Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can a Redding Seating Micrometer be used on Dillon Dies?

So I have a set of Dillon dies for my 650, but want to adjust the depth of the bullet for load development in .308.  I want to use a micrometer adjuster and was wondering if anyone has or if you can use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Redding-Bullet-Seating-Micrometer-Remington/dp/B00RY9RHC4/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2HK7DBG3GSIG5&dchild=1&keywords=hornady+micro+adjust+seating+stem&qid=1575742387&sprefix=hornady+micr%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-9

I can't seem to find dimensions on dillon dies to see if they use ½-20  threads.

And I don't really want to spend $120 on a seating die, when I already have a seating die, I just want more adjustability.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:20 PM, sasquatch981 said:

So I have a set of Dillon dies for my 650, but want to adjust the depth of the bullet for load development in .308.  I want to use a micrometer adjuster and was wondering if anyone has or if you can use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Redding-Bullet-Seating-Micrometer-Remington/dp/B00RY9RHC4/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2HK7DBG3GSIG5&dchild=1&keywords=hornady+micro+adjust+seating+stem&qid=1575742387&sprefix=hornady+micr%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-9

I can't seem to find dimensions on dillon dies to see if they use ½-20  threads.

And I don't really want to spend $120 on a seating die, when I already have a seating die, I just want more adjustability.

The Dillon (PISTOL) dies have an internal sleeve that floats, so the interior is smooth - no threads for the Redding or Hornady micrometer head to thread into.

EDIT - Actually I am referring to pistol above.  The RIFLE Seating die does have threads, but I'm not certain of the thread size/pitch...

screenshot-53.png

Edited by 78Staff

The direct answer to you question is no, a Redding insert will not fit in the Dillon die.

If you look at page 19 on the Redding catalog  the part you referenced in the Amazon link, 9183,  fits in a Redding seating die and is not a complete seating die and will not work in the Dillon seating die.  You can replace the entire Dillon seating die with a Redding seating die.

Dillon sells the Redding micrometer seating die.

Edited by markcic

FWIW, I measured the Dillon rifle seating stem and it is .485 inches wide and the pitch is 20tpi

Checked with a standard Redding seating stem and it will not fit. It is .556 inches wide.

Edited by RGA

• 3 weeks later...