Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 front sight gets launched again

Shep

Well for the second time in less than 10k my front sight decided it would rather be a solo act and abandoned the gun mid range session. This one had a small bit of blue loctite that obviously didn't work. I'm using Dawson precision sights. Would anyone happen to have a procedure they use to keep the front sight attached they're willing to share. 

Mine used to loosen up too but luckily each time I saw it backing out before it backed all the way out & came off.  

I cleaned the set screw & the hole really well with contact cleaner removing all traces of oil, generously applied blue Loctite, let it cure a day, and thus far it hasn't moved at all.  

Is your Dawson loose in the dovetail?  I had to use aluminum foil as a shim to make it fit snug.

I took a little piece of metal from used primers, cut and flattened it out into a circle that would fit into hole under the front sight so the tiny screw would have something to dig and hold onto better. Otherwise, the screw was going through my slide getting close to the barrel. I use red loctite for under the sight and a little on tip of screw. Before all this, the front sight would wiggle forward and backward after a couple sessions.

Thanks for the link polymer. I ended up putting 620 in the channel after lightly peen and a small ball of steel puddy under the screw that got a liberal coating of red loctite. Hopefully my spare site will just collect dust for a while.

On 12/1/2019 at 3:06 PM, SloppyHayabusa said:

I've just bitten the bullet and went with an Xtreme front sight over my Dawson sight that i've launched.

I've heard the Dawson is a bit nicer than the Xtreme but the Xtreme has that fat set screw that along with loctite will give much less of a headache. 

This. Run a sight with a much better retention system.

On 12/1/2019 at 11:23 AM, Polymer said:

I took a little piece of metal from used primers, cut and flattened it out into a circle that would fit into hole under the front sight so the tiny screw would have something to dig and hold onto better. Otherwise, the screw was going through my slide getting close to the barrel. I use red loctite for under the sight and a little on tip of screw. Before all this, the front sight would wiggle forward and backward after a couple sessions.

I had to do the same thing on my Limited, as the hole in the dovetail was MUCH larger than the tiny Dawson set screw.  I flattened a small piece of shotshell shot, matched it to the size of the hole, and pressed it into place.  Then the Dawson set screw had something to bite into.  In the dovetail I applied Loctite 609 retaining compound, which is meant to glue sleeves and bearings in place.  It holds far better than blue Loctite. 

• 2 weeks later...

I put the new sight on with the aluminum disc and and Loctite 620 it has stayed put so far.  Decided to put a Burris Fastfire III on it even with the Fiber Optic the sights are still black night hunting with a Streamlight TL with a green filter.   Sight paint has to be recharged.  With the Crossfire and the Streamlight I should be good to go.

I've had good luck using an automatic counterpunch, pop a "divot" on both the right and the left on the center of the dovetail extension (the part that's held in place by the slides cut), front and rear. This pushes up enough metal to make an interference fit. You can also tap the top of the slide over the dovetail w a heavy non marring hammer to "close" the gap a bit. Shims and loctite always seem to work loose, especially softer materials. 

On 1/5/2020 at 12:36 PM, Popeye212 said:

Sight #2 joined sight #1 in orbit.  🤓

That didn't last too long since your last post LOL 

How many rounds do you think your Dawson sight lasted with that loctite 620, that's heat resistant so i think it's just a matter of retention

It lasted about 30 rounds I think but didn't notice when it left.  I was sighting in a Fastfire III I had mounted when it departed.  I talked to a nice lady at Patriot Defense who does competitive shooting there.  She lost one also in the middle of a round.  She mentioned putting a bigger screw in the Dawson sight.  I suggested to her that the problem would probably be solved by a tighter fit in the dovetail.  Even if a little filing is required it will fix the problem with a snug fit. 

I will wait and see what comes on the market.  Right now I am VERY pleased with the Fastfire and it showed two distinct advantages and what I was looking for.  Accuracy at hunting distance and night hunting capabilities.