Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting Shadow 2 from 9 to 40?

MJinPA

Is it possible? My daughter just finished her first year in uspsa as a junior shooting a shadow 2 in production. She’s thinking she’d like to shoot limited next year and possibly shoot nationals.

Limited minor is an easy solution but wondering if it’s possible to get a .40 top end for her shadow 2? Googling has not turned anything up and getting her a matching set of TSOs for Christmas isn’t in the cards right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could fit a new top end on the gun, but it won't be a Shadow 2 slide. A TS slide assembly can be made to fit if you want to keep the frame.

The recoil spring tunnel on the TS slide would have to be thinned and blended, or the frame opened up.

A 75 SA slide in .40 could work as well. 

You're going to be limited on capacity with the 75 pattern mags though, so take that into consideration.

You could fit a new top end on the gun, but it won't be a Shadow 2 slide. A TS slide assembly can be made to fit if you want to keep the frame.
The recoil spring tunnel on the TS slide would have to be thinned and blended, or the frame opened up.
A 75 SA slide in .40 could work as well. 

You're going to be limited on capacity with the 75 pattern mags though, so take that into consideration.

Any idea what the max capacity is in 40 with extended base pads?

Also...it’s sounding like this is more complicated than tossing a 40 upper on it and getting 40 mags, base pads and magwell.

The juice on this cannot possibly be worth the squeeze. Gotta be a better way to get her shooting major. 

That’s what I’m thinking now that I’ve researched more.

2 hours ago, MJinPA said:

Maybe 16. Something with a wider body magazine will be much more suited to the .40. You might look in to a Tanfoglio Limited Custom, even second hand, if the TSOs are out of the budget.

Alternately, the P09 has excellent capacity and is inexpensive, but they're very light for a limited gun.

• 4 weeks later...
Just wait for the DWX coming soon 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

She has her heart set on one! Loves the trigger on my 2011 and the grip on her shadow 2.