Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

75 Compact trigger weight

Stafford

Local range offered free rentals to members this weekend. I had previously rented a Shadow 2 and the SA was great, but I forgot to try it out in DA.

Today, I started with a 75C which was a Decocker model. The double action wasn’t bad at all and the SA was good too. Then I switched out to the Shadow 2 and I manually decocked it to try out the DA. The DA on the Shadow 2 was heavier than the 75C. 

If the DA on the Shadow 2 was in the 9lb range, then the 75 C had to be 7.5. I would guess the SA on the 75 C to be around 4 lbs? Does that sound right? 

No that is not how this works....LOL

Shadow trigger is much better than a stock 75c. HOWEVER, to get either super nice times some polishing and some parts. 
They can be as good as each other, but not stock. 

All my 75 series are very close to 2lb SA and 4-4.5 in DA, but it took parts and love to get them there. 

Best system for SA/DA I have found out of all the brands, Sig would run a close second. 1911 is still king, so there is that comparison if you so choose.    

The DA on the CZ75 C was better than the DA on the Shadow 2. The SA on the Shadow 2 was better than the SA on the 75C. The Shadow 2 had a very heavy DA and a very light SA. No doubt about it from either end. It may not be supposed to work that way, but that’s how it felt. Both were stock pistols.

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

The DA on the CZ75 C was better than the DA on the Shadow 2. The SA on the Shadow 2 was better than the SA on the 75C. The Shadow 2 had a very heavy DA and a very light SA. No doubt about it from either end. It may not be supposed to work that way, but that’s how it felt. Both were stock pistols.

This isn't too mysterious to me. Smoothness is often mistaken for weight.

The Decocker pistol has likely been shot in DA much more than the Shadow. It's been "broken in" so to speak, ie the parts have rubbed against each other for the full DA pull to be polished.  Maybe it's also older and the springs are more worn. Like your experience, other people renting the Shadow don't think to manually lower the hammer so it doesn't experience the same treatment.

The SA is likely better on the Shadow simply because it doesn't have a firing pin block.

It isn't a difference between models. The compacts and the full size guns have the same trigger parts.

Whatever gun you end up buying will have a different trigger than these two also. There's many more little parts to account for than in the Glock, for example. It gives them more variability.

My shadow 2 measurements-

-stock DA 8lb 3 oz. SA 3lb 6oz. 

-CGW RRK and polish with 11.5 hammer spring. DA 5lb 8oz. SA 1lb 6 oz 

my P-01 
-trigger stock. DA=7lbs 8oz Decock=6lbs 4oz , SA=3lbs 6oz

—trigger CGW Defensive/polish and 13 lb Hammer spring 

DA=5lbs 10oz , DC=4 lbs 7oz ,SA=2lbs 3oz 

Edited by Demp223

You can buy "good" and "bad" in all brands.

I have bought CZs that had really nice triggers.  Right out of the box.

I have bought CZs that had downright ugly triggers.  Right out of the box.

A nice crisp trigger will usually feel "lighter" than a trigger with more travel and a rough/draggy release.

The easiest way to get a nice SA trigger pull on  CZ is to buy a good hammer from CGW or CZ Custom.

Getting a nice DA trigger pull takes more work and more money.  Same parts sources, CZ Custom or CGW.  And then some polishing of the parts to smooth thing out as the move against each other during the trigger pull.