Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have 2 cool shots to list. #1 - A few years back I was at my parents farm getting ready to do a little target practice with a terribly inaccurate Mini-14. At this time, fox could be hunted year round. As I was pulling the gun out of the car I looked up into the meadow and saw a rabbit. While watching the rabbit some movement caught my eye and it was a fox stalking the rabbit. I popped in a magazine and took a shot at the fox at about 250 yards. The gun being as inaccurate as it was, I missed. The fox took off. I fired another round at about 300 yd's. The fox put it into high gear. I fired one more round at 350 yd's and dropped him on a dead run.

#2 - After attending the first day of hunter safety class, my son and a friend of his wanted to do some shooting in preparation for the next days live firing portion of the class. I took them to our gun club and set them up with a clay target thrower and since both boy's were experienced with firearms, I left them to themselves about 25 yd's away. I took my 9x21 open gun along just to fire off my last 20 rounds of ammo before reloading a fresh batch. Since they were missing a few, I thought I'd take a shot at them as they croossed in front me. 3rd shot, I hit one and since they knew they missed they looked in my direction and saw me with a big grin. Clay target, crossing shot at 50 yd's with a pistol and 2 witnesses. I packed it back up and quit right there for the day.

• 4 months later...

this isn't a "cool shot" that i had but something i saw a the range one time

my wife (girlfriend at the time) and i were shooting my rifles and we had everything set up with sand bags and spotting scope and reloads that i had made

along came a guy who was going to shoot his new hunting rifle a lever action  Marlin 30-30 with a scope on it right from the local hardware store that sold it to him , when we went dfownrange to post new targets, buddy brings down this big picture of a deer and staples it on to a target holder

when we get back to the firing line i am getting all set to shot and i see this guy putting on a hard hat one of those ones that have the ear muffs right on them, like you would use while running a chainsaw,

he stands up behind the bench a puts one foot up on the chair and proceeds to rapid fire the whole 5 rounds at this picture of the deer, he loads up again and blasts away, just racking the lever action like the wild bunch,

he finally runs out of ammo and is jumping around waiting to go see his target ( the deer picture)  i walked over to his target and he is looking all over the picture to see where his shots went, there were no holes whatsover in his paper,

just to make him feel better i told him that i saw his bullets in a one inch group just six inches off the paper

Not a cool shot of mine, but something happened a few days ago I think is just ultimately cool. This past week, Wednesday thru Sunday, we had a major sportsman's show out at the Puyallup Fairgrounds in Tacoma. The range/gun shop I teach at was running a tent out there, and one of the things they had was a "BB gun trailer," which is just what it sounds like. Set up inside a mobile trailer you've got a little short 25-foot range, complete with target carriers and indoor lighting. This thing used to be owned by Washington state's hunter safety program, who decided they couldn't afford it so they gave it to Oregon, who in turn brought it up to Washington state for the Bull's-Eye to run at the show.

The deal is that any kid - or kid at heart, and believe me, we did have a fair number of adults - could step right up and and, for free, fire five pellets out of a Gamo air rifle at a target set up at 25 feet. The targets we were using had the Bull's-Eye Shooter Supply logo (consisting of the name of the business and an image of a cape buffalo with telescopic crosshairs for a left eye, because I knew you wanted to know) in black ink inside a 6" circle. Nice advertising for the range, and it's a fun target for the kids to shoot at.

So I and a friend of mine volunteer to run the thing all day Wednesday and Saturday. End of the day Saturday evening, we're about to close it down after a 10-hour shift, the owner of the Bull's-Eye, Brian Borgelt, comes up to me and says, "Let's make this next family the last group....we've got a disabled child who wants to try this." So this family comes up, mother, father, two sisters, and a little boy in a wheelchair. The kid is blond-haired, thin as hell, we're talking cancer thin, on top of that his right leg is in a cast all the way up to the hip. I say to my friend Justin, "I'll take this one."

The boy asks me, "Will this hurt me?"

I say, "Absolutely not. I PROMISE you it won't. This thing has just about no recoil. Let me show you how much recoil this thing has." So I cock the gun, insert a pellet, close it up, center the gun butt on my forehead and pull the trigger. The gun barely moves and the kid can see the gun doesn't hurt me.

He doesn't want to shoot from the wheelchair, he wants to do it from standing. And he can't even stand on his own. His father has to stand behind him with his hands around the torso under the boy's armpits to hold him up. I give him a short lecture on how to stand, aim, manipulate the trigger, all that good stuff. Demonstrate firing one shot. And this kid is SMART, I can tell he's getting it all.

I load up the gun, fit it into his shoulder pocket, put the gun into his hands. He's so short he can rest his support hand elbow on the 2-1/2" tall shooting table built into the trailer. I put my left hand under the gun's forend, ask him, "Do you want me to put my hand here to support some of the weight?" He says yes. He fires the first shot. I watch him, not the gun, not the target, him.

And his technique is EXCELLENT. I'm impressed as hell. I look downrange. You can't see anything on the target but that doesn't bother me. His father says, "I can't see anything, did he even hit the target?"

I reply with confidence, "Oh yeah, he hit the target. I'd just about bet you money the reason you can't see anything on target is because at this distance you can't see that little black hole in the middle of all that black lettering in the center of the target."

Dad asks me, "How do you know that if you can't see it?"

"Because I was watching him. His technique was excellent. There's no way he could've NOT hit the target."

For his second shot the boy says to me, "I want to try holding the gun up by myself without your hand on it...if that's okay."

Well by this time I'm realizing this kid is one of the most extraordinary human beings I've ever met, so I say, "Of course it's okay. Do it your way." And he CAN hold the gun up, steady, with those pipe cleaner arms. He fires the second shot, the third, the fourth, with me breaking and recocking and reloading the gun for him between shots. And we STILL can't see anything on target. Dad is mildly freaking. I'm cool. The kid is having a ball. Very serious, very calm, really into what he's doing. After the fourth shot I tell him, "You're doing really good. The one thing I might suggest is that you don't pull the trigger quite as hard as you did that last time. Remember what I told you about taking up the slack and then just pulling the trigger really smoothly."

"Because if I pull it hard that could cause me to jerk."

"Right! I mean the way you did it was good, you hit the target, but let's just try it this time with a really smooth trigger pull and see what happens."

And that's exactly what he does. It was PRETTY. So I break the gun open for the last time, set it down with the action open, say to him, "Okay, let us see what we shall see," start reeling in the target carrier.

Five shots right into the center of the target circle. It was magic. The kid's smile was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I damn near cried.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 5:50 pm on Feb. 16, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

I just thought you should know, after your wonderful replies to my post I thought to myself, "Damn, this might make a good article." So I e-mailed it to Mark Pixler at Dillon's Blue Press. He liked it. It'll be running in a few months. Thanks again for all the kind words.

• 1 year later...

One comes to mind. At SOF Raton, they had a precision match were the 1st cold shot was a 1" PVC pipe at 104 yrds. The rear was taped. You had to line up your site picture and drill the tape with out hitting the pipe. only 2 of use did it.

I was shooting a PSS .308 W Burris Black Diamond 6X24 Ball. Mil. Dot.

The other shots in the match were fun too. From the 2nd story window of a portable range tower, engage Larues out to 520 with a 25-35 mph cross wind.

Love long range rifle. TT

A one shot kill on a prairie dog at a measured 602 yds, in front of my two hunting buds. Nov 1999, Norwood, Colorado. 250 Ackley Imp, 85 gr Vmax @ 3680 fps. Custom Rem 700, Lilja bbl, Canjar single set, 24x Leupold. That's my most incredible with a rifle.

Most incredible shotgun shot I ever saw was in 1962 at Houston Gun Club. I was trying to learn how to shoot skeet with my bud and we were watching this really old guy give a skeet lesson to a comely young gal, with not much success. Finally in exasperation, the old instructor tells the puller to go into the ladies room in the club house and bring him the hand mirror in there. The trapper gets the mirrow and gives it to the old guy.

Old guy stands at #5 facing away from the skeet field and puts the 1100 20 ga over his shoulder, looks into the mirrow and calls, "Pull". Proceeds to break both a right and left over his shoulder, looking in the mirror. Old guy turns to the gal and tells her, "Did you see that? It isn't that hard". Old guy hands the mirror back to the trapper and tells him to go return it to the club house.

Trapper says."Yes, sir; Mr. Ilseng."

Can't say for sure what the most incredible pistol shot was which I have witnessed, but one of the most memorable was watching John Shaw at the '81 Natl's shoot the Colorado Speed Shoot three times with a two port .45, shooting all heads on 6 targets and the stop plate and average 5.7 seconds, from concealment. Probably not blazing by todays standards, but really an unbelievable feat in 81. He shot only heads on targets ranging from 7 yds to 27 yds, most with hostages, hard cover or in a Z combo.