Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai Open - Stroked and Tungsten vs non

falconpilot

I was able to get a few hundred rounds behind my gun. I have both the tungsten sleeved 38 SC, and a regular sleeved 9mm barrel, for same gun. I know the caliber difference will also not be exact, but I agree with kujo929

3 hours ago, kujo929 said:

It is flatter and almost a deadened feel when comparing side by side.

That is a good way to explain it. 

The tungsten and to comp balance the gun help minimize the muzzle rise. I am sure metal grips, aluminum buffs all play there part, but my next purchase will sleeved. I think it makes enough noticable difference. 

I will tell you I have a 9mm, and the new one is 38 SC, I will buy brass, yes it's more expensive, but to me no comparison in feel or just overall performance, 38 SC hands down.

Edited by TRPOperator

11 hours ago, TRPOperator said:

I was able to get a few hundred rounds behind my gun. I have both the tungsten sleeved 38 SC, and a regular sleeved 9mm barrel, for same gun. I know the caliber difference will also not be exact, but I agree with kujo929

That is a good way to explain it. 

The tungsten and to comp balance the gun help minimize the muzzle rise. I am sure metal grips, aluminum buffs all play there part, but my next purchase will sleeved. I think it makes enough noticable difference. 

I will tell you I have a 9mm, and the new one is 38 SC, I will buy brass, yes it's more expensive, but to me no comparison in feel or just overall performance, 38 SC hands down.

There's Soo many slow powder on 9 major like aa7, Major powder that can make it feel like 38sc. Lots of gas to work the comp. You just have to find your load to make gun run at 100percent from 165pf.

6 hours ago, shooterbenedetto said:

There's Soo many slow powder on 9 major like aa7, Major powder that can make it feel like 38sc. Lots of gas to work the comp. You just have to find your load to make gun run at 100percent from 165pf.

Yeah, I started out 9maj, did load with a lot of those, WAC, HS-6, 3n37, Shooters World Major Pistol, AA7. The gun has close to 40k rounds. Once the mags and everything were tuned up, is has been 100% with only a extractor change at around 30k. But the feel of the 38 SC, was just so much better in my opinion. The 9mm will close but just not the same to me.

7 hours ago, TRPOperator said:

Yeah, I started out 9maj, did load with a lot of those, WAC, HS-6, 3n37, Shooters World Major Pistol, AA7. The gun has close to 40k rounds. Once the mags and everything were tuned up, is has been 100% with only a extractor change at around 30k. But the feel of the 38 SC, was just so much better in my opinion. The 9mm will close but just not the same to me.

Ive tried HS-6, Autocomp, AA7 and Major Pistol. Hands down AA7 and MP. Dot barely moves. 

I have a full size 5" non sleeved gun, no Ti comp, just basic gun that I started with in open. I run AA7 as I did not like the wiggle that MP caused the dot to do. I had slightly less movement then AA7, but AA7 tracked straight up and down. 

I know have a tungsten sleeve shorty 38SC with a Ti comp and a 9mm barrel with what I think is a non-tungsten sleeve steel comp, both work in the gun, but the SC is just that much flatter, softer, and smoother. I am not sure how to explain it, but it just feels and shoots better for me. I like both guns, but my full size will be headed back for a retro fit to match the shorty. 

I would definitely love some time behind a sleeved 9mm middy, but man the Shorty is light and fast and transitions so nicely. Its just a sweet gun. 

The other issue that I have seen is several of my friends who shoot 9maj have all had issues, with multiple guns. I know some say they ran out of the box, some not. Mine did after about 500 rounds. Either way is seems (no data) that most of the issues and the ones I have seen have been 9maj. I am guessing it has to do with pressure etc. But that is just my experience. 

Sorry falconpilot for hijacking your thread

For educational purposes.. how much does one of these combinations weigh out? The slide weight and the barrel/comp weight?

To understand how much more significant the barrel weight is when compared to a nonsleeved barrel and also by comparison of the slide weight.

Also, what is the differences in these "shorty" and "middy" guns?

I presume shorty equals officer length slide and barrel? Whereas a middy would be comparable to a commander length?

Not only this but.. why would someone go to the ends of using aluminum shock buffers for reducing total slide travel after the gun was purposely increased in total slide travel?

Thank you.

Specialneeds

2 hours ago, Specialneeds said:

Also, what is the differences in these "shorty" and "middy" guns?

Not only this but.. why would someone go to the ends of using aluminum shock buffers for reducing total slide travel after the gun was purposely increased in total slide travel?

Thank you.

Specialneeds

Shorty is basically commander length (3/4" shortened from full size).

Midsize is full size shortened 1/2".

Destroking is just something you have to try and another tuning tool. 

1 hour ago, Specialneeds said:

Ok, is this slide length?.. barrel length?

Barrel length isn't relevant in this case. A fullsize gun does not cease to be a fullsize gun because you add a compensator. It's now just a fullsize gun with a compensator. 

I hate to disagree, however.. if you are measuring the topend assembled and saying it is ' 3/4" less than a government issue length ', that is entirely different in proportion than stating ' the slide is 3/4" shorter '.

Appreciated.

I was attempting to get clarification on your estimated measurements. A lot may be concluded from the vague nature. The word "size" is not clearly defined as 'complete topend(slide+barrel&comp)' or 'a bare slide length'.

My misgivings. Thank you for clarifying.

Tungsten sleeve is an expensive option and increases failure rate of the barrel.  Before you purchase get a quote on a replacement barrel with sleeve plus fitting.  This way you will not be surprised by the cost when you need a new barrel.  Hopefully the barrel will last a long time but at some point it will need replacement.  They all do.

In my experience the cheaper and more obvious change in recoil come from changing the slide stroke length.  Playing around with the number of shock buffs really changes dot tracking and everyone has a different preference.