Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good option for .223/5.56 BTHP or ballistic tip 55gr bullets for reloading?

avastcosmicarena

I'm just getting into reloading. With 9mm, I like JHP, and I have options like Montana Gold, Precision Delta, RMR, Hornady HAP/XTP, etc.

I stocked up on some Precision Delta 115s. 

I'm now looking around trying to decide on a good bullet for 55 grain .223 or 5.56 for a .223 Wylde barrel.

What are the good options out there? 

Nosler ballistic tip? Hornady Vmax? Sierra GameKing/MatchKing? Anything else?

I pretty much just want to find a good, accurate 55 grain bullet that I can buy in bulk for reloading.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

The most popular and most affordable bulk 55gr bullets are the Hornady FMJBT. You can buy them in a 6k round case for about $0.06/piece when brownells and midway offer their free shipping codes. They might offer the Vmax by the case well, but I haven’t looked into it since they’re more expensive and I use it burley for plinking. I think most people get good groups with the bullets after a little load development. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

The most popular and most affordable bulk 55gr bullets are the Hornady FMJBT. You can buy them in a 6k round case for about $0.06/piece when brownells and midway offer their free shipping codes. They might offer the Vmax by the case well, but I haven’t looked into it since they’re more expensive and I use it burley for plinking. I think most people get good groups with the bullets after a little load development. Hope that helps

Will those lead up the compensator like FMJ does on 9mms with comps (open guns, PCCs, etc.)

Looking for something that won't lead up the comp ideally.

Nosler Ballistic Tips and Hornady VMax will give match bullet accuracy with less drag. I'm sure Sierra Blitz King are in the same league. I've only seen the VMax in boxes of 250, ZMax if you can find them are in boxes of 500. Same bullet, different color tip. 

You didn't mention the intended purpose of your loads. Matches, varmints or something else?

9 minutes ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Nosler Ballistic Tips and Hornady VMax will give match bullet accuracy with less drag. I'm sure Sierra Blitz King are in the same league. I've only seen the VMax in boxes of 250, ZMax if you can find them are in boxes of 500. Same bullet, different color tip. 

You didn't mention the intended purpose of your loads. Matches, varmints or something else?

Just 3 gun/2 gun style fast-paced competitive/sports shooting.

28 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Mostly 200-350 yards and in most likely. Haven't decided yet whether I would stick with 55 gr or get some 75-77gr for longer stuff. More concerned with just finding a good 55 gr option right now.

Don't waste your time or money on targets out to only 350. I've been using Nosler Ballistic Tip  and Hornady V-Max out to 550 at Rocky Mountain 3 Gun for several years.  The only reason for more than 55 grain bullets are the matches that have a love of spinners.

13 hours ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Don't waste your time or money on targets out to only 350. I've been using Nosler Ballistic Tip  and Hornady V-Max out to 550 at Rocky Mountain 3 Gun for several years.  The only reason for more than 55 grain bullets are the matches that have a love of spinners.

Where do you get the Nosler Ballistic Tip  and Hornady V-Max bullets from?

9 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Where do you get the Nosler Ballistic Tip  and Hornady V-Max bullets from?

I've gotten the Noslers from Wideners and the Hornadys from Mid South Shooter's Supply. Check for sales at both. Sierra bullets I have bought from O.K. Weber, although, I recently saw that Otto had passed.:(

I've gotten some pretty good groups with 52gr Nosler Custom Competition(which are available in 1k quantities), 55gr V-Max(250 count is the most I can remember seeing), and 69gr SMK(I have no idea what quantities are available).
I've also had just over 1" 5-shot groups at 100yd with Berry's FMJs(which I've heard some people say are repackaged Hornadys - I can't say if that's true or not, it's just what I've heard), so a lot of this comes down to your load workup, technique, what your rifle likes, and what you determine is "good enough"(I've probably spent more time than I should have chasing "the perfect load").
All punch paper well enough, and under 200yd it would be hard to argue with the price point of FMJs.
If varmints were in the equation, a V-Max does wonders, and the Custom Competitions aren't too shabby either.

I have not, however, I have tried the Speer TNT bullets directly above it, in my 300 blk (30 cal 125gr) and they have been good to me thus far. Again, no experience in .22 cal, but they’re good in 30 cal

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a crazy good deal on 55g wolf boat tail bullets from https://www.wideners.com 

I just came across their website when stocking up on 55gr bullets and now they are my first site I go to when shopping. 

Just shot them about a week ago to see how they would fair and I couldn’t complain. About 1” group at 100 is just fine for plinking ammo. Incase you care I was loading 26.2 of CFE223 at sammi spec OAL. 

Not sure on what gear you have to load 223 yet but I would highly suggest a Hornady ogive gauge. This way you’re not taking the measurements off the very tip of the bullet which can be very inconsistent. You’re taking the measurements off the ogive which is way more consistent than the tip. When you get into loading precision, this is a must. If you look at seirra match kings that arnt tipped, the tip of the bullet is never consistently cut. Still a great bullet, but going off the ogive of the bullet is way more of a consistent measurement. 

Hornady makes a pretty nice once for cheap around $20 bucks I think. Check them out and good luck! 

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-B234-Lock-N-Load-Comparator-Inserts/dp/B000PD5VLA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?adgrpid=66923755880&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3Lnml8a15gIVgYCfCh3PpAUXEAAYASAAEgKAt_D_BwE&hvadid=321614078374&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9007398&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=1960674061749273396&hvtargid=kwd-376084866899&hydadcr=9874_9624906&keywords=hornady+ogive+tool&qid=1576340565&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFRRFNRUElGNVdGOE0mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNTEwMjQzRU9XSzZHTFNZTlA3JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMjI3NjJWNFM4NkpKRVVHWjgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Edited by Atlasguy321

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...