Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better adapt....

mont1120

I preface this comment with the fact I used to shoot an XDm in L10, and continue to use a 5.25 in .40 for 3 gun. My first CO gun was an XDm, and my backup is an OSP XDm now in case the CZ goes down.

If you look at this forum as a place to gauge firearm interest, the last comment was November 9th. Pretty bleak for a topic that is a mainline subject. Unfortunately, Springfield Armory has missed the boat in recent years. They provide great support for the USPSA matches with guns as prizes, but actually seeing one in use by many shooters is becoming increasingly rare. For awhile SA made inroads into the Production world, and does seem to have some use in the med range SS competitions. Usually shooters gut a SA before using it in SS.

So I have to wonder, where is SA recently? Most gun makers understand that in order to keep afloat, change is required to capture new sales. The two new products released by SA were certainly nothing to get excited about. Another AR platform, and a revamped carry pistol does not set the world on fire. Walther even got a good new idea and jumped into the competition game.

Hopefully the designers at SA have some new competition firearms coming out. I really enjoyed the old XDm platform, but it has run its lifetime. Glock came up with the Gen5 and sold a boatload. Maybe the engineers in the Czech Republic have something new up there sleeves. A new CO ready metal/hybrid pistol would be fun to see.

The XDM is a good platform. Just not much needs to be done to it or really much that can improve on what it is other than a drop in trigger. So you dont get all the tips and tricks tuning threads other platforms generate. Prices on these are pretty reasonable. I got a 9mm osp, and liked it so much I went to a 3.3" mod 2 45 for carry. Mainly backwoods mounted. Just was never to keen on the idea of falling on a cocked and locked 1911. Still waiting on my tankers style holster I ordered for it.

Any tips on the firing pin channel dirt issue ? Last session I got a few light strikes, and seems the cause may have been dirt in the firing pin channel as I have never had it apart. Although I do have the lighter of the drop in kit springs in it. How many rounds can I go without cleaning it ? Kinda blows as I just got the optic zeroed and load worked out.. And seems only way to get the pin out is to pull the sight.

XDm is the victim of being the flavor of the week — five years ago. Around here, everyone is crazy for Sig with their latest optic. Folks are dumping their XDms for a song. Yes, the firing channel gets gunked up. I blow mine out with compressed air at every field strip and take it apart once a year. 

yeh thats what I was thinking, couple squirts of electrical contact cleaner then some air. Gonna put the heavier stryker spring in, IIRC the trigger kit came with 2 and I chose the lightest. My issue is eyes and fingers. I find the gun extremely hard to take apart. Have no issues with 1911, but this guy is a royal pain.
The XD's were really great when they were $300 HS2000's and took slightly modded M9 mags, was one of the few new wondernines you could get full capacity mags for. Probably what killed the Walther P99 when it came out. Couldnt get real mags for it.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:25 AM, Joe4d said:

The XDM is a good platform. Just not much needs to be done to it or really much that can improve on what it is other than a drop in trigger. So you dont get all the tips and tricks tuning threads other platforms generate. Prices on these are pretty reasonable. I got a 9mm osp, and liked it so much I went to a 3.3" mod 2 45 for carry. Mainly backwoods mounted. Just was never to keen on the idea of falling on a cocked and locked 1911. Still waiting on my tankers style holster I ordered for it.

Any tips on the firing pin channel dirt issue ? Last session I got a few light strikes, and seems the cause may have been dirt in the firing pin channel as I have never had it apart. Although I do have the lighter of the drop in kit springs in it. How many rounds can I go without cleaning it ? Kinda blows as I just got the optic zeroed and load worked out.. And seems only way to get the pin out is to pull the sight.

Mine had the same problem, I had to change the striker spring.

About every 5K rounds, I'd do a deep clean. When I changed recoil springs, I changed the striker spring (after all they come with the Wolff springs). I have never had a gun related failure, I've had ammo issues while trying to search for the proper OAL to get 20 in the mag, but the gun never failed. I'm swapping platforms this year, but still keeping my old XDM 5.25 40 as a backup and I still shoot one in ESP in IDPA.

I traded into a stock xdm 40 a couple months ago. I like it quite a bit. I plan on keeping it Production legal in case I decide to shoot the division, and it will serve as a backup to my Para Limited gun. 

I honestly don’t understand the hate towards the XD line that I read on the internet. I had one of the original, XD9 Service models that had over 30k when I sold it, and it never had a problem. I’ve seen others with similar round counts. 

• 2 months later...

My Wife and I both shoot our Xdm's in our local matches for Speed steel and Action Pistol.  They run and they run well.The only thing we have done is the trigger.   I have too many other hobbies to chase the gun of the month fad that many seem to go through.  There will always be something bigger, better and cooler looking to chase. these guns probably shoot better than I can shoot, so I see no reason to go after another gun & gear.

On 12/3/2019 at 7:46 AM, mont1120 said:

Mine had the same problem, I had to change the striker spring.

ref the light strikes,,
I got it apart, really wasnt dirty. Was the super light stryker spring that came with the trigger. The kit came with 2 a light one and a medium one that is still lighter than stock, trigger still fine, but now I am lighting off wolf primers.
Supposedly that striker retaining pin can break with alot of dry fire so will be replacing mine next time I pull optic.

Had light strikes on my 5" Tactical XD .45 last time I was at the range.  Pistol has a PRP trigger kit in it with the springs that came from the kit.  Worked fine last spring/early summer.  I don't have more than 500 rounds through it and somewhere during that the PRP kit was installed.

Reloads this trip were loaded with Tula LP primers.

Tried the reloads in the M&P 2.0 .45 and they fired just fine.

I think I need to dig out that little box with the original parts and put the factory striker spring back in mine.

Supposedly that striker retaining pin can break with alot of dry fire so will be replacing mine next time I pull optic.

Mine broke during a major match causing me to zero a stage. Make sure you replace it with one of the coiled pins designed not to shatter and not just another factory-type pin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

yeh I was gonna get the powder river set,  but out of curiosity  what happens when it breaks,, seems to me it would still fire just fien without it, unless the broken pieces jammed it

Edited by Joe4d

23 hours ago, Joe4d said:

what happens when it breaks,, seems to me it would still fire just fien without it, unless the broken pieces jammed it

When mine broke, I was able to cock the striker, but it wouldn't drop and I zeroed the stage.  I pulled the gun apart at the safe table, didn't see an issue, reassembled the gun and finished the match.   I disassembled the slide at home and, after I tapped out the pin to pull the striker, I saw a "large" shard of metal, about 1/16" wide x 3/8" long, now laying on the gun cleaning mat.  A few seconds of searching found the donor part, which was the rest of the striker retaining pin.

4 hours ago, motosapiens said:

are you guys resetting the striker to dry-fire? if so, why?

I just dryfire without the striker set. it's mostly about finding and watching the dot tho. i feel pretty comfortable with my trigger pull.

For me, I was resetting the striker so I had a realistic first trigger pull.  My XDm was my only competition pistol and my trigger control was lacking.  Since I couldn't get the full trigger on every pull, I wanted it on at least the first pull since my grip was firming up at the end of the draw.  Now I reset it because it's what I do (habit), not necessarily because I think it currently has any benefit.  But, all of my XDm slides have the upgraded striker retaining pin, so I don't think about it at all, let alone worry about it. 🤠

so looks like no pin at all the gun will work just fine or does the pin keep the striker from moving forward so much it pierces primers or jams in forward position, have to be a reason its in there, other than to make cleaning a PIA.
I tend to charge mine to dry fire, I am transitioning from decades of 1911, Plus my matches consist of , 4 strings with a 2011, 4 with a 686, and 4 with the XDM,,, So I am charging and dry firing a bit between runs..