Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Carry Optics Gun

RangerTrace

So, in an attempt to gain an advantage and combat my 51 year old eyes, I've obtained a STI Stacatto P DUO and I'm gonna try my luck with the Delta Point Pro.  150 rounds tonight for sight in and playing around.  Seems to work really well so far.....Of course the X300 is just for work and night stand duty.

IMG_5927.jpg

On 12/7/2019 at 10:39 AM, Jim Watson said:

Rare to see a CO without cow. 

I know one guy who gets by without iron sights and he has shot enough that acquiring the dot without a post to point the way is no problem.

To me, the sights just get in the way.  The rear sight blocks enough of the glass to be a pain.  I suppose you could/would get used to it but I hared it. 

• 2 weeks later...

hey there, if that is a new 2020 staccato p duo, im curious how it is legal for esp / CO? doesnt the new 4.4" heavy/bull barrel make it illegal? it would be awesome if i was wrong about that, but i thought the limit for bull/heavy barrels was 4.25" currently?

anyone have clarification?

On 12/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, Cjohns61 said:

hey there, if that is a new 2020 staccato p duo, im curious how it is legal for esp / CO? doesnt the new 4.4" heavy/bull barrel make it illegal? it would be awesome if i was wrong about that, but i thought the limit for bull/heavy barrels was 4.25" currently?

anyone have clarification?

per the rule book, You are correct:

8.2.2.2 ESP Permitted Features and Modifications (Inclusive list):

T. Heavy or cone style barrels on firearms with barrel lengths of 4.25” or less.

Per STI: Barrel - 4.15 inch Bull Barrel

https://stiguns.com/2019-product-lineup/staccato-p/ 

That looks Awesome!!

Good Luck.

23 minutes ago, Andy9 said:

per the rule book, You are correct:

8.2.2.2 ESP Permitted Features and Modifications (Inclusive list):

T. Heavy or cone style barrels on firearms with barrel lengths of 4.25” or less.

Per STI: Barrel - 4.15 inch Bull Barrel

https://stiguns.com/2019-product-lineup/staccato-p/ 

That looks Awesome!!

Good Luck.

you are correct that the current model staccato p has a 4.15" barrel and is legal... but this picture looks to be the new 2020 model staccato p, which has a 4.4" barrel. im currently trying to get clarification from IDPA here in Michigan, but early signs are that this gun as pictured (if it is the 2020 model) are NOT currently legal for IDPA, in any division.

im wondering if anyone else has heard different? 

i have voiced my opinion to my local IDPA rep. and he didnt totally rule it out since it is a mass produced gun aimed specifically at carry/leo use. but with the way the rule currently states, it would be illegal.

it would be awesome if the new longer version would be idpa legal as it would also be a great entry level way to get on a true 2011 platform and be both idpa legal and big enough to be truly effective for 3 gun as well.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:24 PM, Cjohns61 said:

you are correct that the current model staccato p has a 4.15" barrel and is legal... but this picture looks to be the new 2020 model staccato p, which has a 4.4" barrel. im currently trying to get clarification from IDPA here in Michigan, but early signs are that this gun as pictured (if it is the 2020 model) are NOT currently legal for IDPA, in any division.

im wondering if anyone else has heard different? 

Calm yourself sir, this is the Gen2 with a 4.15" barrel.....all of the Ranger guns will  be 4.15 or 5.00

1 minute ago, RangerTrace said:

Calm yourself sir, this is the Gen2 with a 4.15" barrel.....

did i not seem calm? not sure what thats about... anyways... i did qualify my whole premise by first asking if this was in fact a 2020 P (listed as 4.4" in sti's press release). I thought it was the 2020 due to the "butler" cut (or whatever you want to call it) instead of the flush cut of the 2019 version.

i wasn't trying to call out your gun for being illegal (if thats what the calm yourself was about?), im just looking to see if anyone has any info that i dont have on the legality of the 4.4" version, which i thought based on the pictures, yours appeared to be.

i was under the impression that there is a 2019 and a 2020 version, and based on the pictures in the press release and the sti website

- the 2019 has a flush cut 4.15" barrel

- the 2020 has a little cut (like a quasi butler cut) and a 4.4" barrel

so when you say you have a gen2, and i see the little design cut, im a little confused. did they release a gen 2 of the 2019 version with that cut and the shorter barrel (and new grip it looks like based on your picture)? thats super cool, its a great looking gun!

my comment really only applied if your gun was the 2020 model with the 4.4". due to your amount of posts and your listed idpa number in your signature i just got hopeful that you maybe had some magical piece of info that i didn't have that would make the new 4.4" legal for ESP or CO division. if you see pictures of the current 2019 model and the new 2020 4.4" model you will understand why i thought yours was the new one.

again, it would just be awesome to buy the new 4.4" and have it be ESP legal, because it would double as a pretty awesome all around gun for competition. but if its not legal, then id have to look at picking up a 2019 with the 4.15" instead. your picture just got my hopes up!

basically i am buying a staccato P soon either way. just trying to figure out if i need to buy the old version, even if id prefer the new version, to be ESP legal. i really dont want to drop down any smaller to the new C2 with the 3.9".

it seems the new version isn't ESP legal..... yet.... hopefully sti persuades them to allow it.

anyways, have a good night sir, sorry if it seemed like i was shouting about the legality of your gun specifically. i am jealous of the weapon, and will soon acquire one version of it or the other :) 

Not at all CJ, you're taking me way too seriously.  And I know why you are confused.  The original Stacatto P had the full length dust cover and unique slide.  When they designed our Ranger guns, they added the Butler cut, while keeping the 4.15" barrel.  So, sort of a Gen2.  The 2020 design keeps the Butler cut and adds the 4.4" barrel.  I too hope they get it approved for IDPA.   Seems to me that since it's less than 5" long, it would be OK to have a bull barrel.  It will certainly fit the box and I doubt anyone will notice an extra .3" of barrel.

Both of these are 4.15" guns.  Left in the new Ranger gun, right is an original Stacatto P.

IMG_5983.jpg

On 12/27/2019 at 11:52 AM, RangerTrace said:

I just re-read the IDPA rules for ESP.  I doubt they are gonna flex on the "less than 4.25" bull barrel rule.  So now, the Stacatto C2 is going to be your best option for ESP and it has a 3.9' bull barrel.  

yeah with the new gen thats what i was thinking too. maybe im just weird, i know its only a 1/4", but i really dont want to drop below 4" for a few reasons

- the c2 is aluminum frame instead of steel, so i would assume a little sharper recoil

- i already carry a 3" gun every day, so i was hoping for something closer to a full size. 

- i would love the gun to double as an entry into 2011 for 3-gun while i save up for a custom race gun (thats why the 4.4" was so appealing). so when the gun is already under sized another 1/4" just turns me off

oh well, i know i can always pick up a 2019 version and roll with that for both idpa and 3 gun, then when i get my dream 3 gun pistol ill just shoot idpa w/ the sti. cant have too many 2011's

def some first world problems over here :)

29 minutes ago, Cjohns61 said:

yeah with the new gen thats what i was thinking too. maybe im just weird, i know its only a 1/4", but i really dont want to drop below 4" for a few reasons

- the c2 is aluminum frame instead of steel, so i would assume a little sharper recoil

- i already carry a 3" gun every day, so i was hoping for something closer to a full size. 

- i would love the gun to double as an entry into 2011 for 3-gun while i save up for a custom race gun (thats why the 4.4" was so appealing). so when the gun is already under sized another 1/4" just turns me off

oh well, i know i can always pick up a 2019 version and roll with that for both idpa and 3 gun, then when i get my dream 3 gun pistol ill just shoot idpa w/ the sti. cant have too many 2011's

def some first world problems over here :)

Here is what I'm going to do......I'm going to go with the 4.4" Stacatto P and have it fit with a bushing barrel.  No issues for ESP then.