa dot.  I have two 510cs and they’ve been 100% reliable.

I was thinking the circle dot would help my old eyes pick it up but then others say for USPSA the circle dot is distracting.  So I was  deciding between 6 moa single dot or circle dot

The 510c is the best optic going for PCC. When it doesn’t reciprocate and then gun already weighs 5-7 pounds, that big window and beefy design are definitely a great choice.

I don’t understand why people want to run slideride-sized optics on a rifle. There’s no reason not to go bigger.

I run circle and dot at all times, and prefer it. Not too busy at all! But you do have the choice of circle, dot, or both.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I have a Venom 6moa and love it for PCC. I find it very easy to pick up and the window size doesn’t bother me at all. I did try a 510c and found it to busy for my liking. I tried it with just the dot and the 2moa was to small to pick up quickly for me. The circle was just to distracting.

I only use holosun on my pcc’s. For dry climates the 510 with the shroud removed is perfect. For wet climates the 512 is far better.

IMO the only downside to the 510 is if you’re shooting in rain the dot can starburst because nothing is stopping rain from getting on the emitter window. 

8 minutes ago, Bwillis said:

I only use holosun on my pcc’s. For dry climates the 510 with the shroud removed is perfect. For wet climates the 512 is far better.

IMO the only downside to the 510 is if you’re shooting in rain the dot can starburst because nothing is stopping rain from getting on the emitter window. 

so true, I like the 510 but for EEO in CZ I will use 512 (it always rains there)...

On 12/14/2019 at 10:33 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

The 510c is the best optic going for PCC. When it doesn’t reciprocate and then gun already weighs 5-7 pounds, that big window and beefy design are definitely a great choice.

I don’t understand why people want to run slideride-sized optics on a rifle. There’s no reason not to go bigger.

I run circle and dot at all times, and prefer it. Not too busy at all! But you do have the choice of circle, dot, or both.

I fully agree with all of the above.  I have a 510C on my AR9 and it works wonderfully.  I also run the circle and dot together.  

That said, it's too big and heavy for handguns and I have a Vortex Venom on my S&W 686 and a Leupold DPP on my M&P9 2.0.  These are smaller, lighter and more suitable for handgun use.

Edited by SteelCityShooter
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

hmmmm.....For me , it's field of view around the optic.Not through it.Cmore Slideride gives me more field of view ( target focus, and next target ) than a big bulky unit. Just me though.

I’d vote 510 over the Venom, not because it’s a bigger window, more so because it’s just easier and faster to get your eyes behind.

That said, I don’t really buy the “more FOV” thing... shooting both eyes open it doesn’t really matter. I totally DO buy getting behind the optic and picking up the dot faster... and a 510 with a 30mm window, or even a Aimpoint micro sized 20mm sized window when mounted right just seems easier than any “handgun-sized” optic I’ve ever tried.

...but most of the handgun-sized optics I’ve tried on PCC-type guns were just thrown on with whatever mount was in the box or some riser that wasn’t really dialed to the stock/cheekweld.

There’s no real reason the Venom would be worse IMHO if one were to really spend/experiment with where/how to mount it though...

Edited by ck1
13 hours ago, ck1 said:

I’d vote 510 over the Venom, not because it’s a bigger window, more so because it’s just easier and faster to get your eyes behind.

That said, I don’t really buy the “more FOV” thing... shooting both eyes open it doesn’t really matter. I totally DO buy getting behind the optic and picking up the dot faster... and a 510 with a 30mm window, or even a Aimpoint micro sized 20mm sized window when mounted right just seems easier than any “handgun-sized” optic I’ve ever tried.

...but most of the handgun-sized optics I’ve tried on PCC-type guns were just thrown on with whatever mount was in the box or some riser that wasn’t really dialed to the stock/cheekweld.

There’s no real reason the Venom would be worse IMHO if one were to really spend/experiment with where/how to mount it though...

I guess I should have stated it the way you did......." easier and faster to get your eyes behind " I shoot booth eyes open and find a less obtrusive optic faster.You are very correct on having the optic height set for a proper cheek weld. :)