Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Homemade Brass polish

Bmans45

I like my corncob when it comes to cleaning cases . Have not wanted to get into wet tumbling basically because what I have works and I don’t see spending money I don’t have to. Does anybody have a good homemade polish to add to your corncob. I have been using franklin arsenal but it’s kinda expensive these days . I like to add the polish once in a while to keep the dust down. 

Edited by Bmans45

Same as Repete, I use nufinish and mineral spirits. Also cut up wore out dryer sheets, still undecided on how effective the dryer sheets are at keeping dust down but am happy with the end result so I continue.

4 hours ago, Bmans45 said:

I like my corncob when it comes to cleaning cases . Have not wanted to get into wet tumbling basically because what I have works and I don’t see spending money I don’t have to. Does anybody have a good homemade polish to add to your corncob. I have been using franklin arsenal but it’s kinda expensive these days . I like to add the polish once in a while to keep the dust down. 

Nufinish cut with mineral spirits as well. Do you clean with walnut first? Corn is much better at polishing than it is at cleaning. I add a little mineral spirits to the walnut to help with dust and run for two hours. Then I polish with corn and homebrew. BUT, I mostly wet tumble now. What can I say, I love shiny brass and I have the time to kill.

Seriously guys. A bottle of Dillon case polish is what, $9? It lasts for several years even if you tumble a LOT of brass, and it works really well. I don't see a lot of reason to cheap out on this stuff. That cheapskate mindset bleeds over into other stuff and does not improve your quality of life. 

Edited by Yondering

1 hour ago, Yondering said:

Seriously guys. A bottle of Dillon case polish is what, $9? It lasts for several years even if you tumble a LOT of brass, and it works really well. I don't see a lot of reason to cheap out on this stuff. That cheapskate mindset bleeds over into other stuff and does not improve your quality of life. 

I had nufinish in the cabinet. I had mineral spirits on the shelf. I mixed in an old DAWN bottle. It costs nothing to me and it’s as good or better than anything else.

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Nufinish cut with mineral spirits as well. Do you clean with walnut first? Corn is much better at polishing than it is at cleaning. I add a little mineral spirits to the walnut to help with dust and run for two hours. Then I polish with corn and homebrew. BUT, I mostly wet tumble now. What can I say, I love shiny brass and I have the time to kill.

yes I use walnut first . Thank’s for the polish idea I will try that . I like tinkering with stuff like that . . I just can’t get past the idea of washing my brass and what if I don’t get it dry . Lol plus I like my set up. I fill my tumblers and set my timer and they run when I am at work. After a couple days I have plenty of clean brass to load for a while . 

12 hours ago, Bmans45 said:

yes I use walnut first . Thank’s for the polish idea I will try that . I like tinkering with stuff like that . . I just can’t get past the idea of washing my brass and what if I don’t get it dry . Lol plus I like my set up. I fill my tumblers and set my timer and they run when I am at work. After a couple days I have plenty of clean brass to load for a while . 

👍 Agreed. I did the exact same thing for almost 10 years and was very happy with my brass. But I’m a sucker for very clean brass and once I tried wet tumbling my very slight case of OCD kicked in and I can’t stop. Totally unnecessary but.....

On 11/27/2019 at 10:45 AM, Sarge said:

I assume you have something other than a Dillon tumbler?  Mine has a "no liquid" sticker on the lid.....

35 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I assume you have something other than a Dillon tumbler?  Mine has a "no liquid" sticker on the lid.....

That sticker is more than likely referring "No wet tumbling with pins".

56 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I put like a tablespoon of spirits in every time I add new walnut. I don’t think that qualifies as liquid once it’s blended and absorbed. I’d venture to guess it means “don’t wet tumble in this device”

9 hours ago, Sarge said:

I put like a tablespoon of spirits in every time I add new walnut. I don’t think that qualifies as liquid once it’s blended and absorbed. I’d venture to guess it means “don’t wet tumble in this device”

Sorry, i'm referring to the wet tumbling with pins.  What tumbler are you using?