Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which JP ?

Neither one. Order it and get exactly what you want. The wait is worth it. And if you watch for people selling certs and get a discount code from one of the shooters here you can save a nice chunk of money. I did.

Just for info, I don't believe stoeger actually has that in stock. I tried to order one right before Thanksgiving and when you try to add it to your cart it will pop up saying they don't have sufficient inventory to fulfill the request. 

I’m shooting the top one from the Stoeger pro shop. Previously I’d been running MPXs but got tired of dealing with mpx issues. I messaged the pro shop on a Sunday to check inventory...they had one, so I grabbed it. Had it on the range by Thursday. It has been running great since I got it in early September. It is heavy, especially compared to the MPXs I ran before (ILWT 4.5” barrels with taccom extensions and idler carbon fibre handguards) but I don’t care about that because it just runs. When I get another one I’ll consider one with the lightweight barrel but for now I’m 100% impressed with the JP I’m running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/7/2019 at 10:24 PM, egd5 said:

Neither one. Order it and get exactly what you want. The wait is worth it. And if you watch for people selling certs and get a discount code from one of the shooters here you can save a nice chunk of money. I did.

I gotta agree with my friend E. Unless you need the gun immediately then order and wait. I bought a "rack" gun and then dumped money into it changing things right off the bat. Just do a build sheet and get one exactly how you want. IE stock, grip, handguard, charging handle, safety, enhanced bolt and so on.

As far as normal or short/lightweight barrel that will depend on what feeling you like. I shot the lightweight barrel and liked it.

Edited by rowdyb
On 12/6/2019 at 8:49 PM, Honeybooboo said:

Either are good options and both companies are solid. I'm local to BSPS so I would buy from them. The Ultralight is my preference for Steel Challenge. Some prefer the standard 14.5" pin and weld for USPSA. Both will be 100% reliable with darn near anything that fits in a Glock mag. I have both and if I had to make a choice I'd flip a coin to pick one to shoot on match day. 

Going custom is also a solid option. If you end up going that way I'd be happy to help you through the process. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 11:24 PM, egd5 said:

That's what I just did.  Got it exactly like I want.  

I ordered a JP GMR15 and it shoots great. Then I bought my better half a Leadstar and after shooting it, I bought me one as well. The JP is our back up PCC or a loaner if someone needs to borrow one. The JP was to heavier for her to shoot. 

After contacting JP on questions about various build options on a GMR-15 and having my credit card out and ready to go, I’d say this: maybe get their newer short-stroke bolt and their short-stroke silent captured recoil spring setup, but that’s it, that’s all their innovation right there. Build those things into a quality upper/lower/barrel/trigger and you’ll have a badass PCC. I’m not sure what to think about their PSC-17 side charger option for $700 that sends a chopstick/metal bar towards your cheek/eye lol.

From what I’ve gathered they’re fully aware that their handguard,  as well as their furniture options and trigger options are outdated (they actually recommended “selling or trading that stuff to a buddy” which is sad).

I’m super bummed actually, I’d expected better.

I agree about the side charger, certainly not worth $700. However buy the time you pay for all the other "quality" parts I think you'd have about the same amount into the gun.

I must admit though, I did change out the handguard for a lighter one. But that was just me, there was nothing wrong with the original.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:52 AM, ck1 said:

After contacting JP on questions about various build options on a GMR-15 and having my credit card out and ready to go, I’d say this: maybe get their newer short-stroke bolt and their short-stroke silent captured recoil spring setup, but that’s it, that’s all their innovation right there. Build those things into a quality upper/lower/barrel/trigger and you’ll have a badass PCC. I’m not sure what to think about their PSC-17 side charger option for $700 that sends a chopstick/metal bar towards your cheek/eye lol.

From what I’ve gathered they’re fully aware that their handguard,  as well as their furniture options and trigger options are outdated (they actually recommended “selling or trading that stuff to a buddy” which is sad).

I’m super bummed actually, I’d expected better.

I just received my customized GMR-15 from JP so I am definitely biased.  That being said, I agree to a point that you can take the JP short stroke bolt, put it into a high quality lower and add a bunch of high end parts but does that really save anything?  I did exactly this with a Spikes tactical lower and bolt, Timney trigger, Faxon  barrel (I think), and a Taccom 2 stage buffer and so on.  Spent a lot of time "tweaking" the combination to get it running - got it 99.9% there.  I hate tweaking guns, I want to shoot, not play gunsmith.  The JP runs 100% out of the box, no tweaking required - eadache free - that is worth a couple of dollars to me.  The Spike gun is my back-up now.  (No, I am not really good enough to have a back-up gun but what the heck.)

For what it's worth, I don't see the value in the side charger either but the pros may.  

Phil 

I don’t want come across as some JP hater or something... they make some awesome stuff for sure, and I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one of there rifles (especially if money isn’t a factor).

That said, there is a certain amount of “eye of the beholder” involved with some of their stuff just because of what it costs compared to what you actually get (I’d say the same about some others’ like Wilson Combat, Les Baer, etc). That’s really the only thing I was getting at...

I am ragging on them a bit about their delay on releasing their slimmer m-lok rail option though (they first teased them 8+ months ago, I mean c’mon man lol, shot show is around the corner so maybe it’ll finally come out, we’ll see).  

Well, I'd have to agree about the delayed release of the handguard. How hard can that be? There's more than one aftermarket ones to buy so you'd think they could make one just as easily.

I broke down and put a Smoke Composites carbon fiber one on mine. Kinda expensive, but worth it I think.