Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant e3

nevadabob

Made up a nice e3 load for 38 special and thought I'd share. Using hole #.57 in the Lee Pro Auto Disk setup, I consistently dropped 3.5 grains topped off with Ringer's TCFP 125 grain coated bullets. Seated & crimped on the bullet crimp line using the Lee FCD.  With my Taurus Poly Protector 605 snubby I obtained 756 fps. Recoil was very manageable and accuracy impressive. No flyers or keyholers and target paper was cleanly punched. Brass was once-fired range brass and primers  Remington spp.

21 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Is it pretty clean in 9mm? 

It is clean in everything you shoot it in, as long as there is enough pressure.  It's clean even in bullseye loads where the pressure is so low you black spot the top of the case because there wasn't enough pressure to expand the case to the chamber walls in time.

Use Clays data for your loads, but you don't have to be as conservative with max loads.  e3 exhibits absolutely none of the spikeyness of Clays near max loads.  All odfthis was tested at ATK by an employee who was a shooter and wanted to know.  I use it for 40sw minor and major, 45 and 12ga.  I'd use it for 9mm if I could, but I shoot Open.  So no fast powders there.  That being said, if I stop buying my 9mm minor loads and reload, it will be with e3.  Friends who use it for 9mm love it.

Edited by zzt

11 hours ago, nevadabob said:

I also use 3.5 grains in 9mm with 124/5's. Very clean powder. I appreciate the responses.

Yep, pretty much the go to load for 124/5 bullets.

Find correct oal for your gun and your gtg.