Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Hammer Curiosity

See_Archie_Shoot

Just a question of curiosity.

Any benefits to running a wide hammer over a narrow in a shadow? The only thing that comes to mind is the bearing surface would be spread out more.

Anyone have any opinions of the new Ghost hammer vs the older style competition hammer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think wide/narrow has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong. 

I think it is the cut itself, along with the angle. 
I also know it changes a lot of "feel" in the actual trigger an pull. Better? Worse? I dunno, I will say different. 

I like the feel the race hammer gives the over all pull/feel, but it adds a bit more freeplay, but eases the pull, but not by much. 
Stock hammer, reduces the freeplay, smoother on the first notch, but a bit longer, but not by much. 

I will be out around Fayetteville sometime this month, thinking around the 21st. Going to try and run a match while on vacation, and to see a buddy out there.
I will have both my my CZs with me, so you can see/feel what I am talking about. 

I have a couple competition hammers with very slight design differences and the ghost hammer. I love the look of the ghost hammer, but in actual use I find that I vastly prefer the competition hammer or even just a normal shadow ring hammer.

The "jimping" cuts on the ghost hammer are so shallow that if your thumb is a bit sweaty you could slip off the hammer. There's just no "bite" like the other hammers to provide traction the surface of your finger.

It apparently has hooks cut identical to the competition hammer, and I feel no difference between the two.

If you want a great looking hammer like I did, you'll be happy with it. However there is a downside you should know about before buying.

I have a couple competition hammers with very slight design differences and the ghost hammer. I love the look of the ghost hammer, but in actual use I find that I vastly prefer the competition hammer or even just a normal shadow ring hammer.

The "jimping" cuts on the ghost hammer are so shallow that if your thumb is a bit sweaty you could slip off the hammer. There's just no "bite" like the other hammers to provide traction the surface of your finger.

It apparently has hooks cut identical to the competition hammer, and I feel no difference between the two.

If you want a great looking hammer like I did, you'll be happy with it. However there is a downside you should know about before buying.

That is good to know. How does it feel if you pinch the hammer? I tend to do it that way on the older competition hammer.

9a14ca0020c6c539d12f8e1c293bdf5b.jpg30f4138fdfecb9a1ac29a8e83ce3ad37.jpg

I checked a CZ Custom Shop 75 Shadow. It looks like CZC uses the narrow hammer even when the slide has the wide notch. I was leaning this way myself since the thin hammer should in theory be lighter.

It is curious why CZC would make both options when the thin would work fine for both.