Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kydex Holster Thickness Question - Red Hill Tactical vs. GX Products

cjmill87

Looking to take advantage of a Black Friday sale and trying to decide between 2 companies; Red Hill Tactical and GX Products.  GX has the thickness of their materials listed on the side but RHT does not.  Does anyone know if one is thicker than the other?  Does that really make a difference on a carry optics gun?  Thanks in advance.

I just did some looking while looking for a CO holster.

according to shooters connection (https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Red-Hill-Tactical-Classic-HD-P5160.aspx) the RHT is 0.125" thick.

GX legacy (this is the one i ordered) is .093 first layer and a second later of .08 OR .093 making for a thickness of either 0.173" or 0.186".

I have a RHT holster for my 1911 and its pretty darn thick, no issues with flex. You cant go wrong with either, what tipped the tide for me was i shot a message to GX holsters on FB on thanksgiving regarding a custom setup (threaded barrel and suppressor sites) and if they made a model. Within an hour there was a response that said note it and they will make it work. If your willing to take time on thanksgiving to make a sale, you earned my business.

nothing against RHT as ive done business there as well and they have always fulfilled.

I’ve tried both and there is no comparison. The gx products holsters are better in every way. super clean, looks great, better smoother draw, thicker with no flex, you can tell a difference in the attention given to the details on the GX products holster. Then you add the vise lever and it’s on another level not to mention you can customize it with different anodized washer cones of your choosing. 

Thanks all!  Just like everyone else has mentioned I received incredibly fast and attentive feedback when I asked questions of GX.  So much so, that I went ahead and put in an order.  Now just playing the waiting game...

• 2 months later...

I just got a GX Vice holster to replace a RHT. Both are very thick, stable holsters ( compared to the single layer of my first cheap-ass holster) , but the GX is noticeably thicker. My RHT has done well for the last 2 years, and I still think it is a good holster, but the design on the lock mechanism on the Vice is really nice, and takes the GX to a higher level. Also it may just be a factor of the GX being newer, but the finish is much cleaner and the design seems nicer, more efficient 

You will not regret either, but I am loving the new hotness of the GX.