Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are long slim mags carried on belt?

Your main mags are nearly horizontal across the front. Maybe a standard 140mm mag on your left as a back up. This is not my belt but mine is the same. Keeping them layed over also allows you to bend over and reset and pick up brass.

received_536466950260161.jpeg

I have a 32 and a 50 rnders. I plan to place the 32 horizontally in front on a magnetic altered open pouch as reloader mag if needed. The 50 will be my first to load and in my side hip slinged to the belt. I can bend down or go prone with one or both in the belt. Main requirments are security and ease of handling. Will test these soonest. 

Really, unless you plan on going to some pcc shoot with 50-60 round stages (like Lucas) are you ever going to need that many mags on your belt? Especially big ones? Unless it's a stage with a mandatory reload we rarely need an extra mag anyway.

Is no one gonna call out the spare bolt carried on the belt in the picture?

When I shoot pcc it is with a 42 round mag carried to the line to start with. I do not walk around with it on my belt during the match. On my left hip in a normal glock mag pouch is a 140mm mag holding 23 rounds.

When the brief states an empty gun and all mags on belt I just stick the 42 rounder in the pouch and not carry a second mag. Knowingly taking that risk.

As I said it's not my belt but it gives some ideas about how a pro sets there's up. I have a horizontal pouch on right side and a SpeedRL in front. The load and make ready mag goes on the magnet and a 33 goes on the pouch. Seen to many 140s get used and the person does not have enough ammo to finish the stage. As far as the spare bolt goes with practice you can change it in about 5 seconds. I am not shooting national level events so I  dont bother with one but I do understand why its there.

Edited by JsK
On 11/30/2019 at 8:12 PM, jualdeaux said:

I noted that right off. Didn't I read somewhere quite a while ago that Max L did that?

The logo on the mag extensions are his logo so I'm guessing his belt.

Edited by JohnnyD
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, egd5 said:

Really, unless you plan on going to some pcc shoot with 50-60 round stages (like Lucas) are you ever going to need that many mags on your belt? Especially big ones? Unless it's a stage with a mandatory reload we rarely need an extra mag anyway.

The extra mags are for malfunctions.  Dump the jammed mag, rack the bolt a couple of times to clear the action and stick a fresh mag off the belt.  Why dick around with a mag that has already had a malfunction (even if it wasn't a mag problem)?

On 11/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, BoyGlock said:

I have a 32 and a 50 rnders. I plan to place the 32 horizontally in front on a magnetic altered open pouch as reloader mag if needed. The 50 will be my first to load and in my side hip slinged to the belt. I can bend down or go prone with one or both in the belt. Main requirments are security and ease of handling. Will test these soonest. 

Start with your big 40+ round stick in the gun.

Run a longer mag pouch (I use the one from CODA. Nerd makes a good one too) across the belt buckle like an Open shooter with a 33rd in it. That’s the only place you *should* ever have to reload from, if the gun runs 100%

Toss a shorter mag or two on your hip. I run a pair of G17 mags with +5s on them just for that day when things don’t run so flawlessly, but I’ve never needed them.

No need for thigh mounted things on slings.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

image.thumb.jpeg.337cb1835ca139a5ee4b5c3514ab7325.jpeg

The only pic I really have of my belt, but I have 2 CODA Swift 5.5" PCC mag pouches on my belt and 1 black scorpion knock-off mag pouch. The CODAs are at roughly 2 and 11 o'clock while the pistol one is just shy of noon. CODAs are horizontal so I can rip mags out like a drawing a sword since they're in (to me) fairly efficient reload spots in terms of location to the gun and so on. The BS pistol pouch usually has 140mm mag for classifier reloads or last resort if I'm just god awful for some reason. Typically I'll make-ready from the left CODA.

The CODAs are great especially for mags with longer base pads like my MBX mini. Firm hold, the 3 thick bands keep then in place so they don't bounce like crazy when running.

Although I will say the pistol pouch in the middle makes bending over with a dad-bod a little challenging sometimes 😛

Just an FYI......lots of talk about magnetic magazine holders out there.....My son Matt has been using a TACCOM 6up Quick Caddy MG (yes, old school shot shell holder) for a spare magazine holder for years in 3 gun.......turns out that it is PERFECT for holding a Glock Big Stick as well. Stupid strong magnets, so the magazine won't fall out when running around, but still allows for a fast grab and slide out.......per my son.

https://taccom3g.com/product/6up-quick-caddy-mg/

6upmg-1.jpg