Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I finally shot a Canik, and now I want one...

wdfwguy

I was at the range shooting my CZ, and someone offered to let me shoot their Canik.  I was blown away by the trigger and the accuracy, and now I'd like to pick up one.

Looking at the available models, the version I shot was the TP9SF Elite Salient.  The model I'd get for myself is the TP9SFX. 

But now I'm wondering if the version I shot had some special Salient match barrel and trigger, and I'm going to be disappointed with the SFX trigger and accuracy.

I have and shoot the CanikTP9SFx in carry optics. It comes with a match grade barrel and a good trigger from the factory. Mine will shoot 2” groups at 25 yards with ammo it likes. I did up grade my trigger with a freedomsmith trigger. I have no regrets with this handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wdfwguy said:

I was at the range shooting my CZ, and someone offered to let me shoot their Canik.  I was blown away by the trigger and the accuracy, and now I'd like to pick up one.

Looking at the available models, the version I shot was the TP9SF Elite Salient.  The model I'd get for myself is the TP9SFX. 

But now I'm wondering if the version I shot had some special Salient match barrel and trigger, and I'm going to be disappointed with the SFX trigger and accuracy.

No. 

The TP9SFX is very accurate out of the box and the trigger is great too!

Edited by B_RAD

36 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

The TP9SFX is very accurate out of the box and the trigger is great too!

well i disagree about the trigger, has the longest take up i think of any handgun i've shot, the break is nice though.  i replaced mine with a freedomsmith which took away most of the take up.

and super yes on accurate.  shooting one with a vortex razor dot, at roughly 10-15 yds, was real easy to put them all in something like a 1" group, slow fire of course.

and from my experience, the same glock 100% reliability.

43 minutes ago, davsco said:

well i disagree about the trigger, has the longest take up i think of any handgun i've shot, the break is nice though.  i replaced mine with a freedomsmith which took away most of the take up.

and super yes on accurate.  shooting one with a vortex razor dot, at roughly 10-15 yds, was real easy to put them all in something like a 1" group, slow fire of course.

and from my experience, the same glock 100% reliability.

It does have some take up. I did but a freedsmoth trigger in mine too. I’m also shooting a Walther with the stock trigger and the take up just doesn’t bother me. Never even notice it when shooting a stage. 

5 hours ago, davsco said:

Why does the takeup matter to you? I can't see any reason to care about it since the reset is very short, and the takeup is so light that it has no practical effect on what is otherwise a pretty crisp single action trigger in mine. (To be fair, I dropped a 6.5 lb Glock striker spring in mine, but no other trigger mods.)

Edited by Yondering

I have a TP9FSx and it is a very accurate pistol. Changed the trigger to a Freedomsmith which was very helpful- also changed the striker and plunger springs. Trigger pull is now about 2.5#'s and very crisp- short overtravel and reset.

Put a DDP on it for CO- comes with a plate to do this. Bought a different holster that does not lock. Great pistol for CO. Reload for it- about 950fps 124 grain bullets. Great pistol for the money.

Thinking about changing the recoil spring and putting in a tungsten guide rod with adaptor. This should reduce muzzle flip quite a bit.

Edited by verla
additional information

Seems to be the new "go to" pistol up here in the Frozen NW.......I have seen it make serious inroads in the Production shooters world. I like the feel of them far better then a Glock, and for the price it seems to be something to be considered seriously. The trigger is no match grade version, but it has been reported the Freedomsmith makes a world of difference. Flr the cost it would be my choice if I ever shot Production seriously.  Right now I am in CO with a CZ, but it is getting rather crowded. 

Just might be time to venture into a new Division...............

ok- you are correct- I looked at the wrong page in my reloading book. Was looking at 147 grain bullet. 124 grain bullets going at 1090 fps gives a power factor of about 135. This load performs/cycles very well in my Canik. Wish I had bought one a long time ago.

If I can find one at the right price I want to try a Trijicon SRO on this pistol. The grip angle approximates that of an STI that I shoot quite a bit- 38 super open, 40S&W limited and 9mm in 3 gun.

Currently I have  a DPP with a 7.5 MOA triangle on it and this performs well.

Edited by verla

• 5 months later...

I have an SFx as well and agree with the above comments.  Put in a Freedomsmith trigger and you're good to go.  The pistols seem to be very accurate with good ammo.  If you need to play with recoil springs, I recommend this one:

https://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-G17-Stainless-Steel-Guide-Rod-Adpt-Gen-4-p/ndz-glk-gro-blk-g4-g17.htm

I found that a 13# recoil spring works fine with my 147gr 130 pf loads.  YMMV!  Best of luck!

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, Ben53 said:

I have an SFx as well and agree with the above comments.  Put in a Freedomsmith trigger and you're good to go.  The pistols seem to be very accurate with good ammo.  If you need to play with recoil springs, I recommend this one:

https://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-G17-Stainless-Steel-Guide-Rod-Adpt-Gen-4-p/ndz-glk-gro-blk-g4-g17.htm

I found that a 13# recoil spring works fine with my 147gr 130 pf loads.  YMMV!  Best of luck!

Hello Ben. I bought the same guide rod as you from NDZ. However I got the 15lb ismi recoil spring and a 6lb striker spring (6.5 is out of stock). I wonder if this is okay and if you have tried this combo?

Thanks.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:48 AM, tdo722 said:

Hello Ben. I bought the same guide rod as you from NDZ. However I got the 15lb ismi recoil spring and a 6lb striker spring (6.5 is out of stock). I wonder if this is okay and if you have tried this combo?

Thanks.

I haven't tried the 15# spring, but I'm pretty sure if I could find a flat-wire 14# spring I'd try it.  Try the 15# you have; probably will work fine.  I believe I have the 6lb striker; I think they were out of the 6.5# when I got mine.  Good luck and have fun!

I don't think people realize how much of a difference changing the striker spring makes on trigger pull....

The factory striker spring is strong enough to go through dry wall if it gets away from you when you remove it from the striker!  😄

It's designed to fire nato rated machine gun primers and I don't think we need that. The guns firing system did go through the Nato approval process.

Changing to a 6.5 lb ghost spring, coupled with the Freedomsmith trigger made a huge difference regarding trigger function.  Some people may also not realize that if you lower the recoil spring, the factory striker spring may keep the pistol from going into battery because the striker is cocked when the pistols slide goes forward into battery. The factory striker spring is ridiculously over powered for the pistol unless you plan on shooting a bunch of Nato spec ammo.

Picked up a TP9SFX with Vortex at local gun shop yesterday morning. Got to shoot it a little today. Coming from a Top end SV 9 Open gun, it's a big change, but I got to say that the gun flat out shoots and is very accurate with factory 115gr ammo at 144fp. I'm waiting on powder to start reloading the 124MG that I have. The trigger on the gun isn't bad at all once you take up the pre-travel. Got a short reset. The hard plastic grip transfer the 145PF into your hands but coming from a Steel frame gun, I'll have to get use to this. I was VERY surprise with the Vortex. I removed sight plate, install the Vortex and it was shooting dead on from factory. The gun point of aim is very natural for me with the dot always being in the center of the lens when I bring the gun up...Overall, I'm VERY impressed with this pistol, especially for the price point. It was $650 with the Vortex, 2-mags with Alumi base pads, and even comes with holster. 

I spent couple hundred on upgrades today as I'm thinking I'm going to like the pistol enough to keep. Ordered Freedomsmith trigger, ghost 6.5 striker spring, ghost reducer power block plunger spring, Talon granulate grip, 74guiderod tungsten guide rod with 13/14 Wolf commander springs, some taylor freelance +4 basepads and gram followers and springs and a Taylor Freelance brass backstrap..It's going to be a fun build..

Picked up a TP9SFX with Vortex at local gun shop yesterday morning. Got to shoot it a little today. Coming from a Top end SV 9 Open gun, it's a big change, but I got to say that the gun flat out shoots and is very accurate with factory 115gr ammo at 144fp. I'm waiting on powder to start reloading the 124MG that I have. The trigger on the gun isn't bad at all once you take up the pre-travel. Got a short reset. The hard plastic grip transfer the 145PF into your hands but coming from a Steel frame gun, I'll have to get use to this. I was VERY surprise with the Vortex. I removed sight plate, install the Vortex and it was shooting dead on from factory. The gun point of aim is very natural for me with the dot always being in the center of the lens when I bring the gun up...Overall, I'm VERY impressed with this pistol, especially for the price point. It was $650 with the Vortex, 2-mags with Alumi base pads, and even comes with holster. 

I spent couple hundred on upgrades today as I'm thinking I'm going to like the pistol enough to keep. Ordered Freedomsmith trigger, ghost 6.5 striker spring, ghost reducer power block plunger spring, Talon granulate grip, 74guiderod tungsten guide rod with 13/14 Wolf commander springs, some taylor freelance +4 basepads and gram followers and springs and a Taylor Freelance brass backstrap..It's going to be a fun build..

I did the same upgrades to my Canik TP9SFx. I settled on the 14 pound recoil spring. It was really just personal preference. The brass base pads and back strap seemed to balance the gun. It is really easy to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dropped in the Freedomsmith Pro trigger this afternoon and Taylor Tungsten backstrap - I can't believe the difference this trigger made in this gun. I haven't put in the springs or tungsten guide rod yet, but the gun feel and shoots amazing.  The Taylor brass +4 base pads really balance the gun nicely...I truly wouldn't believed that a company could build a competitive gun at the Canik price point..

What model Freedomsmith trigger is everyone using for the SFX? I bought one a long time ago and never installed it as I haven’t been shooting very much lately.
I think it’s the racer version, anyone using one of these? If so how do you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the SFx and Elite Combat Exec (salient). The SFx is probably more accurate by a hair than the EC. I think Salient just designs the parts, but Canik makes them. So the barrels should be about the same (CHF, actually).

My SFx has a freedomsmith trigger, which is a bit better than the salient one, as it has less pretravel/overtravel.