Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Sights for Matches

Tophernj

I'm starting to shoot a bunch of club level matches at a local range.  It's pretty informal and the only thing anyone wins is bragging rights.  It's a great place for me to start out as I like having a good time without all the pressure.  

***Regardless***

I have a 17 slide that I stumbled in to.  It has a set of older, pretty dim Trijicon's on it.  I'd like to find a replacement set of sights that I can actually see with my sorry old eyes. 

Conditions are going to be almost entirely indoors (unfortunately).  I will be shooting a mixture of steel and paper/cardboard.  

So, what do you have/use that works for you?

Edited by Tophernj

For older eyes like yours and mine it is hard to beat a set of Dawson Match sights. Plain black rear and fiber optic front. Fixed or adjustable you cannot go wrong. I prefer the .110  wide front if you would be shooting anything out to 25 yards. For price and quality Dawson is tough to beat and they are 100 times better than any night sight indoors.

Sooner or later as your eyes age* your arms will not be long enough to see the front sight in focus. Then you will recognize the benefits of a red dot sight and competing in the carry optics division.

The sooner you accept the inevitable and progressive aging process, the sooner you will begin to work on the new muscle memory required to work with a red dot sight instead of irons.

There is an argument for this transition even before aging makes its influence known. After all, the military chose some time ago to equip the troops with ACOGs, essentially none of whom “needed them” because of aging eyes. That was no small investment.

Nearly all my guns have red dots now. The one that doesn’t has Trijicon HDs which work as standard glowing dots at night, but in the daytime a black rear and bright orange dot front. That still works in a pinch for this 69 year old.

I have no experience with fiber optic sights indoors and defer to others with that expertise.

*this is called presbyopia and refers to the gradual reduction in your natural lenses ability to zoom from far to near vision and explains while most with age need reading glasses or bifocals then trifocals. Some shooters use “shooting glasses” where one eye is corrected to focus on the front sight and the other to focus on the target. The red dot sight allows both eyes to focus at distance.

I like the Fiber Optic + Blacked out rear like most here, but since you are shooting indoors you might want to look at Night Fision. Their front sight has a colored polymer ring around a tritium dot. 10-8 Performance also offers a front sight from Night Fision that's a little bit thinner. Another option with be the Triicon HD/HD XRs. 

If you're primarily shooting indoors, stick to the green fiber optic instead of the red. The green is brighter in poor light conditions. That's why divers use green chem lights as a back up, it is the easiest for your eye to pick up in low visibility. I could give you the nerd version but that's the short answer. Good luck.

I use Warren Tactical sights on all of my Glocks (not the Sevigny).  I really like the scallops on the rear sight - I feel they help to draw your eye to the front sight and also allow you to see a little more of the target.  I use the plain rear/fiber optic front on my competition gun and the single tritium rear/tritium front for my defensive guns.

• 2 weeks later...

I would up with the Vogel Dynamics sights for my Glock.

https://www.amazon.com/Vogel-Dynamics-Champion-Pistols-Including/dp/B01BLV1QQI

I'm heading to the range in a few hours to test them out.  The few reviews I found on them are positive with some reporting that the hits are slightly high.  On the gun, they fiber optic is plenty bright in my dim basement.  The rear is a nice shape and they seem to be pretty "findable" when I bring the gun up.  

Now I just need my holster...  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 6:03 AM, Tophernj said:

I'm starting to shoot a bunch of club level matches at a local range.  It's pretty informal and the only thing anyone wins is bragging rights.  It's a great place for me to start out as I like having a good time without all the pressure.  

***Regardless***

I have a 17 slide that I stumbled in to.  It has a set of older, pretty dim Trijicon's on it.  I'd like to find a replacement set of sights that I can actually see with my sorry old eyes. 

Conditions are going to be almost entirely indoors (unfortunately).  I will be shooting a mixture of steel and paper/cardboard.  

So, what do you have/use that works for you?

I have used both Dawson and TTI. With a blacked out rear and fiber front its the best combo I have found to see/shoot fast. Of the two I like the setup on the TTI slightly more. 

Love the wide rear notch on the Warrens. I’ve tried to turn back the clock by using a near sighted prescription with my shooting    eye and normal range with my other eye. So far it’s worked well enough that I can shoot limited again.