Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

[Dumb] Internal added frame weight?

Benevolence

In the USPSA book 21.1 it says “Internal modifications which do not conflict with other clauses of this appendix are ALLOWED”. Can I remove some frame material, fill a channel near the guide rod with a tungsten/lead/steel weight (up to 27.9oz (M&p9 OFM) + 4oz) to get some nose weight? How about without doing internal frame removal? Is the answer any different for IDPA?

Assuming USPSA production I was gonna weigh in and say no, as it isnt specifically mentioned, IAW the special condition 2 which is then repeated for some reason in 5.. There is a grip section that doesnt list adding weight as an allowed mod. Seems you could make your own after market grip by adding tungsten to the removable grip panel.
Honestly that rule book section has turned in to a great big giant hot mess. It's ridiculous. Used to be what set USPSA apart from IDPA.. a clear rule book. Not anymore I see. Gets worse every edition.
Case in point. 
21.1 is in direct contradiction to Special condition 2 and 5.. I mean its night and day.

21.4------Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell. 

To me that says I can create my own aftermarket grip panel and make it heavier as long as it isnt more than 4oz heavier.

However another direct contradiction under specifically not allowed.

"Grips
Non-OFM grip modifications (addition or removal of material) that provide function, such as a beavertail or thumb rest are prohibited."

Geesh in one breath it says one thing another the opposite.  Should just say no beavertails or thumbrests and leave it at that if that was the intint.
Stippling, grip tape, weights are ways of adding and removing material that provide function. 

Ayyiyi,, what a hot mess.

9 hours ago, Benevolence said:

In the USPSA book 21.1 it says “Internal modifications which do not conflict with other clauses of this appendix are ALLOWED”. Can I remove some frame material, fill a channel near the guide rod with a tungsten/lead/steel weight (up to 27.9oz (M&p9 OFM) + 4oz) to get some nose weight? How about without doing internal frame removal? Is the answer any different for IDPA?

What division?

Assuming USPSA production I was gonna weigh in and say no, as it isnt specifically mentioned, IAW the special condition 2 which is then repeated for some reason in 5.. There is a grip section that doesnt list adding weight as an allowed mod. Seems you could make your own after market grip by adding tungsten to the removable grip panel.
Honestly that rule book section has turned in to a great big giant hot mess. It's ridiculous. Used to be what set USPSA apart from IDPA.. a clear rule book. Not anymore I see. Gets worse every edition.
Case in point. 
21.1 is in direct contradiction to Special condition 2 and 5.. I mean its night and day.

21.4------Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell. 

To me that says I can create my own aftermarket grip panel and make it heavier as long as it isnt more than 4oz heavier.

However another direct contradiction under specifically not allowed.

"Grips
Non-OFM grip modifications (addition or removal of material) that provide function, such as a beavertail or thumb rest are prohibited."

Geesh in one breath it says one thing another the opposite.  Should just say no beavertails or thumbrests and leave it at that if that was the intint.
Stippling, grip tape, weights are ways of adding and removing material that provide function. 

Ayyiyi,, what a hot mess.

I think you're reading a little too much into the "function" phrase.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

adding and removing finger grooves doesnt require addition or removal of material and they dont provide function ? Adding weight isnt adding material ? and adding weight definetly provides a function.