Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cycling issues with ar15 using CFE-223

Nick_shoots_fast

So I think I narrowed down the issue. I was out shooting a couple ARs today and the one I build is having cycling issues again. The first time the gas block hole wasn’t lining up with the hold in the barrel so I took it to a gun smith to put the barrel on a lathe. He shaved off material on the groove on the barrel where the gas block stops to prevent it from sliding all the way down the barrel. This made the gun run a little more reliably I thought. 

this summer I loaded 25.2 grains of cfe 223 for plinking with 55g and 1 out of 30 wouldn’t either lock the bolt back on empty or pick up the next round. So I loaded up 25.5 grains and took it to the range today. Same problem exact problem. So I’m assuming is a gas issue. It’s a 16” carbine barrel with carbine buffer system. Nothing special. 

25.5 grains of CFE223 should be plenty of powder to make the rifle cycle right? That’s well within the limit given by Hodgden. 

I’m assuming it’s a gas issue so I’m looking at buying a cheapo barrel and throwing that on there. Do you guys agree or am I missing something?  Black Friday deals will be going on for another day or so, so a $50 dollar barrel sounds good to me. 1 1/2 moa at 100 sounds good to me because this isn’t a gun designed for tack driving.  

Edited by Atlasguy321

2 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

That's a pretty light loading. If the gun runs on factory ammo, The handloaded ammo is a likely suspect.

146bfc8b630734f4ab99b8cb447a8106.jpg

so after I read your post it got me thinking. I’m very cautious when loading for any caliber, so the information didn’t make any sense.  I went back to look in my load book to see what I was doing wrong when I saw the problem. At the time of that particular load development, I was loading 62 fmj and not 55s like I just bought. So yes, my 25.5 is well below pressure and needs to get bumped up which leads me to another question. 

26 grains for a starting load seems incredibly high. What are you guys using for your 55g plinking loads? Cfe is a cheaper option compared to what else is out there but 26 grains is pretty high I feel like. If I can save a few grains that would be great. 

Edited by Atlasguy321

On 11/30/2019 at 4:51 PM, Atlasguy321 said:

26 grains for a starting load seems incredibly high. What are you guys using for your 55g plinking loads? Cfe is a cheaper option compared to what else is out there but 26 grains is pretty high I feel like. If I can save a few grains that would be great. 

"seems incredibly high" based on what? Stick to the load data, not what "seems" right. Also, Hodgdon's data is for 223 loads, not the hotter 5.56 that your rifle is chambered in, so pressures shown in the Hodgdon manual will be even lower in your rifle. Your load is way under minimum; load to what the manuals tell you and pay close attention to the bullet weight. 

On 11/30/2019 at 4:51 PM, Atlasguy321 said:

so after I read your post it got me thinking. I’m very cautious when loading for any caliber, so the information didn’t make any sense.  I went back to look in my load book to see what I was doing wrong when I saw the problem. At the time of that particular load development, I was loading 62 fmj and not 55s like I just bought. So yes, my 25.5 is well below pressure and needs to get bumped up which leads me to another question. 

10 hours ago, Yondering said:

"seems incredibly high" based on what? Stick to the load data, not what "seems" right. Also, Hodgdon's data is for 223 loads, not the hotter 5.56 that your rifle is chambered in, so pressures shown in the Hodgdon manual will be even lower in your rifle. Your load is way under minimum; load to what the manuals tell you and pay close attention to the bullet weight. 

Bingo.
Different bullet weights will have different data(lighter charges for heavier bullets), so you'll definitely want to refer to a manual.
As I recall, my 55gr FMJ/CFE-223 load uses 26.5gr of powder(which, of course, is only 0.5gr over minimum), and runs fine in multiple .223 Rem and 5.56x45 rifles/uppers.

As far as saving money, the difference between 25.5 and 26.5 is only ten rounds per pound, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things if it gives you reliable cycling. (25.5 = 274rd/lb, 26.5 = 264rd/lb)

• 4 weeks later...