Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Carry Opitcs Milling

Jonesjohnm

I currently have my shadow 2 out for milling with CGW. I was told there are 3 main areas that can be milled to make weight. Not sure which direction to go.

Under the optic

Centered slot on top the slide

2 parallel slots on either side of slide

Is there any general rule of thumb on these things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine done by Primary Machine. Sent it on November 20 and got it back in December 4. I had them install a vortex Viper 6 Moa I had laying around. Quick turn around, great customer service and gave me a nice military discount for the work and services they performed on my shadow 2 slide.

208-CE1-AB-4-A21-40-ED-A59-C-FE65-CEB255

EDE761-BC-D636-4-C3-A-B4-C4-21-ADF82-FE2

On 12/10/2019 at 1:15 PM, Jonesjohnm said:

I currently have my shadow 2 out for milling with CGW. I was told there are 3 main areas that can be milled to make weight. Not sure which direction to go.

Based on my experience with a Walther:

The gun is already well-balanced, and it’s current balance is what you’re used to. In light of that:

1) Try to have the weight loss done so that it balances roughly how it does now - including  the weight added by the optic you choose. Don’t take *all*the weight off the front then add a 1.9oz SRO or DPP in the back.

2) Keep the total weight loss down to around 0.5-1.0oz or it will make the recoil noticeably more snappy. That means that if you pick a 1.5oz optic, don’t take more than 2.0-2.5oz out of the slide.

Most handgun slides are in the neighborhood of 12oz, plus or minus an ounce or two. That means that a 0.5oz weight reduction is definitely noticeable.

Edited by MemphisMechanic