Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Cerakote and chipping

Denato1

I recently had my shadow 2 Cerakoted. I had the urban gray and it was flaking off something serious. I get the pistol back from the store, take it home, and reassemble. A couple days go by and I finally have time to Dryfire. 1 Dryfire session and the magwell looks like this and cerakote has started to come off the front from holster wear. I thought cerakote was more durable then this. For what it cost I would have had the gun finished a different way, unless this is considered excessive wear.

IMG_20191203_183127.jpg

You’re showing us the inside of the magwell. Not holster wear.

I’ve done many guns in cerakote myself:

IMG_4921.JPG.af6fcd2cb5cd71affe640e325103b59d.JPGIMG_4924.JPG.f0b69d6240e8ba3d2fc23fb78908ab5b.JPG

Cerakote is tough. Quite tough. But it is very picky about two things:

(1) Mixed to the correct ratio with the catalyst and baked at the correct temperature and time.

And more importantly?

(2) Surface prep. The surface MUST be sandblasted with A/O or red garnet of a very specific grit so that there’s the right amount of tooth. Period.

This would be why cerakote is flaking right off the inside of your frame/magwells/slide after coating. Sandblasting the inside of a magwell to roughen it up isn’t a great idea, so the applicator won’t.

If the surface has been prepped right, doing something like dropping the gun on gravel or having a screwdriver slip will gouge down into the finish. But it won’t chip off.

Because sandblasting the inside of a magwell is a horrible idea, I don’t coat that surface. Since they did? I’m not surprised to see it flaking off.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

what color is that? the metal flake looks larger than what I have seen in the pictures of metalic Cerakote on line also it looks much shiny-er (sp)  so I'm wondering if it is one of the other paint on finishes and not actually Cerakote, like Durakote or KG Gunkote or something else. some of the others go on a bit thicker and are less durable to wear. 

7 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

what color is that? the metal flake looks larger than what I have seen in the pictures of metalic Cerakote on line also it looks much shiny-er (sp)  so I'm wondering if it is one of the other paint on finishes and not actually Cerakote, like Durakote or KG Gunkote or something else. some of the others go on a bit thicker and are less durable to wear. 

I'm betting it's the aftermarket Gun Candy additive to Cerakote clear, it gets sprayed over a black base coat. I've not had great results with that at all. It is much pickier to spray with the H series clear, the manufacturer even recommended just using the C series, which sort of ruins the point.

It may just be the pictures, but that flaking appears to have a base coat underneath, which is on par with my experience with the Gun Candy. The top layer doesn't adhere as well to the base layer as you would find when doing correctly applied multiple layer Cerakote without the additive.

For decorative applications, the Gun Candy goes over great.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I posted this elsewhere? Facebook? But it appears as though they are using a pearl clearcoat (Guncandy at a guess?) over a black base. Its the bond between the base and top coat that is failing. Clears over base never hold up as well as a straight H/Elite series job in my experience ... which is why I dont do them any more.

1 hour ago, Hennig said:

I think I posted this elsewhere? Facebook? But it appears as though they are using a pearl clearcoat (Guncandy at a guess?) over a black base. Its the bond between the base and top coat that is failing. Clears over base never hold up as well as a straight H/Elite series job in my experience ... which is why I dont do them any more.

Thanks for the info. The company asked me to bring it in to be looked at. I have decided to to go with it and use the pistol for what it is, a tool for shooting.

Thanks again