Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
actionshooter

I know this has been beat to death, BUT Which Optic?

Recommended Posts

I want to run a micro red dot on my 9 major gun and have been researching and reading here for 2 days..... damn I can't decide... 

 The number one factor in my mind right now is,  first longevity, then a large window and a crisp dot.   I am leaning to the SRO because of Trijicons reputation but they aren't completely vetted-yet.

 

Just looking for opinions that are based on real field experience...

 

Please tell me what and why... I REALLY need to make a decision and get on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Longevity, large window, crisp dot. You are in for a long hard climb. Hard to find in micros. Individually nor all at the same time. Sorry for the negativity. But its real. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I have at least one of every brand, my favorite to date is the Holosun 510c even though it's big on a pistol. Saying that I just got a Sig 3XL  have not used it yet so maybe have a different opinion . It really looks good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have many brands and models of small reflex sights, both slide mounted and frame mounted.  All but one can be eliminated by one or more of your criteria.  I'll just go over the last three I have used frame mounted on Open guns.

 

RTS2v4:  Nice glass, nice dot, not as bright as some, lousy battery life, at least in all my 6 MOA sights.

DPP 2.5:  Great ergonomics, really bright dot, smaller window, dot blooms at higher brightness settings.

SRO 5 MOA:  probably the last sight I'll use.  It is definitely bright enough, the auto setting does a great job except for white steel in bright sunlight (manual takes care of that), round dot that doesn't bloom at max, and the dot is darker red than others.  Another reason I like it is the window is more round that any others I've looked through.  I can't explain it, but I pick up targets faster through the SRO, especially SCSA targets.  I now have three of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, zzt said:

I have many brands and models of small reflex sights, both slide mounted and frame mounted.  All but one can be eliminated by one or more of your criteria.  I'll just go over the last three I have used frame mounted on Open guns.

 

RTS2v4:  Nice glass, nice dot, not as bright as some, lousy battery life, at least in all my 6 MOA sights.

DPP 2.5:  Great ergonomics, really bright dot, smaller window, dot blooms at higher brightness settings.

SRO 5 MOA:  probably the last sight I'll use.  It is definitely bright enough, the auto setting does a great job except for white steel in bright sunlight (manual takes care of that), round dot that doesn't bloom at max, and the dot is darker red than others.  Another reason I like it is the window is more round that any others I've looked through.  I can't explain it, but I pick up targets faster through the SRO, especially SCSA targets.  I now have three of them.

 

 

When you say "last sight you'll use" do you mean that its your favorite or out of all the ones you have its the last one you'd use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You owe it to your self to look thru a RTS2 with MOA 10 dot. Sounds way to big till you try it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, m700 said:

When you say "last sight you'll use" do you mean that its your favorite or out of all the ones you have its the last one you'd use?

 

My fav of all I've used or looked through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

You owe it to your self to look thru a RTS2 with MOA 10 dot. Sounds way to big till you try it

 

Many shooters are using 10, 12 and 15 MOA dots for SCSA.  The duller red dot is easier to pick up against bright white than a small, sparkling, bright dot.  That being said, I think they are too large for USPSA.  I have 2.5, 5, 6, 8 and 16 MOA dots.  For USPSA I like the 5-6 range better.

Edited by zzt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve looked through a couple of Sig R3 XLs. I liked them enough to buy 2 of them and sell off my DPPs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also consider the FTP Shooting Sports optic. It is basically an updated RTS2 with an bigger window, much nicer buttons and 8moa. It is also brighter and has more available brightness settings.

 

The new Sigs are also very nice but expensive and made by the same place that make RTS2 and FTP.

 

I have used the DPP for years but am switching away from them this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as someone who goes back and forth a lot between iron-sighted and red dot handguns, finding the dot is always the hard part for me.  while some of these newer dots (ie triji sro) have big windows, the dots also sit up somewhat higher.  for instance, the dot on the sro is .770 above the base  while the vortex viper is .564, almost a quarter inch lower.  do the larger windows make it easier to find vs lower height over bore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 510C is the easiest optic for me to "find" quickly. It may be window size, height of where it sits on the mount, etc. For the money it's a great choice. Take the outer shroud off and it will be lighter and won't look like a tank on top the gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davsco said:

do the larger windows make it easier to find vs lower height over bore?

 

For me, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Romeo 3 original,  now the xl, loving its glass size clarity and brightness my 2 originals were great zero issues ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Acsr said:

Romeo 3 original,  now the xl, loving its glass size clarity and brightness my 2 originals were great zero issues ever. 

Exact same situation. Loved my original Romeo 3s, like the XL a lot so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, zzt said:

I have many brands and models of small reflex sights, both slide mounted and frame mounted.  All but one can be eliminated by one or more of your criteria.  I'll just go over the last three I have used frame mounted on Open guns.

 

RTS2v4:  Nice glass, nice dot, not as bright as some, lousy battery life, at least in all my 6 MOA sights.

DPP 2.5:  Great ergonomics, really bright dot, smaller window, dot blooms at higher brightness settings.

SRO 5 MOA:  probably the last sight I'll use.  It is definitely bright enough, the auto setting does a great job except for white steel in bright sunlight (manual takes care of that), round dot that doesn't bloom at max, and the dot is darker red than others.  Another reason I like it is the window is more round that any others I've looked through.  I can't explain it, but I pick up targets faster through the SRO, especially SCSA targets.  I now have three of them.

 There have been a lot of votes for the Romeo... but I shot an Atlas this weekend with an SRO on it and man that was an impressive optic... Its leading on the list right now.

 

One of the frustrating parts is that a different mount is needed just to try different optics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, actionshooter said:

One of the frustrating parts is that a different mount is needed just to try different optics.

 

 

Totally agree!  It's very annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clw42 said:

Totally agree!  It's very annoying.

 

And the need to modify them to fit your gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, zzt said:

And the need to modify them to fit your gun.

 

Yes, this is just an area where standardization would be very helpful for the end user

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 8:20 AM, Posvar said:

The 510C is the easiest optic for me to "find" quickly. It may be window size, height of where it sits on the mount, etc. For the money it's a great choice. Take the outer shroud off and it will be lighter and won't look like a tank on top the gun.

I have it on my open gun as well my problem is with the dot brightness it gets washed out a bit on sunny days. Do you experience the same thing when the sun is behind you?

 

im hoping they would come out with a bigger moa so the dot will be easier to find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can concede that less bright dots are harder to see. But I can argue that finding the dot comes more w/ training or practice and less on brightness nor size of window/lens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...