Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem Golden Saber 147’s

nickbfishn

Got 900 of these rem BJHP 147gr pills in an estate sale for pennies. My googling leads me to believe they’re primarily for self defense ammo, but was wondering if I should load them up for match shooting...or sell them. 

The bizarre thing about these bullets is that below the line the diameter is .355, but above the line it is .347. I’ve never messed with anything like this and I’m looking to see if anyone has ever loaded with these? Do they function okay at lower PF (130ish)? Any load data to share?

D818EE0F-E471-458E-8A76-BF81DA8F18B3.jpeg

I highly doubt anyone will have any experience loading them. They’re not available as loose bullets as far as I’ve seen, which means they were pulled from loaded amo.

...But I’m curious to see if I’m wrong.

It looks like they were crimped into the cases they were pulled from at the point you’re referring to, which doesn’t really make sense because factory ammo is never loaded that long.

16 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I highly doubt anyone will have any experience loading them. They’re not available as loose bullets as far as I’ve seen, which means they were pulled from loaded amo.

...But I’m curious to see if I’m wrong.

It looks like they were crimped into the cases they were pulled from at the point you’re referring to, which doesn’t really make sense because factory ammo is never loaded that long.

They certainly look pulled.

That's not a crimp ring, these are two-diameter bullets. It allows them to be loaded long (same effect as a long throated barrel) for more powder capacity. 

I don't see anything in the picture indicating if these are pulled or not; I think the other guys missed your details about the two diameters and think that's a crimp ring. 

I've loaded some of these (well, the 124gr version as well as other calibers) a long time ago, but don't remember where I got them. They are a pretty good defense bullet and shoot reasonably well too.

Depends if it's worth the hassle to you, but they might be worth selling, and then using that money to buy a larger quantity of target bullets. In other words, you might be able to turn that 900 into 1500 target bullets for example. But then again it may not be worth your time to do so. Nothing wrong with just loading and shooting these, they are a good bullet. 

Edited by Yondering

26 minutes ago, Yondering said:

That's not a crimp ring, these are two-diameter bullets. It allows them to be loaded long (same effect as a long throated barrel) for more powder capacity. 

I don't see anything in the picture indicating if these are pulled or not; I think the other guys missed your details about the two diameters and think that's a crimp ring. 

I've loaded some of these (well, the 124gr version as well as other calibers) a long time ago, but don't remember where I got them. They are a pretty good defense bullet and shoot reasonably well too.

Depends if it's worth the hassle to you, but they might be worth selling, and then using that money to buy a larger quantity of target bullets. In other words, you might be able to turn that 900 into 1500 target bullets for example. But then again it may not be worth your time to do so. Nothing wrong with just loading and shooting these, they are a good bullet. 

That’s correct, they’re all identical with the large bottom and narrow top. No scrape marks or anything on the jackets...they’re brand new. 

I think I’m going to post them up for sale here and maybe a couple other places to see if I get any bites. If not I might start working up a load. But the part I can’t figure out is where and how to set the crimp...

49 minutes ago, nickbfishn said:

That’s correct, they’re all identical with the large bottom and narrow top. No scrape marks or anything on the jackets...they’re brand new. 

I think I’m going to post them up for sale here and maybe a couple other places to see if I get any bites. If not I might start working up a load. But the part I can’t figure out is where and how to set the crimp...

I wouldn't worry too much about the crimp. Just set OAL to whatever works for your barrel, and apply a mild crimp, if any. Personally I normally don't crimp much at all, just enough to straighten out the case mouth flare.