Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What size Ultrasonic Cleaner to buy

gunner01

Want to buy an Ultrasonic cleaner for pistol and MPX parts.  I know a lot of folks use the Harbor Freight unit.  What size in liters do you guys think is the best for gun cleaning work?  I know bigger is always better (Tim Allen) but I suppose there would be downsides to too large a unit in terms of wasted cleaning fluid etc.  Any specific brands or models that you recommend?  Thanks.

27 minutes ago, SSGGlock said:

I bought the Hornady one, along with the Hornady cleaner. I was not impressed. Barely cleaned a Glock slide and barrel. I need to try again and add more cleaner.

To me the solution is more important than the machine.

Lucas extreme duty bore solvent & ultrasonic gun cleaner works wonders 

To fill up my hornady hot tub the cleaner cost more than the machine it’s worth every penny though 

1 minute ago, Hawk21 said:

To me the solution is more important than the machine.

Lucas extreme duty bore solvent & ultrasonic gun cleaner works wonders 

To fill up my hornady hot tub the cleaner cost more than the machine it’s worth every penny though 

I’ll get some and try the Lucas stuff.

Harbor Freight has worked for me but the one I have didn't come with a basket. I believe Lyman sells the same thing just with their branding so I ended up getting their basket. Of course fits perfect but was an extra $20.

Don't forgot about the 

On 11/30/2019 at 1:06 PM, gunner01 said:

Want to buy an Ultrasonic cleaner for pistol and MPX parts.  I know a lot of folks use the Harbor Freight unit.  What size in liters do you guys think is the best for gun cleaning work?  I know bigger is always better (Tim Allen) but I suppose there would be downsides to too large a unit in terms of wasted cleaning fluid etc.  Any specific brands or models that you recommend?  Thanks.

For "pistol and MPX parts" the small Harbor Freight unit will suffice.  Don't forgot about storage space.  A larger or a rifle size unit takes up a lot more space on your workbench or storage shelf. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 5:13 PM, SSGGlock said:

I bought the Hornady one, along with the Hornady cleaner. I was not impressed. Barely cleaned a Glock slide and barrel. I need to try again and add more cleaner.

Yeah I tried the Hornady cleaner and I find that it sucks, I’ve kept trying to add more cleaner and still doesn’t clean well for me.  I’ve been thinking of trying the Bore Tech Extreme Clean to see if I get better results. 

On 11/30/2019 at 10:06 AM, gunner01 said:

I’ve been using the harbor freight unit for some time and my only complaint is that it’s to small sometimes, I’d suggest getting the biggest you can afford which I’ll be doing sometime early next year.