Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm large frame mag for 38s

tomjerry1

Thankx for the responses, I have been using MBX, really like them, but as we all know, they haven't made them for a while. My guess is MBX has put all their time and effort into PCC? I called to ask, and was told something about a move to a new building? Said they were taking requests from people and Caspian mags, probably waiting until the numbers get big enough to warrant running the machinery. Was hoping the Tangfo/Witnees folks were running the bigsticks and where they where getting them?

8 hours ago, ATLDave said:

Can you use Tanfo tubes and extensions, or just the MBX tubes?  There's an OK big-stick solution for Tanfo 9mm open guys - factory tube, Taylor Freelance 171 extended base.   

This is basically what I am doing for 170s for my Caspian. I had a couple of the mags with the Cape style base pad, modified the TF extension to not hit the frame, modified for OAL.

Here's a thread on the process from my testing.

1 hour ago, tomjerry1 said:

WhiteDingo, do you think this combination would work for 38SC? I load to 1.230" , .06" difference. 

Let me measure the clearance in the back of the extension, but it will definitely need modified for that OAL. There should be enough wall thickness before the screw to open up the pocket, but I'll double check.

10 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Which follower spring combo?

I'm using the Arredondo in a couple of mags, and Grams in the others.

I haven't forgotten to measure that extension, I apologise for it takinga few days. The in laws are currently in town... Joy.

On 12/2/2019 at 11:08 AM, tomjerry1 said:

WhiteDingo, do you think this combination would work for 38SC? I load to 1.230" , .06" difference. 

tomjerry the 9mm mags (Tanfo or Mecgar) have a spacer in the back that limits length of bullet.  The tube is the same dimension as the 38s mags (fits the gun fine), but the 9s will only allow an oal of 1.135 (with rmr jhp rn) any longer you WILL HAVE Nosedives in 9mm!  I wanted to load 1.165 so I got some 38s tubes.  Milled out the TF +10 base pad to match tube.  I still had nose dives with 9mm but I bet you would not have nose dives with 38s because of length and straight wall case.

Thank you both for responding. I learned that there are sperate 9 and 38s mags, I just figured they would be the same. I ordered a TF 170 mag extension, have what I believe to be a Mec-Gar 38s mag? has 38 S A stamped on the side, will give this a try. I really like MBX, but can't get them right now, but if this works, way cheaper. I also got a Grams spring/follower from TF, should be in this week, will let you know how all works.

9 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Thank you both for responding. I learned that there are sperate 9 and 38s mags, I just figured they would be the same. I ordered a TF 170 mag extension, have what I believe to be a Mec-Gar 38s mag? has 38 S A stamped on the side, will give this a try. I really like MBX, but can't get them right now, but if this works, way cheaper. I also got a Grams spring/follower from TF, should be in this week, will let you know how all works.

All projects have their own life, but I think you can make it work.  Realize the tf +10 base has a hump in the back to mimik the 9mm tube spacer.  You will have to “grind” that hump away to make it usable for 38s. I did what you are doing for my Gold Team 9.  It worked but not nearly well enough for matches, so I went back to 9 mags. The tapered case and coke bottle shaped 9s and mixed brass is just too unpredictable out of the 38s mags, and loading longer didn’t help. Good luck with the 38.  Oh, and the Henning 141 base pads with grams guts work great on the  Mecgars. 9 and 38s. 

I finally had a chance to measure the TF extension. With the "hump" removed in the back, the interior measures 1.215" front to back, roughly. It can be opened up to about 1.290-1.300" before I'd start to be concerned about wall thickness near the locking screw.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally got to the range to try out my mag with the TF basepad. Took a little time to machine out the back of the basepad, but I can get 28 rounds of 38SC. The feeding is hit or miss, sometimes all 28 will feed, other times 10 or so, and the bullet nose dives into the mag. I am going to try a longer follower, ordered the Grams spring and follower, think is for 9mm. I am also working with the feed lips and opening the back of the mag where the slide strips the next round. Seems the rounds stack more horizontally than the MBX, they have an upward angle.

DSCN0184.jpg

15 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

I tried another follower, was looking thru my stash and found some STI 40 cal followers. Tried it this morning and it seems to work, only time will tell.

Yeah, I tried all available scenarios of followers and springs (just Mecgar mags).  Yesterday at the range I had a discussion with Adrian (MBX) about the Tanfo/Caspian mags.  He even did a "review/tutorial" of my Gold Team and function in general (I was having nose dives all day).  He was pretty honest about trying to get the 9/38 running successfully, and in his experience the Caspian has a much greater record than the Tanfo, as far as feed function.  I told him all the trials and tests that I have been through (including but not limited to what is in discussion on this thread).  He made a comment/suggestion that I have heard before from other avid Tanfo open guys....Stroke IT !  About .300-.350.  This changes the slide relations with the mag and bullet presentation and has a positive affect.  No one can say how much, but it makes sense on the Tanfo.  At his suggestion, I came home and put my Gold Team beside a Para 9mm frankenstein open gun I have (that runs 100%).  Stuck a mag and dummy round in each and locked back the slide.  Guess what.  1911 goes back about .360 MORE behind the bullet than the Tanfo.  

So, I understand that many of the knowledgeable guys on here suggest that any mags or arrangements that we have talked about must be altered/squeezed to fix the transition area to fix feed issues and nose dives.  This is probably true in my opinion.  I just haven't finished fiddling with the gun yet to try that done, but I'm on board with that idea.  Adrian was non-committal on when MBX mags might be available.  Nothing to base it on, but I just have the feeling MBX was not comfy with the success rate with any mags on these pistols.

Good info, I'm holding off on squeezing my mag, I worry on how it will change dimensions and possibly cause other issue. As far as MBX mags, everyone I have bought for a couple of different formats, works right out of the package. I have had to send WRONG mags back, but once the error was corrected, no mag failures. I believe he is busy with his PCC stuff, and there isn't a big demand for the Caspian product to warrant MBXs' time. 

WhiteDingo and Dana4147, I'm having an issue with the Tangfo mags, while shooting, I can fell and see the mag release button move? I believe the mag release is coming into contact with the bullets while moving up the mag as the rounds are shot? Also, how did you squeeze the mag?

If you insert the just magazine tube, does the catch protrude into the tube when locked? I have not experienced that phenomenon.

I use two round brass rods in the control ribs and squeeze with a bench vise. The body springs back a bit, so you'll likely need to try it a couple times to get the adjustment correct.

The catch does protrude into the mag body, does also on MBX mag, but the shape of the MBX mag does not allow the catch to come in contact with the bullets. 

How much did you have to squeeze the mags, loose any round count? 

I did not lose any round count in the mags, but seating the last round became slightly more stiff, because you remove some room from the rounds stacking laterally. I adjusted until the top cartridge in the magazine was directly supported underneath, with multiple cartridges in the magazine.

There are threads I used for reference:

(Jim Anglin's post in the last thread was a godsend)

Here's a thread on the control/transition rib on Czechmate mags, which have a similar issue:

Edited by WhiteDingo