Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Coated Bullets?

CZp-01

I've been reloading with FMJ & plated Xtreme bullets. All my pistols eat them up at the same OAL. Loading mostly for my CZ's Sp01, S2 & TSO for competition.

I've been on the fence about trying some coated bullets do to the possibility of leading. Have read different sized projos .355, .356 etc maybe needed. None of my barrels have been slugged. Don't feel like slugging them all either...

Does one size projo usually cover it?

ie: Blue Bullets .355 seems to be common

Any recommendations, advice or help is welcomed.

Edited by CZp-01

I have noticed Blue sells their 9mm bullets at .355", lead bullets usually start at .356" and some of the coated mfg's will size to order in my experience Bayou offers custom sizes, just received a number of profiles and weights 100pc packs last week sized at .357. 

I'm curious why blue lists a .355" dia, I haven't tried them but lots of comp guys use them.

The main thing I will say is if you select the TC bullet profile, make sure you do the plunck test when selecting OAL.

1 minute ago, Rallyx100 said:

I have noticed Blue sells their 9mm bullets at .355", lead bullets usually start at .356" and some of the coated mfg's will size to order in my experience Bayou offers custom sizes, just received a number of profiles and weights 100pc packs last week sized at .357. 

I'm curious why blue lists a .355" dia, I haven't tried them but lots of comp guys use them.

The main thing I will say is if you select the TC bullet profile, make sure you do the plunck test when selecting OAL.

Blue bullets offers a .356 for special order. So, I may give them a shot. Thanks for the reply 

I use the blues 125gr tc. It is a fantastic bullet for my 1911 9mm. I have not noticed an issue with accuracy due to the .355 sizing. My load is: 3.8gr Alliant sport pistol at an oal of 1.095. 

Blues have the best coating in the industry, in my opinion, since they fixed the blue finger issue. They also do “special order” sizing that is the same cost as their standard .355 sizes. Give them a try....I just bought 7800 more on sale for Black Friday at 15% off. 😎

What weight do you usually shoot? I have some Blue Bullets that I picked up as a deal but haven't shot them yet. I've been using Acme because they come out slightly cheaper than Blue Bullets at the quantities I order.  It's only about a $0.5-2.0 per thousand difference in price though.

6 hours ago, belus said:

What weight do you usually shoot? I have some Blue Bullets that I picked up as a deal but haven't shot them yet. I've been using Acme because they come out slightly cheaper than Blue Bullets at the quantities I order.  It's only about a $0.5-2.0 per thousand difference in price though.

124gr is my go to. I went ahead an ordered a 125gr TC medium sized box along with my usual Xtreme order. If it all works works out maybe I'll switch next year. Xtreme is only about $3 more k so not a big difference. 

7 hours ago, CZp-01 said:

124gr is my go to. I went ahead an ordered a 125gr TC medium sized box along with my usual Xtreme order. If it all works works out maybe I'll switch next year. Xtreme is only about $3 more k so not a big difference. 

Blue Bullets worked the best for me but I still had some leading/fouling in 9mm/40 no mater how much I tweaked my dies and were careful.

I eventually just said effffit and switched to jacketed.  RMR for example is only $10/k more for great FMJ's.  I only shoot around 8k a year so it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

19 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Blue Bullets worked the best for me but I still had some leading/fouling in 9mm/40 no mater how much I tweaked my dies and were careful.

I eventually just said effffit and switched to jacketed.  RMR for example is only $10/k more for great FMJ's.  I only shoot around 8k a year so it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

The leading is my biggest concern. I had a few shooters say their not getting any leading. So, I'll give them a try. I hear you on the cost difference, not really a big difference. 

9 minutes ago, CZp-01 said:

The leading is my biggest concern. I had a few shooters say their not getting any leading. So, I'll give them a try. I hear you on the cost difference, not really a big difference. 

I don't get any leading from Blues in any of my 9mms with a decent bore. There is something to the coating Blue uses. With Hi-tek .357" seems to be the sweet spot. 

3 hours ago, CZp-01 said:

You should be concerned about inhaling lead smoke as well. That can happen without any leading, and a lot of guys seem to think it's normal but it's neither normal or necessary.

.355" would be the last size I'd choose for powder coated 9mm bullets, I'd only use it if other larger options didn't fit the barrel properly. 

I cast and coat my 9mm bullets I size them to .356. I shoot them in my revolver. Glock but mostly in my PCC. I have shot approximately 10,00 through my PCC and no leading. I have a buddy that has shot the same bullets in his 9 major at major velocities and has experienced no leading. I can’t comment on any other bullet maker but I would assume their coating technique would be better than mineE8AC4E56-1071-439C-BC99-327328DCC444.thumb.jpeg.632d3d5aee4aa61b6a67c9c83ce43164.jpege"

48 minutes ago, Yondering said:

You should be concerned about inhaling lead smoke as well. That can happen without any leading, and a lot of guys seem to think it's normal but it's neither normal or necessary.

.355" would be the last size I'd choose for powder coated 9mm bullets, I'd only use it if other larger options didn't fit the barrel properly. 

I'm generally shooting outdoors and when inside the facility has a great filtration system. I do get what your saying tho. If all the partying of my past didn't get me. I'm thinking coated bullets won't. 

Whether or not a few dollars per thousand is worth it for you to switch to coated, depends a lot on your consumption. I shoot a minimum of 20k per year, so if it's $10/k savings, that's $200. Not earth shattering, but that's still real money I could be spending on a major match or something else.

I like ACME. I waiver between 124 or 147 depending on my mood.

On 11/28/2019 at 8:46 AM, CZp-01 said:

I've been reloading with FMJ & plated Xtreme bullets. All my pistols eat them up at the same OAL. Loading mostly for my CZ's Sp01, S2 & TSO for competition.

I've been on the fence about trying some coated bullets do to the possibility of leading. Have read different sized projos .355, .356 etc maybe needed. None of my barrels have been slugged. Don't feel like slugging them all either...

Does one size projo usually cover it?

ie: Blue Bullets .355 seems to be common

Any recommendations, advice or help is welcomed.

Blue sells 38sp bullets in the same weights and shape as their 9mm but they are 0.358" diameter.

https://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1830.htm

I buy them for both 9mm and 38sp and size them accordingly with Lee push thru sizing dies, sold in 0.356/0.357/0.358".

Lee has just released a new brass/bullet processing press and bushing type sizing dies too.

The press

https://leeprecision.com/deluxe-app-press.html

The press stripped

https://leeprecision.com/app-press.html

The sizing die (works in std press too)

https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit.html

The sizing die bushings

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-bullet-sizing-kit/

Popular reloading sellers are offering most of this stuff discounted...back ordered but you can pre-order. 

check it out,

😀

Edited by Kenstone

10 hours ago, TrackCage said:

Whether or not a few dollars per thousand is worth it for you to switch to coated, depends a lot on your consumption. I shoot a minimum of 20k per year, so if it's $10/k savings, that's $200. Not earth shattering, but that's still real money I could be spending on a major match or something else.

I like ACME. I waiver between 124 or 147 depending on my mood.

A savings is a savings. Need to stretch the budget as far as we can. I don't mind giving them a shot as long as I get the same performance.

17 hours ago, Kenstone said:

Blue sells 38sp bullets in the same weights and shape as their 9mm but they are 0.358" diameter.

https://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1830.htm

I buy them for both 9mm and 38sp and size them accordingly with Lee push thru sizing dies, sold in 0.356/0.357/0.358".

Lee has just released a new brass/bullet processing press and bushing type sizing dies too.

The press

https://leeprecision.com/deluxe-app-press.html

The press stripped

https://leeprecision.com/app-press.html

The sizing die (works in std press too)

https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit.html

The sizing die bushings

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-bullet-sizing-kit/

Popular reloading sellers are offering most of this stuff discounted...back ordered but you can pre-order. 

check it out,

😀

Wow, that's a pretty cool idea. Affordable too. May need to rearrange my bench and grab one and hook it up to my casefeeder for swaging and push-through sizing ops