Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High round count 9mm major guns/loads

kujo929

What powder/bullet combos have you found to run reliably long term without major gun breaking? (cracked slide,frame, comps, etc)

What kind of round count?

I’m curious if some bullet and powder combinations are better or if pressure is similar. Or if someone knows of pressure tests that have been done, but I haven’t been able to locate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a posting here few months ago that indicated he thought

most cracked slides were because of improper lightening of the

slides …   If you can find that post, you'll be well ahead in your

search for the perfect powder.

But, as FTP mentioned, 3n38 is probably a good bet for powder.

Another way to look at it, is that 100,000 rounds will cost you c. $12,000+

for the ammunition.   By the time you've spent $12,000+  for ammo, you

might not mind too much spending $1,000 to update your blaster.    :) 

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

There was a posting here few months ago that indicated he thought

most cracked slides were because of improper lightening of the

slides …   If you can find that post, you'll be well ahead in your

search for the perfect powder.

But, as FTP mentioned, 3n38 is probably a good bet for powder.

Another way to look at it, is that 100,000 rounds will cost you c. $12,000+

for the ammunition.   By the time you've spent $12,000+  for ammo, you

might not mind too much spending $1,000 to update your blaster.    :) 

Well said Jack

I've shot every "popular" powder there is and honestly can't shoot the difference on a timer, but that another story!

My oldest gun is well over 100k with WAC and has an 11 oz slide.  Gun is loose now but still shoots a 2" group at 25 yds.

As said above if the gun is built right, pick a powder,  load to  170+ and go and shoot it 

The only problem with 9mm major is case capacity.  Generally speaking, you can get the gun to run soft, or flat, but not both without some compromise.  3N38 is a nice powder, but not for 9mm major unless you want to shoot 124s or 127s.  You cannot get enough of it to stay in the case for 115s.  So I'm using mine up for minor steel loads.  My go to powder for major is Shooters World Major Pistol powder.  It is denser than 3N38 and doesn't spill all over the shell plate when indexing.  It is also very compressible; something that cannot be said of 3N38.

My load is once fired, fully processed brass, CCI500, 10.2gr MP and 115 HAP at 1.161" OAL.  Super clean, accurate and an SD of 4.9.  My slide is 10.5 oz., but has full metal everywhere that counts.  I run an 8 lb. recoil spring and have no doubt the slide will last longer than I will.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 8:54 AM, zzt said:

The only problem with 9mm major is case capacity.  Generally speaking, you can get the gun to run soft, or flat, but not both without some compromise.  3N38 is a nice powder, but not for 9mm major unless you want to shoot 124s or 127s.  You cannot get enough of it to stay in the case for 115s.  So I'm using mine up for minor steel loads.  My go to powder for major is Shooters World Major Pistol powder.  It is denser than 3N38 and doesn't spill all over the shell plate when indexing.  It is also very compressible; something that cannot be said of 3N38.

My load is once fired, fully processed brass, CCI500, 10.2gr MP and 115 HAP at 1.161" OAL.  Super clean, accurate and an SD of 4.9.  My slide is 10.5 oz., but has full metal everywhere that counts.  I run an 8 lb. recoil spring and have no doubt the slide will last longer than I will.

How full is your case with the 10.2g? A few locals shoot that powder and love it. 

33 minutes ago, Posvar said:

How full is your case with the 10.2g? A few locals shoot that powder and love it. 

Full, but not so much that a lot spills out when the shell plate indexes.  With a 115 loaded to 1.161" OAL, the powder is not compressed.  I copied this picture from an article in Shooting Times.  It is a little more full than the AA7 case in my roll sized brass.

9majorsb-figure-4.thumb.jpg.e06779b7650069d648d838783144d81c.jpg