Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PMag D-60

IHMSA15151

I've been thinking of grabbing one of the PMag 60 rd drum mags with all the sales going on right now. Anyone running one? Main use would be for 3 gun (and of course zombies). How do you like it and does if function reliably or have you had issues? Thanks, Steve

15 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

I've been thinking of grabbing one of the PMag 60 rd drum mags with all the sales going on right now. Anyone running one? Main use would be for 3 gun (and of course zombies). How do you like it and does if function reliably or have you had issues? Thanks, Steve

What kind of deals are you finding?  Mind sharing?

I personally have dived face-first into a muddy creek bed with one loaded into my rifle, and it still ran for the rest of the weekend. After the mud started to dry and flake off on the inside, it got a little finicky about feeding when I loaded more than 50 rounds or so, but that cleared up when I broke it down and cleaned it. I've also seen people drop loaded D60s in the mud, pick them up, and have them run fine after just shaking them off a little bit. They're pretty reliable overall.

It's made by Magpul. You buy them because they work. Take the thing out of the box, use it. Continue to use it for years. Mine has been rock solid with anything I've shot through it. Same for friends. We have a 5 stage, 50 round per stage match with winning times in the ~15 second range and for those matches the D60 is king. 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one, then got another after I had such good luck with it.  I also really appreciate how stable it is when shooting off of the magazine in a prone position.  Locks open when empty, is fairly easy to load once you get the hang of it.  

The only thing I've found is if you run your rifle with adjustable gas turned way down, it may be necessary to turn the gas adjustment up one or two clicks for it to be reliable in cold weather.  Well, as cold as it gets here in CommieUnicornia.  52 degrees today, BRRRRRRR.

Nolan

So a follow up. I took my D-60 to the range today and tested it with my 3 Gun rifle, the wife's home defense rifle and a guy that just happened to be at the range who had an AR with him. It worked flawless in all three rifles. I tested it full to the max and with just 10 or so left in it. Not one issue. It wasn't freezing out but was on the cold side, in the low 40's first thing this morning. It takes a little getting use to as far as loading it up but once I found a technique that worked well for me it wasn't all that bad. Definitely something you want to do way before you're "on deck". 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running a D60 as my primary mag for about a year now. I have only had one issue with it not feeding properly. When I pulled the mag out of the mag well, I got to witness the "fountain of gold" when the mag unloaded by itself while I was making ready.

I will agree, loading it takes a while and is something best done right after your run and not while you are on deck or in the whole.