Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2020 Staccato Lineup

dghboy315

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up a 2019 model Staccato P, it's also my first 2011 found it on the second hand market. Lot to learn with a 2011 compared to the G34 I have been shooting I've got about a 1000 rounds in it so far and cant complain but I also dont know any better 

31 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

I picked up a DVC-P (formerly the Omni) and I noticed a distinct difference in action and fit between the Staccatos and the DVCs.   The Staccato XL showed up at my LGS and confirmed my suspicions.  

What was the difference? 

I don't own a DVC (shot one a few months ago), but a Staccato XL 9mm was in stock at a local sporting goods store. It has a new style grip (still polymer), sub 3-pound trigger, and the fit of slide to frame seemed good. I have an Edge in .40. The Staccato slide cuts appeared relatively well-machined. But at $3400 it is overpriced to me. I know what I paid for my new Edge a few years ago and spending $1400 plus more for the Staccato XL is a no go (especially in 9mm). From what I can remember about the DVC, the Staccato has better fit and finish, but Uhmeebuh will have to give you the recent comparison details.

Edited by Steppenwolf

26 minutes ago, Steppenwolf said:

I don't own a DVC (shot one a few months ago), but a Staccato XL 9mm was in stock at a local sporting goods store. It has a new style grip (still polymer), sub 3-pound trigger, and the fit of slide to frame seemed good. I have an Edge in .40. The Staccato slide cuts appeared relatively well-machined. But at $3400 it is overpriced to me. I know what I paid for my new Edge a few years ago and spending $1400 plus more for the Staccato XL is a no go (especially in 9mm). From what I can remember about the DVC, the Staccato has better fit and finish, but Uhmeebuh will have to give you the recent comparison details.

I have a Staccato C absolutely love it but haven’t handled any other Staccato’s or DVC’s. 

2 hours ago, Steve-O said:

What was the difference? 

Uhh - exactly what I said in what you quoted 🙂

Action and fitment is better IMO with the DVC compared to the Staccato line from what I’ve felt.  My local dealer has a handful of both and the guys at the shop unanimously agree.  

11 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

Uhh - exactly what I said in what you quoted 🙂

Action and fitment is better IMO with the DVC compared to the Staccato line from what I’ve felt.  My local dealer has a handful of both and the guys at the shop unanimously agree.  

I've felt both extensively and shot the Stacatto a lot.  Only difference I can tell is a slightly better (lighter) trigger on the DVC line, along with some slide cuts and coated barrel.

I'm betting that STI did the math on how tactical guys are willing to spend close to $2k on a shop customized glock, and realized they could sell way more $3500 tactical pistols to a huge market of people who won't ever shoot them to the point of failure, instead of selling a lot fewer $1800 pistols to a tiny market of people who are going to shoot the crap out of them and constantly be making warranty claims.  If I'm correct, then honestly I don't blame them.  Businesses exist to make money, and I wouldn't want to be a business owner in their previous position.  

I handled a couple of the new Staccatos this weekend, and wasn't all that impressed. The XL is nothing special, the C is a nice option, but for that price, there are other single stack 9s I would consider first. The only one I'm remotely interested in is the C2, as I'm always looking for something to replace a Glock 19 with, but my LGS didn't have one in stock yet.

1 hour ago, scduckman03 said:

I was hoping on a 5” staccato p duo. I saw where sti was making one called the p5 for law enforcement, I assumed it was a 5”. 

The P5 will be a 5", and was primarily marketed toward LE first.  It will likely be released to the masses shortly, but there is no ETA on if/when it will be offered in DUO configuration.  

The P5 is not in production, and was never offered in a duo version.  After testing carious barrel lengths with Dave Dawson and a certain military unit, we found the most reliable, flattest shooting size in 9mm duty ammo was the 4.45” barrel currently on the new P and P-DUO.

We only discontinued models that weren't selling...had they been selling we would not have discontinued them.

The R was approved for single stack by uspsa and ipsc last year at shot show prior to ever putting them in production.

We aren't selling any $3500 tactical guns, let alone to LE.  All of our LE guns have passed 20k-50k endurance tests with numerous departments, some of those evals lasting longer than a year.  We also have r&d guns tested within certain military units that shoot a lot...so we certainly arent developing/testing/selling guns to guys who arent shooting them.

As far as dvc vs staccato...they are built the by the same gunsmiths, the exact same way, using the same dlc coating, the same parts (none of which are mim’d), and being inspected To the exact same standard...they just have lighter triggers, lightening cuts on the slide, and cost us a certain amount per gun for saying “dvc” per slide as that is trademarked...hence the reason for now more “dvc” line.  Lightening cuts changed to make them functional this year, and we brought our dlc in house and are using a plasma based form of dlc that wears better, and has a more dull look to it.

I just got my 4.15 Staccato P Duo and really like it, except the recoil master makes the recoil seem to stutter a bit. I found it odd. 

I ordered a Dawson tool less guide rod for it with some new springs and am anxiously waiting for it to complete the set up. 

I also found that the “tactical/carry” magwell is practically useless. There’s no increase in lateral insertion so it didn’t help any of my reloads and actually slowed them down sometimes cause the mag would get caught in the lip. 

Quality wise, I was really impressed with it. Everything seems very tight and well fit. I had no issues with the thumb safety and beaver tail biting me like I have had with past STI’s and I really really like it. 

I’m also disappointed that they went with the Deltapoint Pro but I can understand why. The RMR cut would have been better but that’s personal opinion. 

I shot my best B8 at 25 yards ever though with it. 2 inch group at 25 yards with everything in the X except for 2 in the 10 ring. That’s with a 4.5 pound trigger. 

One thing I like is that they appeared to have stroked the commander guns. It has the same slide movement as my 5 in 2011. It shoots very soft and I like it a lot.

Just needs a new recoil spring set up, new magwell, and maybe a flat trigger further down the line. 

On 12/29/2019 at 8:19 PM, Buck8154 said:

The P5 is not in production, and was never offered in a duo version.  After testing carious barrel lengths with Dave Dawson and a certain military unit, we found the most reliable, flattest shooting size in 9mm duty ammo was the 4.45” barrel currently on the new P and P-DUO.

We only discontinued models that weren't selling...had they been selling we would not have discontinued them.

The R was approved for single stack by uspsa and ipsc last year at shot show prior to ever putting them in production.

We aren't selling any $3500 tactical guns, let alone to LE.  All of our LE guns have passed 20k-50k endurance tests with numerous departments, some of those evals lasting longer than a year.  We also have r&d guns tested within certain military units that shoot a lot...so we certainly arent developing/testing/selling guns to guys who arent shooting them.

As far as dvc vs staccato...they are built the by the same gunsmiths, the exact same way, using the same dlc coating, the same parts (none of which are mim’d), and being inspected To the exact same standard...they just have lighter triggers, lightening cuts on the slide, and cost us a certain amount per gun for saying “dvc” per slide as that is trademarked...hence the reason for now more “dvc” line.  Lightening cuts changed to make them functional this year, and we brought our dlc in house and are using a plasma based form of dlc that wears better, and has a more dull look to it.

So Buck, why not anything in the Edge/Eagle price range and feature set? 

I will wait for some months to 1. see what are the feedback from people who purchased with them (not their immediate thoughts, but what they think about the new models after couple of months having them), and 2. let the price settle down. Right now they are "new design/flashy/black/I am a cool guy STIs". 

18 hours ago, geraldskip said:

I just got my 4.15 Staccato P Duo and really like it, except the recoil master makes the recoil seem to stutter a bit. I found it odd. 

I ordered a Dawson tool less guide rod for it with some new springs and am anxiously waiting for it to complete the set up. 

I also found that the “tactical/carry” magwell is practically useless. There’s no increase in lateral insertion so it didn’t help any of my reloads and actually slowed them down sometimes cause the mag would get caught in the lip. 

Quality wise, I was really impressed with it. Everything seems very tight and well fit. I had no issues with the thumb safety and beaver tail biting me like I have had with past STI’s and I really really like it. 

I’m also disappointed that they went with the Deltapoint Pro but I can understand why. The RMR cut would have been better but that’s personal opinion. 

I shot my best B8 at 25 yards ever though with it. 2 inch group at 25 yards with everything in the X except for 2 in the 10 ring. That’s with a 4.5 pound trigger. 

One thing I like is that they appeared to have stroked the commander guns. It has the same slide movement as my 5 in 2011. It shoots very soft and I like it a lot.

Just needs a new recoil spring set up, new magwell, and maybe a flat trigger further down the line. 

We went with the dpp cut for a few reasons...one it has the tallest base and therefore Has to sit the lowest in the gun in order to co-witness back up sights that arent ridiculously tall.  Two, it was required for two contracts, the USMS SOG, and another mil unit as they run the dpp.  Three, you cannot direct mount an rmr on a 1911/2011 slide as the bolt pattern on the rmr is too wide for the slide.

Edited by Buck8154

12 hours ago, bulldog009 said:

So Buck, why not anything in the Edge/Eagle price range and feature set? 

I only deal with r&d for the LE/MIL side if the company, I will certainly pass that up.  Part of the reason was the absolutely abysmal sales of the edge prior to it being cut.

Edited by Buck8154