Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Shadow burst fired

Blackstone45

Today during a match, my gun appeared to fire a second shot immediately after the first. This is obviously a problem. A month ago I did a deep clean of the gun, including taking the sear cage apart to clean it. Is it possible I didn't put it back together correctly, or does it need replacing? After the match I tried to reproduce the problem but wasn't able to, despite putting another 100 rounds through the gun.

I'm also not ruling out the chance that I somehow bumpfired it? My SA trigger weight is around 3lb

Edited by Blackstone45

Check the set screw in your trigger. A long time ago I had issue with that screw getting loose and actually over-tightening itself which puts pressure on the sear. This caused some doubles and burst fire. If you pull the trigger to the rear and work the hammer it should feel smooth and you should feel no pressure of any parts engaging or catching. If yours does that the over-travel screw is too tight and causing your issues. I ended up taking that screw out in a couple of my guns as, even with loctite, it would eventually work itself out and the benefit was less than negligible. If you rule out this I would replace the sear spring as posted above and inspect the hammer hooks. Not sure what your round count is, but have heard some shooters wearing out the hammer hooks and the gun doing some goofy stuff. 

2 hours ago, JHicks8h said:

Check the set screw in your trigger. A long time ago I had issue with that screw getting loose and actually over-tightening itself which puts pressure on the sear. This caused some doubles and burst fire. If you pull the trigger to the rear and work the hammer it should feel smooth and you should feel no pressure of any parts engaging or catching. If yours does that the over-travel screw is too tight and causing your issues. I ended up taking that screw out in a couple of my guns as, even with loctite, it would eventually work itself out and the benefit was less than negligible. If you rule out this I would replace the sear spring as posted above and inspect the hammer hooks. Not sure what your round count is, but have heard some shooters wearing out the hammer hooks and the gun doing some goofy stuff. 

Could you clarify what you mean by working the hammer? So pull the trigger all the way to the rear, and wiggle the hammer?

Thanks all for your suggestions so far, will check the various screws in the morning

54 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

Could you clarify what you mean by working the hammer? So pull the trigger all the way to the rear, and wiggle the hammer?

Thanks all for your suggestions so far, will check the various screws in the morning

Pull the trigger to the rear and hold it. Grab the hammer with your other hand and work it from all the way down to all the way cocked a few times. It should be smooth as it comes back and as it goes down. If the screw I referenced is too far in(too little over travel) you will feel it, as the sear will feel like it is grinding on the hammer as it goes back and forth. If it feels super smooth, you are probably good. 

On 11/30/2019 at 8:52 PM, JHicks8h said:

Pull the trigger to the rear and hold it. Grab the hammer with your other hand and work it from all the way down to all the way cocked a few times. It should be smooth as it comes back and as it goes down. If the screw I referenced is too far in(too little over travel) you will feel it, as the sear will feel like it is grinding on the hammer as it goes back and forth. If it feels super smooth, you are probably good. 

And to confirm, that's the screw that's in the face of the trigger?

I have an update:

So it turns out I don't have an overtravel screw in my trigger, there's just a hole there. I tried working the hammer with the trigger fully back and it felt pretty smooth.

I did notice a new issue. When I pull the trigger, then rack the slide and gently let the trigger out to reset, if I then gently started to squeeze the trigger again, occasionally (about 1 in 5 times) I hear a click and the sear seems to begin to disengage. The hammer also moves a little. If I release the trigger there, the hammer will fall to half cock with the trigger. If I squeeze the trigger fully, the hammer drops as usual. Any ideas about this?

6 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

I have an update:

So it turns out I don't have an overtravel screw in my trigger, there's just a hole there. I tried working the hammer with the trigger fully back and it felt pretty smooth.

I did notice a new issue. When I pull the trigger, then rack the slide and gently let the trigger out to reset, if I then gently started to squeeze the trigger again, occasionally (about 1 in 5 times) I hear a click and the sear seems to begin to disengage. The hammer also moves a little. If I release the trigger there, the hammer will fall to half cock with the trigger. If I squeeze the trigger fully, the hammer drops as usual. Any ideas about this?

Did you inspect the hammer hooks for wear? Is there a fitted disco installed?  What about the screw "Yigal" posted the picture of. Did you confirm that was tight? That screw can back out, as it is staked from the factory. If you removed it, it could cause some problems if its not tight and loctited in place. Do you have a spare sear spring to drop in it and try?