Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin stop peening frame,why??

vgdvc

Hello shooters. I noticed when cleaning my open pistol there seems to be some peening marks on the top of the frame where the right side of the firing pin stop rests while in battery. Taking the firing pin stop out I can see that the right side bottom is starting to deform confirming that this is what is contacting and peening the frame. I purchased this pistol used and have put about 4,000 rounds on it but have not noticed this until now. Not sure if it's happening when the hammer strikes the firing pin stop and drives it down or perhaps it is influenced after I put in a Dawson extended firing pin. I will admit that the firing pin stop could be tighter but is not excessively loose and I have not seen this on my other 1911 pistols. To anyone who has experienced this or especially has experience and remedied this I would greatly appreciate your input ,thank you.

5 minutes ago, echotango said:

Does the FPS stick below the slide? 

At rest no. If I push down on it there is enough give where it would stand proud of the bottom of the slide. That's why I was wondering if when the hammer strikes it it forces it downward and upon firing is creating these peening marks when retracting rearwards. It is only happening on the right side

Thanks for the input guys. I will order one up from Cheely and start with that as hopefully a remedy. I don't see them giving options for caliber. I'm hoping the one they sell will obviously provide clearance for a 9/38 Super extractor.

Most firing pin stops need to be fitted to the slide and extractor. If that is done correctly then it shouldn't shift around when you shoot the gun. From what you described it sounds like the existing firing pin stop wasn't fit properly and is flopping around within the channel. That is a really good way to break one of the corners off the back of the slide near the extractor tunnel.

Yeah I got the Cheely on order. I installed a new STI fps in that was in the parts box.Much tighter fit and so far no marks on the underside bottom. (Black oxide part  so would show quickly)Rounded profile and lower hammer contact point than Cheely and original so probably not best shape for Open.