Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Compensator

FinishGuy

Eric's comp (Aircooled6racer) is also very good.  It is stell, so the thermal expansion is the same as the barrel.  It will come loose much less often than Al or Ti comps on a steel barrel.

Eric's Comp.jpg

Edited by zzt

On 12/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, FinishGuy said:

I am considering building a 9mm major open gun with a 2011 platform. Thinking of using a threaded barrel. Looking for some opinions for a comp.

Are you going to do any poppels?

If not the mbx comp works much better than the binary.

If so x2 3/16 plus the binary is much better.

Not sure about The mbx with popples yet, will be trying that in the future.

Nose weight is very different when comparing long titanium vs long stainless if that's a concern.

The binary takes more work to fit depending on barrel. 

.685 tap and die along with a egw align reamer.

I should have probably explained I'm planning on taking a 9mm STI 2011 and converting to a 9mm Open gun. The 2011 has a bushing barrel so I was hoping to use the existing barrel. So.....there in lies my question,  which type of comp that would work with that configuration. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

46 minutes ago, FinishGuy said:

I should have probably explained I'm planning on taking a 9mm STI 2011 and converting to a 9mm Open gun. The 2011 has a bushing barrel so I was hoping to use the existing barrel. So.....there in lies my question,  which type of comp that would work with that configuration. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

A cone comp can be fitted to a bushing barrel.  A gunsmith threads an inch or so of the bushing barrel and put the cone comp on.  If you cannot find the comp design you like, EGW sells a conversion cone.  It goes on like a cone comp, but it's threaded like a bull barrel.  So you can use any comp you like.  You'll also have totake a little material off the front of the slide to fit the comp, unless you are willing to leave an unsightly gap between the comp and the slide.

Edited by zzt

Hello: I would suggest you rebarrel the pistol with a bull barrel. There are more options using a bull barrel comp than a cone comp. The EGW adapter works ok but you can't go back to a bushing once you thread the bushing barrel you have. I like my comp since it does not need any barrel holes and shoots softer than any of the other comps I have tried. Thanks, Eric