Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

load for 100 gr .356 bullets ?

17 hours ago, BJB said:

When I load 100 gr 9mm I just stick them on top of my normal 125 gr pistol load, which is 4.0 gr Sport Pistol @ 1.11".  It will not make PF in a pistol but might in a PCC.

may I ask where you get your 100gr 9mm bullets ??

tia

25 minutes ago, cecil said:

may I ask where you get your 100gr 9mm bullets ??

Berry's makes a 100 gr plated hollow base bullet with a 9mm profile sized 0.356". (https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/bp-9mm-356-100gr-hbrn

I think the last batch I got via MidwayUSA.  Prior to using these 100 gr bullets with a 9mm profile I would simply use a 100 gr .380 auto bullet. 

I was just messing around looking for a real soft load when I started sticking these 100 gr bullets on top of my 125 gr loads, for my Wife, Steel Challenge , etc.  Like I said, via a pistol it won't be making PF but with your PCC it might be getting close.  These 100 gr loads operate in my 9mm pistols just fine and I only have a reduced weight recoil spring in one gun.  At 25 yds their accuracy isn't as good as a hotter load and the cases were a little sooty d/t the low combustion pressures.

12 minutes ago, cecil said:

my PCC has a Taccom 5.25" barrel .. so it should be the same as a pistol... just wanted to find a load to shoot steel challenge.. how ever accuracy is a concern...

All you can do is try some, maybe load them a little hotter to improve accuracy.  In my 4.5" barrel Stock 2 the 100gr Berry's over 4.0 gr of Sport Pistol @ 1.11" chronoed ~980 fps (86 deg F).  10-shot group @ 25 yds was around 4.5 "x 6" according to my notes.  They were stupid soft and functioned in all my 9mm pistols that I tried, even a Shield.  I don't know how they'd do in your Taccom with the delayed blowback.  Load them hotter and they'll still be stupid soft and likely have better accuracy and combustion.  I just kinda messed with them on a lark and never developed a load by adjusting OAL and charge weight.  I was loading 125 grain 9mm at the time and simply slapped the 100 gr on top to try and they actually worked.  Also, SD was 21 and I bet that would also improved by loading hotter.  When my Wife shoots all these that I have up I'll get her some more and load them a little hotter.

I reverse engineered the Atlanta Arms 100 gr Steel Challenge load. They use the Berry's hollow base plated bullet and I measured about 4 gr of N310 powder.  I never used those bullets but developed a load based on 95 gr Montana Gold JHP bullets over 4.0 gr of N310 at 1.085 COAL. These are pretty close to the Atlanta loads, about 110 PF. However, they are too short to cycle reliably in my PCC but are fine in my Steelcat pistol. You could try the Berry's bullet which can be seated longer, say 1.135". Those should run fine

I have ran the Xtreme 100 grain bullet over about 4.0 grains of bullseye in a PCC, and other than feeding, the load shot great and was super light but still fast to cycle. Definitely nothing to lose by loading a hundred up and seeing how you like them. I’ve even went a little hotter around 4.5 with the bullseye but was up around 145pf out of a 16” barrel. 

On 11/27/2019 at 1:29 PM, BJB said:

All you can do is try some, maybe load them a little hotter to improve accuracy.  In my 4.5" barrel Stock 2 the 100gr Berry's over 4.0 gr of Sport Pistol @ 1.11" chronoed ~980 fps (86 deg F).  10-shot group @ 25 yds was around 4.5 "x 6" according to my notes.  They were stupid soft and functioned in all my 9mm pistols that I tried, even a Shield.  I don't know how they'd do in your Taccom with the delayed blowback.  Load them hotter and they'll still be stupid soft and likely have better accuracy and combustion.  I just kinda messed with them on a lark and never developed a load by adjusting OAL and charge weight.  I was loading 125 grain 9mm at the time and simply slapped the 100 gr on top to try and they actually worked.  Also, SD was 21 and I bet that would also improved by loading hotter.  When my Wife shoots all these that I have up I'll get her some more and load them a little hotter.

I don't have the delayed blowback buffer in my PCC... presently using a Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer w/white Springco carbine spring … loading a 124gr RN bullet (plated) with 3.8gr Sport Pistol to 1.155 COL...  not much dot movement.. and soft shooting...  have some 115gr bullets on order.. and would also like to try some 100 gr bullets … would like to try short stroking my PCC as well..  the quest continues... 

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK, GUYS . 

Edited by cecil
  • 6 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 9:03 PM, Wvaughn7 said:

I have ran the Xtreme 100 grain bullet over about 4.0 grains of bullseye in a PCC, and other than feeding, the load shot great and was super light but still fast to cycle. Definitely nothing to lose by loading a hundred up and seeing how you like them. I’ve even went a little hotter around 4.5 with the bullseye but was up around 145pf out of a 16” barrel. 

I use bullseye and I am looking into switching to lighter loads.

How is the reliability in Extreme's 100 grainer? Also, what is the recoil impulse and dot movement like?

I too am using the 100grn Berrys…. My load for SC is 2.9 grn of Bullseye with a 1.085 OAL  they  chronoed at a 947 avg for a PF of 95 and of course shoot super soft

Accuracy is fine for SC...  My PCCO is a Taccom  ULW barrel, bolt and 3 stage buffer with the two ALum spacers taken out 

IMG_1895.JPG

On 6/7/2020 at 12:14 PM, Texaspaul said:

xpierrat - are you running the bolt weight and what spring are you running? One that comes with kit?

Yes at the moment I am running the weight and the spring is the stock one in the taccom 3 stage buffer system.....  I played with the weight out and a little lighter load but could not get the consistency I wanted so I went back to a 2,8/2.9 of Bulleseye with the weight.... Still playing a bit might try a longer OAL before I lock everything in

I loaded some 100gr Berry's HB bullets with 3.9gr  SP powder to a COL of 1.125"  for a SC match last weekend...my new PCC with a Taccom 10 - 16 barrel ..  spent brass ejected but the next round would not make it into chamber for 5 strings....so my first stage was null .. I changed to my older PCC with the Taccom ULW with the 5.25" barrel it ran 100% for the remaining stages. right at 165 rounds.......both guns have  the very exact components except the barrel..... now I have to figure why/what/where .. anyone have advise ?

2 hours ago, cecil said:

I loaded some 100gr Berry's HB bullets with 3.9gr  SP powder to a COL of 1.125"  for a SC match last weekend...my new PCC with a Taccom 10 - 16 barrel ..  spent brass ejected but the next round would not make it into chamber for 5 strings....so my first stage was null .. I changed to my older PCC with the Taccom ULW with the 5.25" barrel it ran 100% for the remaining stages. right at 165 rounds.......both guns have  the very exact components except the barrel..... now I have to figure why/what/where .. anyone have advise ?

Yeah, don't compete with untested stuff.

Also, freebore can vary between individual barrels. You need to plunk test every new load/bullet with your chambers to find out what OAL you can use. Did you?

21 hours ago, mrd said:

Yeah, don't compete with untested stuff.

Also, freebore can vary between individual barrels. You need to plunk test every new load/bullet with your chambers to find out what OAL you can use. Did you?

Yep... plunk test is the first thing i did before loading enough for a match..  this barrel accepts  1.165" ... so COL is not the problem..

1.125 is long for the Berry's bullet. If you are using the .380 profile i doubt if the bullet will stay seated in the casing, I've had those separate at 1.100. 1.100 works fine for the 9mm profile but i would still be wary of 1.125. for those. I load the .380 profile to1.080.

I recently got a Taccom superfed 5.5' barrel from Tim to replace the standard Taccom 5.5' barrel I had on my PCC. That gun will now feed anything  put in it including Montana Gold 95 gr JHP bullets. The Berrys 100 gr 9mm profile will run 100% with 2.3 gr of n310. (about 70 PF). That's not the most accurate load but adequate for SC.

found the problem with my 100gr bullets in my PCC... shot a match last night .. PCC & 100gr bullets ran 100% ... VERY ACCURATE... dot just wiggles ... I LIKE THESE BULLETS/LOADS...

b

On 6/12/2020 at 5:28 PM, tomv said:

`so what was the problem?

buffer spring... replaced it with a brand new Springco spring .. now my latest build "runs like a paper bag in the wind" ...

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2020 at 7:51 AM, cecil said:

Is the powder your using for this load Alliant Sport Pistol @ 3.9 gr?  Also do you have any idea what the Power Factor is for that load.  I understand that you don't need to reach a specific Power Factor, but do you have any Chrono data for  this load?

6 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Is the powder your using for this load Alliant Sport Pistol @ 3.9 gr?  Also do you have any idea what the Power Factor is for that load.  I understand that you don't need to reach a specific Power Factor, but do you have any Chrono data for  this load?

correct..  3.9 gr Sport Pistol powder..i did not chrono these loads as of yet.. the local range is closed to the public because of the COVID19 virus until further notice... however.... i did change the recoil spring in my newest build... and shot it in a practice match in Garyville.. it seems to have solved the problem.. i initially thought that particular  spring was not suited to my bolt & load set up..........the spring i used was a Springco "red" . i called Springco , .. they recommend  sending in to them... they replaced it.. so i think that spring was defective..

18 minutes ago, cecil said:

correct..  3.9 gr Sport Pistol powder..i did not chrono these loads as of yet.. the local range is closed to the public because of the COVID19 virus until further notice... however.... i did change the recoil spring in my newest build... and shot it in a practice match in Garyville.. it seems to have solved the problem.. i initially thought that particular  spring was not suited to my bolt & load set up..........the spring i used was a Springco "red" . i called Springco , .. they recommend  sending in to them... they replaced it.. so i think that spring was defective..

Interesting about the spring.  I want to build up a USPSA PCC load using the Berry's 100 gr bullet.  I have some on the way.  Should be interesting.  No cycling issues once you changed the spring @ 3.9 gr SP then after changing the spring?  What buffer system are you using?