Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Lapua 338?

I have an opportunity to buy an Elite Precision rifle with the ACC chassis by MBT at a very good price in any caliber I want directly from the manufacturer. I already have an RPR in 6.5 that I load so I'm debating between 308 and Lapua 338. We all know 308 is cheap and the 338 is expensive to shoot but since I'm reloading shouldn't be as bad. Once the brass is out of the way at about $2 each, each round should be in the $1.50 +/- range.

Anyone else loading Lapua 338 have any info to share?

I believe the 308 will do the same thing as your creedmore so it would be redundant. If you have the room to play at larger distances then the 338 is something to seriously look at. I Would buy 100 factory rounds

My current club only goes to 200m but my membership application is pending at another club that goes to 1,000y. Will know for sure in February.

I also have an Omega 300 can that would fit a 308 but not the 338 but not a deal breaker. 338 @ 1,000 would be interesting.

Have a new Vortex Golden Eagle, rings and level on the way in anticipation of playing long but that's a different topic.

I have the stuff to load my .300WM and .338LM on my 550... but I've never quite gotten around to it.  It's on the 'to-do' list ;)

My biggest concern would be seating the bullets... not the precision, per se, as I have my 550 setup worked out to where it'll run right with my Co-Ax, but considerably faster... but that's a pretty tall case, and some pretty long bullets.  Might have to do some maneuvering to get the bullet up into the mouth of the die and then lower it down into the case mouth just prior to seating.

FWIW, have you considered other calibers?  The 110 Elite Precision is supposed to be coming out in .300 PRC next year, and maybe .300 Norma.  The thing that always kind of bugged me about the .338LM is that it's just enough different than anything else I own - different bore diameter, weird sized shell holders, etc. etc. etc. so new cleaning rods, new shell plates, new priming setup (back when I did that stuff by hand), etc.  And you might luck out and find that your existing .30 cal can is magnum rated?  That'd be a plus.  I was very bummed to find out that my Gemtech Sandstorm Ti cans are not :(

Midway had bulk Lapua brass for $80/100 but looks like it just sold out. I stocked up. 

I rarely shoot over 200 these days so it really is a waste of a gun and reload for me. Sized on single stage (co ax) but loaded last batch on 550. 

If not reaching out further than 1k, you are wasting money. Don’t be like me. 

I load 338 Lapua on my 550.  Pretty easy stuff.

I settled on Retumbo at my powder.  H-1000 worked pretty good, but I got better accuracy past 1,000 (lower ES/SD) with Retumbo.

I am also shooting Berger 300s.  When I use up this lot of bullets, I will try Hornady 285s.  If I can keep them supersonic past 2,200 yards with good accuracy I will shoot them.

We have a ELR Match in New Mexico with targets from 800-2200.  Good times.

http://QaJOwsg.jpg

http://lu1cB9y.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

308 may be close to 6.5 CR in some respects, but not out past 1k.  Whether that matters is up to you.  As for .338, it's definitely got the wow factor.  But it's turned out to be nowhere near as popular as expected.  Partly due to the cost.  For long range, .300 Win Mag is still extremely popular.  Personally, I like .300 WSM.  You get excellent long range performance and ballistics, with a short action rifle.

After a lot of weighing the pros and cons for the 338 LM ended up going with the 308 Win since I already have 6.5CM. Rifle ordered, now comes the long wait for the build.

Checked the specs for the Omega 300, rated up to 300 WM but doesn't say anything about a 338 so thinking not. Cost of ammo even for reloads, have five 7.62 Pmags in the bag already (may or may not use those) 80 minute drive to the long range compared to 10 minute drive to my local 200m range.

Added another press to line on the bench, a Forster CoAx, Redding Competition S die set with bushing. Lapua brass, Hornady ELD Match 208gr bullets (G7 BC of 348) and RL-17 powder to start with. Also ordered an annealing machine but not sure how longs that's going to take, I think they build them per order.