Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbon burn removal ?

Revofan

9 hours ago, Yondering said:

yes, Flitz or other metal polishes will do that, so will lead remover patches.

Fast evaporating solvents like brake cleaner and laquer thinner are not very good for removing carbon. WD-40 and other oily solvents like kerosene, diesel, etc do a much better job, but you'll need to put some elbow grease into it as well. You could try some fine steel wool, or copper or brass scrubbing pad (i.e. Chore Boy pads). 

Chrome is pretty hard and durable, you don't need to worry about damaging it with most chemicals, just avoid abrasives like polishing paste, scotchbrite pads, or sand paper since all of those will change the finish. 

I was thinking the same 

I’ll try Brake cleaner first and go from there 

5 hours ago, GMP said:

Try Kroil.   Wet it down and let it sit overnight.  Better than most gun products

This. Kroil or some other penetrating oil, even WD-40, is your best bet, followed by some scrubbing after a soak. Brake cleaner won't do much of anything for carbon usually; it doesn't dissolve carbon and just removes whatever oils may have soaked into it. Loosening the carbon with penetrating oil is what you want. 

Edited by Yondering

6 hours ago, Yondering said:

This. Kroil or some other penetrating oil, even WD-40, is your best bet, followed by some scrubbing after a soak. Brake cleaner won't do much of anything for carbon usually; it doesn't dissolve carbon and just removes whatever oils may have soaked into it. Loosening the carbon with penetrating oil is what you want. 

Kroil! I was trying to remember the name, that's what AAC told me to use to help break up the carbon on their Anodized aluminum baffles that are notoriously sensitive for cleaning.   

Also another possible option is toothpaste, I used it once to clean off the carbon on a SureFire light that had a ton of carbon build up. But it did take off the anodizing to, so be sure to first  try in a small area where you won't notice if does effect the finish. 

8 hours ago, Archangelgt said:

Kroil! I was trying to remember the name, that's what AAC told me to use to help break up the carbon on their Anodized aluminum baffles that are notoriously sensitive for cleaning.   

Also another possible option is toothpaste, I used it once to clean off the carbon on a SureFire light that had a ton of carbon build up. But it did take off the anodizing to, so be sure to first  try in a small area where you won't notice if does effect the finish. 

I actually did try toothpaste because that’s what I use to clean The blast residue off the glass on my Cmores 

it took some off but not the burnt on s#!t 

So I tried

wd40  and a hard scrub 👎🏼
blast penetrating oil And a hard scrub 👎🏼

so I usually soak comps in a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar for 24hrs and everything melts off and any lead softens up so I can just pick it off 

i soaked the slide over nite and it took 95% of it off 

83796603-FC77-44E2-99F5-11263D26CAC9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Undiluted Simple Green Pro HD works well. Some brake fluid works, some doesn’t. Slip 2000 725 cleaner. I’ve personally used all of these on burnt carbon removal, with excellent results. For best results apply liberally and allow to soak for at least 5 minutes.

Edited by igolfat8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...