Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
wdfwguy

I finally shot a Canik, and now I want one...

I was at the range shooting my CZ, and someone offered to let me shoot their Canik.  I was blown away by the trigger and the accuracy, and now I'd like to pick up one.

Looking at the available models, the version I shot was the TP9SF Elite Salient.  The model I'd get for myself is the TP9SFX. 

But now I'm wondering if the version I shot had some special Salient match barrel and trigger, and I'm going to be disappointed with the SFX trigger and accuracy.

I have and shoot the CanikTP9SFx in carry optics. It comes with a match grade barrel and a good trigger from the factory. Mine will shoot 2” groups at 25 yards with ammo it likes. I did up grade my trigger with a freedomsmith trigger. I have no regrets with this handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wdfwguy said:

I was at the range shooting my CZ, and someone offered to let me shoot their Canik.  I was blown away by the trigger and the accuracy, and now I'd like to pick up one.

Looking at the available models, the version I shot was the TP9SF Elite Salient.  The model I'd get for myself is the TP9SFX. 

But now I'm wondering if the version I shot had some special Salient match barrel and trigger, and I'm going to be disappointed with the SFX trigger and accuracy.

No. 

The TP9SFX is very accurate out of the box and the trigger is great too!

Edited by B_RAD

36 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

The TP9SFX is very accurate out of the box and the trigger is great too!

well i disagree about the trigger, has the longest take up i think of any handgun i've shot, the break is nice though.  i replaced mine with a freedomsmith which took away most of the take up.

and super yes on accurate.  shooting one with a vortex razor dot, at roughly 10-15 yds, was real easy to put them all in something like a 1" group, slow fire of course.

and from my experience, the same glock 100% reliability.

43 minutes ago, davsco said:

well i disagree about the trigger, has the longest take up i think of any handgun i've shot, the break is nice though.  i replaced mine with a freedomsmith which took away most of the take up.

and super yes on accurate.  shooting one with a vortex razor dot, at roughly 10-15 yds, was real easy to put them all in something like a 1" group, slow fire of course.

and from my experience, the same glock 100% reliability.

It does have some take up. I did but a freedsmoth trigger in mine too. I’m also shooting a Walther with the stock trigger and the take up just doesn’t bother me. Never even notice it when shooting a stage. 

5 hours ago, davsco said:

Why does the takeup matter to you? I can't see any reason to care about it since the reset is very short, and the takeup is so light that it has no practical effect on what is otherwise a pretty crisp single action trigger in mine. (To be fair, I dropped a 6.5 lb Glock striker spring in mine, but no other trigger mods.)

Edited by Yondering

I have a TP9FSx and it is a very accurate pistol. Changed the trigger to a Freedomsmith which was very helpful- also changed the striker and plunger springs. Trigger pull is now about 2.5#'s and very crisp- short overtravel and reset.

Put a DDP on it for CO- comes with a plate to do this. Bought a different holster that does not lock. Great pistol for CO. Reload for it- about 950fps 124 grain bullets. Great pistol for the money.

Thinking about changing the recoil spring and putting in a tungsten guide rod with adaptor. This should reduce muzzle flip quite a bit.

Edited by verla
additional information

Seems to be the new "go to" pistol up here in the Frozen NW.......I have seen it make serious inroads in the Production shooters world. I like the feel of them far better then a Glock, and for the price it seems to be something to be considered seriously. The trigger is no match grade version, but it has been reported the Freedomsmith makes a world of difference. Flr the cost it would be my choice if I ever shot Production seriously.  Right now I am in CO with a CZ, but it is getting rather crowded. 

Just might be time to venture into a new Division...............

On 12/12/2019 at 6:50 AM, verla said:

. Reload for it- about 950fps 124 grain bullets. Great pistol for the money.

Little bit slow for CO isn’t it?

49 minutes ago, eboadway said:

Little bit slow for CO isn’t it?

Caught my eye as well. 117 PF. 

ok- you are correct- I looked at the wrong page in my reloading book. Was looking at 147 grain bullet. 124 grain bullets going at 1090 fps gives a power factor of about 135. This load performs/cycles very well in my Canik. Wish I had bought one a long time ago.

If I can find one at the right price I want to try a Trijicon SRO on this pistol. The grip angle approximates that of an STI that I shoot quite a bit- 38 super open, 40S&W limited and 9mm in 3 gun.

Currently I have  a DPP with a 7.5 MOA triangle on it and this performs well.

Edited by verla