Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recent STI double stack magazines ?

p7fl

I am going to purchase one of the new STIs. Not new to STI, I have an 11 year old single stack and have owned other STI single stacks.

I’ve never owned a double stack STI.  At USPSA matches I see shooters treat their magazines with extreme care: loading at the match, cleaning after each stage, playing with springs.

This will be a carry and outlaw match gun. I am use to abusing magazines, P7s, Colt McCormicks, Glocks etc.

Does anyone have positive or negative experiences with recent STI factory double stacks and how they hold up to being kept loaded etc. Can I trust them?

Thx

jon

44 minutes ago, p7fl said:

how they hold up to being kept loaded etc. Can I trust them?

They hold up fine.

Reason we "play with our mags" is that every time they hit the ground

(reloads) we have learned it's best to take a few minutes and clean 

any dirt out from the mag before using it again.

I'd replace springs once a year, depending on how much you shoot. And yes, they have to be clean to run. I won't stick a mag back in my gun if it's hit the ground. They're way less finicky than 1911 mags though and hold their shape well. I've heard people run the same tubes for years with no problems.

My experience with the new generation STI mags is that the tube and follower are great.  I've had to use a stronger spring to get them to feed flat nosed (JHP duty) ammo 100% of the time from a fully loaded magazine.  With typical FMJ ammo, they work just fine as shipped.

I just got in a pair of Gen 2 9mm.  They tested well in my Eagle, and I will use them at the next match along with Gen 1s and MXBs. 

I load magazines before the match.  If a few hours loaded is squashing the springs, it hasn't affected feeding yet.

Keeping mags loaded does not hurt the springs unless you cram that last bullet in.  I have STI Gen 2 double stack mags and MBX.  The STI tubes are more delicate, and I've had to tune the feed lips.  Personally, I much prefer the MBX.  I fully load my mags the day before the match, or two days before.  I've had the same springs and followers in my MBX 40 mags for three years without a problem.  My MBX 9mm mags are only a year old, but I expect the same from them.

20 hours ago, zzt said:

Keeping mags loaded does not hurt the springs unless you cram that last bullet in.  I have STI Gen 2 double stack mags and MBX.  The STI tubes are more delicate, and I've had to tune the feed lips.  Personally, I much prefer the MBX.  I fully load my mags the day before the match, or two days before.  I've had the same springs and followers in my MBX 40 mags for three years without a problem.  My MBX 9mm mags are only a year old, but I expect the same from them.

It's not keeping the magazines loaded that wears out the springs.  It's loading and unloading repetitions that will cause them to weaken over time.  Think about bending a clothes hanger repeatedly to break it.......I've read where folks have found 1911 magazines loaded since WWII and they still worked.  

2 hours ago, p7fl said:

Other than RangerTrace does anyone daily carry the STI double stacks...

Any issues?

I carry an Atlas Titan Operator on duty. 126mm in the gun and 3 140's as spares. I have had no issues with any of them other than only the 126 locks back reliably. Feeding they have been flawless. New Gen STI followers, Atlas xtra power mag springs, and TTI base pads.