Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik tp9sfx springs?

3Dflyer

A canik tp9sfx landed in my safe due to black friday. 

I have read many discussions about changing spring because the pistol is “over-sprung”, however, i have searched for explanations and symptoms of an over-sprung pistol. 

Can anyone explain these to me?

this firearm appears to be a praised budget friendly competition capable gun. I will be using it potentially for uspsa or multigun as a weekend shooter. 

I have one. It’s great. With the factory RSA it dribbles brass out with low PF ammo. The heavier the bullet, the worse it seems to do it. I had a few failure to ejects with 147 gr/130pf ammo.  

also, some feel it slams forward too hard with the factory RSA. This causes muzzle dip. 

So, by over sprung, this means the recoil spring is too stiff, thus slowing down the slide travel to the rear, but also slamming the slide forward with too much force?  The slow slide hinders extraction and ejection?

During my first shooting session I was using hand loads with a power factor of 125-130 and the brass was reluctant to make it 2-3 feet away from me while my Ruger Lc9s was ejecting the same ammo 10 feet away.

Also, twice it would not strip the next round from the magazine, and the bullet would hang up on the feed ramp.

I may need to look into some upgrades as I want to use my soft reloads.

The factory reduced power recoil spring set up is blue on the end. If you have the one that is black on the end that's the heavier one. With my tp9sfx I'm using a glock striker spring, glock striker safety plunger spring, and a glock gen 3 recoil spring rod with gen 4 adapter. With that I'm using a 13lb glock recoil spring. I can shoot softer loads with this and it improved the trigger quite a bit.

• 5 months later...

This is the one I used on my SFx.  I got an 11# and 13# spring, and found the 13# works great with my 147 grain 130 pf load.  I highly recommend it.  I have no interest except as a satisfied customer.  Noticed that this is an old thread but will post it anyway in case anyone else is interested.

https://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-G17-Stainless-Steel-Guide-Rod-Adpt-Gen-4-p/ndz-glk-gro-blk-g4-g17.htm

I have the blue factory reduced power RSA and it cycles 100pf steel challenge ammo. I'd like to further tune the pistol but has anyone been able to tell a difference between that RSA and a 13lb springnon an aftermarket rod?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have an after market tungsten guide rod with a 14 pound recoil spring. I can tell the difference between the factory reduced recoil spring and the 14 pound after market spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an after market tungsten guide rod with a 14 pound recoil spring. I can tell the difference between the factory reduced recoil spring and the 14 pound after market spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the blue factory feels like higher than 14 lbs? Or less?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The blue is definitely higher weight. Not sure what it is, but it’s higher poundage. My loads have average 136 PF. With a 14 pound recoil spring the brass ejects about 5-6 feet.

I tried a 13 pound recoil spring, it felt too light. Sluggish would be an appropriate description for how the slide felt when it went into battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk