Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Load for STI

adamastergunner

I’ve been using the exact same load shooting it out of that exact same gun for 3 years.

9mm 147 grain Xtreme Bullets round nose.

1.142”

3.4 grains VV N320.

That loads gives you a 129-130 PF that feels lighter out of the DVC limited.

57 minutes ago, DD78 said:

I’ve been using the exact same load shooting it out of that exact same gun for 3 years.

9mm 147 grain Xtreme Bullets round nose.

1.142”

3.4 grains VV N320.

That loads gives you a 129-130 PF that feels lighter out of the DVC limited.

Appreciate the response DD78. VV powder is freaking expensive though I have never tried it.

Appreciate the response DD78. VV powder is freaking expensive though I have never tried it.

It is compared to almost every powder. Back when powder was hard to find, Powder Valley received a huge shipment of N320 so I bought a lot. Even after running out of it a couple years ago I still buy it. It shoots soft, is accurate, burns clean, and I am too lazy to experiment with other powders. In the grand scheme of things, how much is it adding to the per round price, a penny maybe?

2 hours ago, adamastergunner said:

I am open to any powder.

If you're open to anything than I would go with one of the usual suspects (Titegroup, Sport Pistol, 231/HP-38). Personally, I like WST @ 3.8gr under a 147gr bullet (less if I was using coated lead).

Edited by 4n2t0

From a Glock 17L with Lone Wolf Barrel.  Power Pistol works great and the bang/flash just isn't there at this pressure level.

Bullet:  Bullet Works 147 gr. Plated RN (.3565)
Powder:  Alliant Power Pistol 4.3 grs.
Primer:  Federal 100
Case:  Federal
LOAL:  1.145
Average Velocity:  916.41 fps  
ES:  30.58
SD:  10.04

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 3:09 PM, DD78 said:

It is compared to almost every powder. Back when powder was hard to find, Powder Valley received a huge shipment of N320 so I bought a lot. Even after running out of it a couple years ago I still buy it. It shoots soft, is accurate, burns clean, and I am too lazy to experiment with other powders. In the grand scheme of things, how much is it adding to the per round price, a penny maybe?

DD78 I am getting really squirrely accuracy with the load you provided me. Not sure what the problem is. How is your accuracy out of your gun?

DD78 I am getting really squirrely accuracy with the load you provided me. Not sure what the problem is. How is your accuracy out of your gun?

It’s great out of mine. At 25 yards, if I shoot 10 rounds at the a zone in a headbox, 8-9 rounds are in it. I actually use that load and the DVC limited to shoot police pistol combat during the winter and most matches shot with that gun are over 465.

Edit - have you run the loads over the chronograph? With that load I’m getting SD’s in the single digits.

On 12/25/2019 at 9:03 AM, adamastergunner said:

I agree with the load suggestion DD78 provided. I also use N320 exclusively in 9mm. I don’t believe it is the powder causing the accuracy issue, It most likely is the COL. 

I suggest you load 10 rounds at 0.005” increments and shoot groups.  I did this many years ago and found that 1.135” was very accurate and provided a 2SD in velocity.  

the results were exactly shaped like a bell curve with accuracy and standard deviation. 

Edited by Butterpuc

I've got a ton of WSF so I use 3.8 gr over 147gr Extreme plated, loaded to 1.14 OAL.  Makes about 125 to 130 out of my STI SteelMaster.  For Bayou Bullets 145gr coated rounds I use 3.4 gr loaded to the same length.  The coated bullets are definitely faster than plated - 3.4 gr would not reliably eject the plated rounds, but 3.8 gr, no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Butterpuc and DD78 would going form the Xtreme copper plated bullets to FMJ make a difference in the amount of powder or COL needed to make a nice low recoil round that makes Minor PF?

It’s hard to say. I haven’t experimented with FMJ’s, only the Xtreme 147 RN. That’s basically the only bullet I’ve used for the last four years.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:02 PM, adamastergunner said:

I am open to any powder.

For action steel and steel challenge I load 3.8 gr WSF over 147 gr Extreme plated bullets.  Gives right at a 125 power factor.  I've also loaded 3.4 gr WSF over 145 gr Bayou Bullet coated bullets with a low 120's power factor.  Nice, soft and flat shooting out of an STI Steel Master open gun.

13 hours ago, adamastergunner said:

Butterpuc and DD78 would going form the Xtreme copper plated bullets to FMJ make a difference in the amount of powder or COL needed to make a nice low recoil round that makes Minor PF?

Regarding the amount of powder yes, I would expect to see more powder needed with the FMJ vs plated.  Probably 0.3-0.5 grains more.  

regarding the COL, probably not.  I expect the shape of the bullets to be very similar, but that is why I still recommend performing an experiment of multiple COLs.   After doing this my SD (standard deviation) dropped to 2SD.  I had a very accurate load developed.