Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roberts Rise

07yzryder

So decided to start this to keep me honest. I shot my first match years ago, was a 1 time thing shooting production, walked in had no clue what i was doing and met some cool people but did horrible and didn't want to go back.

Fast forward to roughly 3 months ago, have a few local matches and some action steel challenges close. Decided that shooting myself doesn't give me any idea of where I sit in comparison to others and so I sucked up my pride and shot a USPSA match near me. Shot mid pack limited and mid pack overall and didn't like it. Shot a few steel and some more USPSA and got a little better but not where I would like to be. Last match I managed to shoot a classifier that i shot 69% in, this weekend ill be shooting an all classifier to finally get classified and give myself a starting point for my rise.

Started reading get to work with steve anderson and have dry fire reloaded, and skills and drills for the practical pistol shooter once im done with get to work.

Purchased scaled targets for dry fire training and have been at it. Really working on draw speed, reloads, and shooting on the move. Luckily the master bedroom in my house is large and I am able to have a mini course as well as a scale 25 yard target.

Currently on a 10 yard target:

Draw to first shot in A zone

Average: 1.4

best .9

Draw fire reload fire into A zone

Average 2.4 second

Best 1.8

currently spending about 3-4 hours per week on dry fire and hoping to scale that up as i get over my sickness. 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Looks like some good times to me, esp for a beginner.

I'm going to start dry firing, soon (New Year's Resolution).   Hope we can both keep up with it   :) 

yea part of my reason for starting a thread in here. Helps keep me honest even though most wouldn't care or notice if i stopped, just something about knowing I have a place i can track that is public lol.

Good luck and keep it up! If you don't have any of the books they include charts to keep yourself honest and keep times. Also helps when they give you different layouts, not sure about you but im not the most creative.

07yzryder> Do yourself a favor and take a class from a top trainer before you waste a bunch of time and effort trying to figure it all out on your own. Your location says Las Vegas which is also where JJ Racaza is located. JJ is a world class shooter, trainer and person in general. He will get you on the correct path in short order. 

http://jjracazatraining.com/

8 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

07yzryder> Do yourself a favor and take a class from a top trainer before you waste a bunch of time and effort trying to figure it all out on your own. Your location says Las Vegas which is also where JJ Racaza is located. JJ is a world class shooter, trainer and person in general. He will get you on the correct path in short order. 

http://jjracazatraining.com/

Makes sense, Watching the GM's i shoot with one of the biggest difference is the aggression. Watching them get out of position they leave like a grenade just landed at their feet, watching JJ he does the same. I know i need to shoot faster and more accurate but i think i can gain a second or so in alot of stages just learning movement which is hard to learn on my own.

He has a class in October I should be able to make been following him since top shot and didnt notice he had classes.

I just missed a Tim Heron class out here as well, funds did not line up at the time but ill put some aside for the october class.

Edit: shoot the site says 2018, ill email and see if there are any in 2020.

Edited by 07yzryder

did alot of dry fire this week since I picked up a CZ TSO to get used to tracking out of the holster and reloads. Noticed that im not looking into the magwell when doing reloads, this works well when im shooting for grins but at speed i was hitting the bottom of the magwell going in. Did some burkett drills looking into the magwell and have reduced the number of failed mag changes.

saturday i went out and worked on shooting on the move as well as leaving a shooting position aggressively and being ready to shoot upon arrival.

Set 2 3x3 shooting boxes with 3 targets and steel. Shooting areas were 10 feet apart and I did variations but all were 2 on each then steel move to the next area and repeat. Did 10 with no reload and 10 with a reload between the boxes, and 10 while shooting the full array moving between the boxes. Then did the array backwards, forwards left and right while moving slowly.

shot an all classifier yesterday. It was 50-50, shot half the stages where I expected to be (high C low B ) the other half I blew.

1st stage had 3 strings, string one went well 5 alphas 3 charlies. string 2, forgot the lock on my holster and lost composure and raced the clock, 4 mikes and 4 charlies, continues to stew and threw another mike, 2 alphas and a charlie.... 

2nd stage there was a long walk to the bay so i had time to relax and shot half decent, with a high c score. This was six in six and i think if I would have focused on hits instead of trying to be cool and get 12 shots in 6 seconds with a reload at my level. Lesson learned.

3rd stage low B, happy with the score at my current level

4th stage 3-v, have no clue what happened. I came out of the holster and first shots were on targets but all high and second shots were all mikes. I think I just rushed it and broke the trigger as soon as i caught the front site, not when the front site was in the channel... another .XX% crap stage.

5th stage was a repeat of stage one with full size instead of classic targets. I was also the first shooter..... kept thinking about stage one and managed to screw this stage up as well with 8 procedurals since it was draw fire 1 round on each target reload and 1 on each... i put 2 on each the first string.... FML 

6th stage shot a high B.

Stage 1 and 5 were mental 100% stage 4 i think i just shot too fast for the position i was in (hard lean around a door) and threw the shots. 

Biggest take aways, 

If you mess up, ignore it and move forward. After words dissect what happened and why, then find out how to avoid it and prevent it in the future.

When shooting in off awkward/off balance positions slow down and dont shoot above your skill level.

Points beat getting all your shots off in a par time with NPM when the par time is quick.

This week i plan on continuing to work on dry fire training. If i'm not working through the weekend or out of town for work I will be doing positional shooting around barricades as well as work at 25 yards a bit. Will also continue to work on getting out of and into position as that is where im losing the most time.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news and bad new, good news, I am finally classified as a C, one good run and a blown run will get dropped and should put me in B class.

Bad news, wrecked my vehicle so ill be on 2 wheels for a bit until insurance has a chance to look it over. Hoping it gets repaird but an airbag deployed so possible total. 

Sitting in FL while i type this, been here since wednesday (wrecked the truck tuesday after finally getting everything confirmed for FL and told to go pack and book travel). No firearm so alot of airgun in the hotel. Have been working on basically pure speed according to anderson. Since i have no pistol i can still work on making my hands move quicker to my hip then up and speed on my hand getting to a mag.

Also movement. Mainly finger gun on target while walking and keeping the "bounce" to an acceptable level. Any training is better then no training.

That said matches will be a bit more limited due to only having a motorcycle and not one that has much space LOL, i can fit my wallet sized tool kit and registration and thats about it so backpacks only. 

Cant wait to be back home and do some more dry fire and hopefully kick that one 0.XX% classifier to the curb.