Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2020 PCC Nationals in Frostproof FL

barrysuperhawk

Ok guys, this is a big step for me, but I think I might have qualified for a 2020 PCC nats slot in Frostproof.  This will be my first time going there, so I figured I would start a thread for anything from Range information (I have none, i'm not actually in the match yet), Lodging, to actual match discussions (this will be my first nationals match, if I get in).  So, tell me what I need to know, please.

Nothing good near there at all. Bays face east/west so shooting into rising or setting sun very likely. Parking decent. Real bathroom and plenty porta johns. You can fly into either Orlando or Tampa and drive the same distance. The bays are mostly grass but some can be very sandy. It will be wet/humid. Eat at Manny's chop house and see all the "stars".

30 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

For me I think I read MCO (Orlando) is the #1 most flown to international airport for Canadians.  Probably because of the mouse.

ie: easy to get flights 

bTW, only my AF nerd dad (retired O-5) would know this: MCO stands for McCoy AFB which occupied the site previously. Now humorously called “Mickey’s Corporate Office” 

Cool, Airport information is good.   I am a wierdo that drives everywhere, and especially because I don't have a realID yet...I will probably drive.  

I thought I read about a required range video/safety class or something but it was on my phone and I cant locate where I read it to go back to it to see if it applied to me.

In that same vein, how does the range / nationals deal with the PCC eccentricities such as muzzle up/down, chamber flags, slings, shooting carts, umbrellas, golf carts, what-have-you?  I know what the answers are at my local club(s) but I would hate to drive 900 miles to find out that I need to transport my PCC with the muzzle opposite of what I planned, and have to figure it out on the fly or some other avoidable dilemma.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:48 AM, Balakay said:

Ok, I admit there is some duplication, but as you see above I *did* ask some PCC specific questions too...  Or did I put this in the wrong section...if so, sorry, how do I get it moved?

Edited by barrysuperhawk

1 minute ago, barrysuperhawk said:

Cool, Airport information is good.   I am a wierdo that drives everywhere, and especially because I don't have a realID yet...I will probably drive.  

Real ID is not needed to fly domestically until Oct 1, 2020 so you’d be fine.

Flying to Orlando then renting a car may be cheaper, thanks to Disney keeping prices into MCO cheaper than almost any other destination in the country. Particularly if your city has Southwest Airlines service.

Then you just ship your ammo to the address that Nationals provides (Frostproof is good at handling this per Cody and Joel on the Shoot Fast Podcast)  and it’s there waiting on you.

Ammo box better have your name on all sides and taped to death. It is there and available but they don't treat it like fine china and stack it label out. It's stacked in a connex, figure it out yourself pile.

No video to watch prior to any uspsa nats I've ever shot there, like 10 of them now.

Are you following uspsa rules for pcc handling at your home range? Then you'll have no surprises. It, universal shooting academy,  doesn't have "gotcha" rules like other ranges I've been to in Florida like say Homestead where aannyy muzzle over the berm at any time was a dq. (Houses are right there near it)

You'll very like do shooting things you've never done before at a Shannon match, but you'll never see dumb non- rules stuff mandated.

I've seen people on golf carts there but not sure if they got an OK for it. I've seen tons of people on those little, scooter like, electric bikes. I've never seen a competitor at a pistol match there using say a utv, side by side or 4 wheeler.

Edited by rowdyb

Buy some bright flashy coloured duct tape and duct tape the **** out of your ammo box.  I use a cardboard box with  Dillon boxes that I’ve wrapped in nylon reinforced tape, usually 3-4 Dillon boxes taped together.  I take that box seal it like I’m shipping it  and put that in a tight fitting cardboard box that gets sealed with more nylon and duct tape with my name and address on 3 sides.

you just want to make sure everything is tight and can’t shift and bust out during the abuse of the sorting stations.  I’ve seen videos of ups and fedex facilities.  Boxes can drop down 45degrees for 30+ feet. Not to mention the guys loading unloading the trucks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-96-in-x-21-8-yds-Extreme-Shipping-Strapping-Tape-with-Dispenser-8959-RD-DC/202077816

On 12/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, rowdyb said:

Are you following uspsa rules for pcc handling at your home range? Then you'll have no surprises. It, universal shooting academy,  doesn't have "gotcha" rules like other ranges I've been to in Florida like say Homestead where aannyy muzzle over the berm at any time was a dq. (Houses are right there near it)

You'll very like do shooting things you've never done before at a Shannon match, but you'll never see dumb non- rules stuff mandated.

I've seen people on golf carts there but not sure if they got an OK for it. I've seen tons of people on those little, scooter like, electric bikes. I've never seen a competitor at a pistol match there using say a utv, side by side or 4 wheeler.

My home Range HATES PCC, so we have all sorts of rules "just for us" for example; I have been in the habit of carrying muzzle down at most any match I have ever gone to, but our club made a special "club rule" that PCC should be muzzle up ONLY.  Then every single stage starts stock on belt, muzzle pointed at an "X" or object, and so on.   The first time I went to a bigger PCC match and I was told that that particular range requested muzzle down at all times and I was allowed to start at low ready, I was unprepared...LOL.

Since the feet/ankles/knees tend to get cranky, I try to have something handy that I can sit on if the opportunity presents.  The golf cart is a pain in the butt to haul, but very useful at larger or more rugged ranges and 3 gun matches where there is alot more junk to keep track of.  But looking at the satellite, neither seems to be the case here, in fact I think I would be fine with a luggage cart and a homer bucket from the looks of things.

USA_map.JPG

iirc from recent nat'ls, they had bench seats at most if not all bays.  carts/wagons with small wheels didn't work so good there with the rocks in the walking trail.  jogging strollers with their bigger wheels should work just fine.  from parking area to furthest bays i think was well under 200yds.

8 hours ago, barrysuperhawk said:

Nice, thats exactly the type of info I was looking for.  

correct. each bay has a picnic table and a few benches under cover. the center access road is crushed corral of a NON uniform shape and size.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:55 PM, barrysuperhawk said:

I thought I read about a required range video/safety class or something but it was on my phone and I cant locate where I read it to go back to it to see if it applied to me.

You may be thinking about the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park.  They do require that you "successfully complete the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park safety class"; which when I was there, consisted of watching a short video.  

18 hours ago, AR_James said:

You may be thinking about the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park.  They do require that you "successfully complete the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park safety class"; which when I was there, consisted of watching a short video.  

That's possible,  I was Googleing matches down there and at first I didn't have a frame of reference for which range I was looking for.  

Flying with the gun isn't to bad. Yeah your rifle case is another piece of big luggage to drag around and for big matches you often can't fly with enough ammo. But if you have a hard rifle case, put two locks on it and declare it it really isn't that bad. Just arrive earlier than you normally would as very often you get the "wait 30 minutes over here if we need to call you", or "follow this guy to tsa and they'll check your gun over there". It all adds time. Also skip the eletronic kiosk and go straight to the get help from an actual person line.

• 1 month later...