Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited with factory ammo?

Stafford

Minor or major? 

Buying bulk minor is much more reasonable than buying  bulk major.

Check sgammo.com.  They usually have bulk pistol ammo that's priced well.  Sign up for their news letter and you will always know what's on sale too. 

Places like Palmetto State sometimes run sales on bulk ammo that are worth it. 

Stay tuned into several places and capitalize when deals come along.

According to the 2018 Limited/L10 survey (I'm not sure what the sample size was--or if the 2019 survey has been released), yes there are competitors who run factory ammunition. 

https://uspsa.org/magazine/view//2019-00#page=45

The top manufacturer was Federal. I would imagine it's the Syntech Action Pistol. The other top manufacturers were T1 and Atlanta Arms.

I would imagine that Federal Syntech Action Pistol has the best chance of being found at popular online distributors which increases the possibility of periodic discounts--if that's a factor.

Just get bulk .40 and try it and see what you think.  I've used factory .40 in matches in the past.  No big deal as far as recoil is concerned, it just costs more and will add up over time.  Most of the 180gr stuff will PF at 170 to 180 or more.  I once shot a match with some Federal that PF at 186.  It was that Federal Champion 180 gr red box aluminum stuff you could get at Walmart in 200 rd boxes.  

I shot LoCap Nationals a few weeks ago.  One of the L10 gents in our squad was shooting Syntech .40.  It was tumbling on him & key holing targets.  He grabbed a bunch more from Federal (who was there) and it was fine and he liked it.

If you're still new, just shoot 9mm minor a while and learn.  Shooting .40 when you're new really isn't gonna help you a lot, just cost you more money.  Later on when you've shot a while you'll certainly need to shoot .40 if you're in Limited, but right now, if you're new and inexperienced, it's not gonna help you enough to be worth all the extra cost.

Both Winchester white box and federal American Eagle, run their 165's with same powder charges as their 180's far as I can tell. Both will clock around 1020 from a 5" barrel.  chrono'd at 2 majors. Kick a lot less than most other factory ammo, ran American eagle 165's about 2 years in HI when it was all I could get. Felt just like my 180 reloads.

Edited by Joe4d

I've tried several factory 40 loads in my CZ TSO and found the lowest power factor was Freedom Munitions RNFP 180 gr.  Chrono'ed it at around 173 on average.  I've never tried the Federal Syntech.  

I always shoot non handloads in my 40 limited setup.  Do not feel like I have the time to try reloading right now.  My go to load is Georgia arms 180 gr.  NO tax.  free shipping from time to time.  Used to run freedom all the time but they quit running good shipping deals.  I do like georgia  better but it is splitting hairs -- georgia seems a little softer

When shooting my G35 in LTD (Major) I used mostly Freedom (not sure if they are still around)  I also have used 165gr Winchester white box and American Eagle 165 with decent enough results before reloading. Wouldn't mind trying the Federal Syntech 205gr  as I shoot 200 gr but not sure of the OAL.

I used to use freedom but don't like them anymore as their prices aren't that good and what I need is usually out of stock.

I usually watch for rebates throughout the year. Federal just had one and 9mm was 12.6 cents a round and 40 was 18.1. when these rebates come out I usually max them out to build my stock for the summer. 

I'm kicking around reloading but ammo is so cheap right now. I am saving my brass and keeping an eye out for reloading deals.

At Area 4 a few years back a guy on my squad chrono’ed 164PF with a G22 and WWB. I’m not sure what his bullet weight was. He was shooting Production, so he was scored Minor anyway, but it would have really sucked to have signed up Major Limited with that ammo.