Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory 9mm ammo recommendation for compensator

blu3man

As the title states, I’m looking for a recommendation for my wife’s gun. She is currently shooting a Glock 17 with KKM barrel and KKM 4-port compensator in USPSA Open Minor. She shoots Federal 147gr but I’m looking for something that will keep the gun flatter. The gun looks like it has so much recoil when she shoots it, almost as if she has no compensator on it. I don’t reload and I live in Hawaii so I can’t just go online and order a few boxes of ammo.

Edited by blu3man

Does she shoot a lot? Are you sure it’s not her grip or technique? Have you shot it?

I would try the hottest 115 grain load you can find . Should be much better than a slow 147

Thanks for the replies. 

I’ll look into different 115’s. I have shot it and can keep fairly flat. She shoots 1-2 matches a month with me. It is her grip/technique but she also had a wrist injury earlier this year. She used to shoot Production but moved to open because she feels the comp helps her wrist from hurting. 

2 hours ago, blu3man said:

Thanks for the replies. 

I’ll look into different 115’s. I have shot it and can keep fairly flat. She shoots 1-2 matches a month with me. It is her grip/technique but she also had a wrist injury earlier this year. She used to shoot Production but moved to open because she feels the comp helps her wrist from hurting. 

It’s a shame you don’t reload. It’s a safe bet some mouse fart 147’s in a  Glock 34 would be way softer than anything she’s trying in open minor. 

Have not shot the KKM, but believe it was set up for Rolands so 124 nato would be a good place to start. Do shoot a carver 2 port https://www.carvercustom.com/ecommerce/comps-barrels-glock-xdm-s-w-m-p/glock/glock-compensators/gen-3-carver-custom-3-port-comp-9mm-2052.cfm and it works with 115 factory. Usually use federal. Looking at the carver it has smaller side ports so it may work better with lower power ammo.

I have a Primary Machine 2 port comp on a CZ P09 and it works well but I wouldn't say softer than minor loads in a steel gun.  It definitely softens up the minor 124g loads a bit I shoot in my S2.  I have asked this question too but related to reloads, and what I have found  experimenting with various loads is that the efficiency is reached fairly quick over minor PF with the small comps.  So yeah like was said hottest 115/124 factory you can get will be close.  All that said, my buddy shoots a G19 in Carry Optics and uses the 150  Federal Syntec ammo.  Its made for USPSA minor and feels as good as it gets in a G19.  He also had a case of LAX subsonic 160g that was super soft but the gun needed a respring for 100% reliability, plus we didn't chrono it so PF is questionable.  A muzzle weight helps as well, legal in open. 

If you can get your hands on some, I'd suggest Speer Lawman 115.  It's listed at 1200 fps so it is on the stouter side of factory offerings but the biggest bonus is the Total Metal Jacket (TMJ) bullet, making keeping the comp clean much easier than other FMJ offerings.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful about swapping to "hotter loads" without having her test them first. Some hot 115's might end up hitting harder in her hand despite keeping the muzzle flatter. The Federal 115's might be better suited to your wife's setup as the power factor is the same as the 147's just with more gas to help help the compensator a bit. 

• 4 weeks later...