Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting Up for Open Division

cperazza

I think Don at venom has an all black 9 major gun ready to go. Romeo 3 XL, I prefer MBX mags over STI. Everyone is different just try different stuff, it's expensive but take your time and enjoy it. You'll learn alot and it will be tons of frustrating times too. Dry fire, as much practice as you can afford. 

On 11/29/2019 at 8:20 AM, zzt said:

Practice is the only time I can recover brass.  My motto is shoot in practice what you will shoot in the match.  I shoot approx. 10,000 rounds a year in USPSA and SCSA matches.  That's $1,600 in lost brass a year.  Maybe if I were still working, but definitely not on a retirement income.  Geez.  That's half a new gun.

When I decided to build my two new Open guns- a 2011 for USPSA major and a 1911 for SCSA minor, everyone told be I'd spend the first six months tacking down problems and fixing them.  Well, I had none of those problems.  The 2011 ran 100% from the first shot.  I did have a problem initially with the 1911.  I fitted the slide and frame too tightly for a minor gun and couldn't get it to run with anything less than 150PF.  I loosened it up just a tad and now it runs 132-135PF 100%.  Really the biggest problem was finding 1911 9mm mags that worked 100%.

So if you are leaning towards 9mm major, don't let the 9mm kaboom crowd scare you off.  I've never seen a 9mm kaboom, even with those that shoot fast powders like Autocomp and CFE.  Use slow powders and load long.  Pressures will be low and the gun will last almost forever.  Plus you can buy fully processed brass for under 4 cents each.  That's what I do.

On 11/28/2019 at 5:03 PM, cperazza said:

New to Open Division...Looking for some advice/opinions:

1) Builders: Akai V8, Atlas Chaos/Custom, SV IMM, EMG Custom Open, Limcat RazorCat, PT Honcho, STI...

-- They all make great guns...Thoughts?  Add any other maker you think I should consider.

2) Caliber Choice: 38 SC (Pros: More reliable and lower pressures, Cons: Bra$$) vs 9 mm Major (Pros: Cheaper brass, Cons: Higher pressures)

-- Thoughts: In the end it is a wash?

-- Factory 38 SC:  Eley, Atlanta Arms (The plan is to start reloading for 38SC or 9mm)

3) Optics: C'more RTS2 or Traditional, Leupold Delta Point Pro, Holosun 510C, Sig Romeo 3 XL, Trijicon SRO...

-- MOA Preference: 1-3 MOA, 5-7 MOA, 9+ MOA

4) Mags: 170 mm, 155 mm, 140 mm...what mixture? MBX vs TTI

Any advice is appreciated!  Thanks in advance...

Background: 

• Coming from Limited Division...own some Atlas w/ Cheely and PT EVO Grips / Holosun 507C
  • EMG Customs building my Open Gun, but looking for a gun to get through the wait and also be a backup
  • Main experience is ELR (338 Lapua/375 Allen Magnum)/F-Class (284 Shehane)...Completely appreciate a custom build and the price tag sometimes associated with it

I have a Brazos open 38 Super, an STI open, and Akai open, and a 9 mm built by Eddie Garcia. Mayte Garcia open gun is the best out of all the guns I've owned and shot. I've had it for about three years and we'll never get rid of it even if I stop shooting. I've never had it Jam one time. It feeds everything I put down the pipe. I recently had my gunsmith installing fit a true bore Barrel in it and I can say without a doubt it's the tightest groups I've ever had from a pistol.

2x Atlas Chaos pistolas with SRO 5MOA (or any other optics of your liking)

9 Major. Never had any issues. Brass is cheap. Stupid Flat and Fast shooting with 115gr JHP with 10.6gr of SWMP.

For major matches I just load new brass just to be extra sure.

4-6 or more 170mm mags. SV tubes, Grams Followers and Springs, TTI Base Pads (I practice reloading now only with 170mm sticks)

2-4 140mm mags setup same as above for stages where you need to drop mags after only few rounds  ex. Classifiers etc

On 12/1/2019 at 6:19 AM, Posvar said:

What is your budget? That may help narrow it down a lot as far as the used guns on the classifieds. Some are 2k and some 7k. 

$10-13K for 2 guns and a press

On 12/1/2019 at 9:15 AM, Acsr said:

Very wise choice going with Eddie for your gun, there isn't a better tighter nicer gun out there.  I started with a trubor 38sc and had Eddie build me a gun which I have now had for a year still as tight as day 1, slide to frame fit is perfect and racking the slide feels like it it's on ball bearings.  I recently upgraded my optics from a original trouble free romeo 3 to the romeo 3 xl I stayed with the 3 moa as I like the precision of a smaller dot. Enjoy the open game sounds like toy know the pros and cons of caliber get reloading 

Thanks for the feedback.  Looking forward to the EMG build.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:46 PM, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

I think Don at venom has an all black 9 major gun ready to go. Romeo 3 XL, I prefer MBX mags over STI. Everyone is different just try different stuff, it's expensive but take your time and enjoy it. You'll learn alot and it will be tons of frustrating times too. Dry fire, as much practice as you can afford. 

Will check him out.  How is your new Atlas Custom Open shooting?

On 12/6/2019 at 7:35 AM, Revofan said:

M2i builds great guns and is a pleasure to deal with 

and he knows what shooters need because he is a multi championship winner in uspsa 

Will check him out thanks!

On 12/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, bigstick0000 said:

I have a Brazos open 38 Super, an STI open, and Akai open, and a 9 mm built by Eddie Garcia. Mayte Garcia open gun is the best out of all the guns I've owned and shot. I've had it for about three years and we'll never get rid of it even if I stop shooting. I've never had it Jam one time. It feeds everything I put down the pipe. I recently had my gunsmith installing fit a true bore Barrel in it and I can say without a doubt it's the tightest groups I've ever had from a pistol.

Thanks for the feedback.  Tried looking for a used EMG and got nothing!  Looking forward to the build.

2 hours ago, SeattleDude said:

2x Atlas Chaos pistolas with SRO 5MOA (or any other optics of your liking)

9 Major. Never had any issues. Brass is cheap. Stupid Flat and Fast shooting with 115gr JHP with 10.6gr of SWMP.

For major matches I just load new brass just to be extra sure.

4-6 or more 170mm mags. SV tubes, Grams Followers and Springs, TTI Base Pads (I practice reloading now only with 170mm sticks)

2-4 140mm mags setup same as above for stages where you need to drop mags after only few rounds  ex. Classifiers etc

Thanks for the tips.  I own a few Atlas, so definitely curios about the Chaos.  

19 hours ago, cperazza said:

$10-13K for 2 guns and a press

Thanks for the feedback.  Looking forward to the EMG build.

Will check him out.  How is your new Atlas Custom Open shooting?

Will check him out thanks!

Thanks for the feedback.  Tried looking for a used EMG and got nothing!  Looking forward to the build.

Thanks for the tips.  I own a few Atlas, so definitely curios about the Chaos.  

I haven't shot my new chaos yet, hopefully soon. I have no doubts it'll be the same as my last one!