Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic MOA?

SingingShooter

I’d look at the Trijicon SRO, I have the 5 MOA version and it’s awesome. It’s been very reliable for me and it has a large window and the dot is bright and very easy to pick up. A bigger MOA dot is going to be easier to pick up while shooting over a smaller dot, the smaller dot will however be better for more accurate tighter shots.

10 minutes ago, mveto said:

I’d look at the Trijicon SRO, I have the 5 MOA version and it’s awesome. It’s been very reliable for me and it has a large window and the dot is bright and very easy to pick up. A bigger MOA dot is going to be easier to pick up while shooting over a smaller dot, the smaller dot will however be better for more accurate tighter shots.

Thank you!  The Trijicon is way more than I want to spend, but I appreciate the info re: MOA! For USPSA I’m guessing a 2 or 3 MOA would be ideal since shooting alphas with a 9mm is critical. 

bigger is better, you want a 5-8 moa ,,   A zone is pretty big and you are talking 25 meter and closer targets. the 2-3's are for rifles shooting out past 100 meters.
I have an XDM osp,, put a Vortex viper on it, so far so good. Honestly I dont think ANY of the reddots are all that solid. They all fail.  Vortex, Leopold, both have pretty good warranties. The Viper I got for about 175,  Buy 2 if it fails you have a spare wile the first one gets fixed.

I would recommend the Burris Fast Fire III 8 MOA.  It is inexpensive, light and has a lifetime warranty.  The 8 MOA dot is fine for everything USPSA and better for SCSA.  Batteries last forever, and the unit is rugged and inexpensive.  The oldest of my five lives slide mounted on a 1911 45.  After 40,000 rounds the little plastic cover over the LED port split and fell off.  The unit still worked fine, but Burris insisted on replacing it.  My other four work just as well.

Vortex is a hot name now, but three of the four people who bought them at my club had to send them back in for repairs. 

3 and 4 MOA dots tend to get lost in bright sun.  I generally prefer dots in the 6 to 8 range, but I'm loving the 5 MOA on my SRO.  A C-More RTS2 v5 in 6 ot 8 MOA would be another good choice.  I like both of mine, but they eat batteries.

Had a Burris,,, battery compartment blows chunks. Good luck actually getting the battery in.. horrible design. Fought mine at my desk under a magnifying jewelers lamp for a half hour before I gave up and returned it. Total junk, 

3 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Had a Burris,,, battery compartment blows chunks. Good luck actually getting the battery in.. horrible design. Fought mine at my desk under a magnifying jewelers lamp for a half hour before I gave up and returned it. Total junk, 

And yet I can have the battery replace in under 30 seconds.  I have five of them.  I'll tell you I have more problems with battery replacement on the Leupold DPPs where the battery lid pops up.

I've got both FFlll and DPP and the battery is not a problem in either for me!

Just different application of finger fiddling!!! LOL

Pick a name brand sight in your price range and go!

If you shoot a lot get a back up when funds are available as they all "can" have problems

and need to be sent back home to be rebuilt!! FWIW

I’ve run both the Burris FastFire III and the Vortex Venom on my CO guns.  Both are great and the lifetime warranties is also something that I wanted.

Do enough searching and you’ll find people who have had problems with all of them, so find ones with good warranties and easy customer service.

As for dot size, I ended up between 5-8 MOA.  For me it’s a function of being 50 and liking the larger dot size for the shooting I do.

8 hours ago, eboadway said:

Really? The DPP is super easy, magnetized lid, just stick it on and close?!?

Yet one out of three new batteries will not work no matter how much you fiddle.  I think it is a combination of battery thickness and the contacts in the DPP.

I run a Romeo 1 on both my CO and open guns.  6moa.  So far reliable, and one of the brightest dots I have seen.  Easy to see in direct sun which is very important where I shoot most often.  

On 11/29/2019 at 5:35 PM, Joe4d said:

I'm sorry if this sounds insulting but are you sure you had the correct battery?  CR batteries come in a bewildering range of sizes and it's easy to buy the wrong one.

Honestly, there is no shortcut here. It's expensive and time consuming, but you really need to try a variety of optics yourself to find what you like and don't like. Also, different MOAs look different with different manufacturers/optics/colors. Also, the size and color affects people with astigmatism differently from person to person too.

I have a bunch of Holosun 510Cs with a 2 (or 2.5? I forget) MOA green dot, and I like them. I think the green is brighter and more pronounced vs red/orange.

However I also have a Swarovski 1-8x scope with a bright orange dot that is more like 7 MOA at 1x and it's actually really great and very easy to pick up. I was worried it'd be too big at first, but ended up liking it a lot. Of course, the prism adjustment on the scope can really help bring the dot into focus. So, it's hard to say how it compares to reflex optics.

I have an SRO (5 MOA) and Romeo 3 XL (6 MOA) on order also. I think I will probably like them since they are a similar size to the Swaro.

If you want to play it safe/conservative and just want to buy once and hope for the best, a 5-7 MOA red dot optic is probably the best route to go.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

On 11/29/2019 at 1:39 PM, SingingShooter said:

Thank you!  The Trijicon is way more than I want to spend, but I appreciate the info re: MOA! For USPSA I’m guessing a 2 or 3 MOA would be ideal since shooting alphas with a 9mm is critical. 

If that’s out of your price range, go for a Holosun 507 which uses the same footprint. You can also cycle between a 32 MOA ring/2 MOA dot, ring only, or dot only reticle.

Later on if you want to upgrade it’s easy.