Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring for Q5 SF

waktasz

On 12/6/2019 at 8:39 PM, ohsevenflhx said:

I just put ZR rod with the 13 flat Wilson spring in today. I will shoot it tomorrow. I will say that it's difficult to compress that spring and rod for assembly.

I put 200 quick rounds through it today. It functioned perfectly. It only throws the brass about 2 feet, and allot of it in front of me. I am running 130 PF 124 gr jacketed.

Edited by ohsevenflhx

On 12/6/2019 at 8:39 PM, ohsevenflhx said:

I just put ZR rod with the 13 flat Wilson spring in today. I will shoot it tomorrow. I will say that it's difficult to compress that spring and rod for assembly.

I got the ZR guiderod and Wilson’s springs....but can’t get the damn thing in - I feel a shorter spring would be better...

Any tips?

I found this tip online, so it's not my idea, but it works well. Put a 1/4" rod through the muzzle end of the slide hole and put the recoil spring on it. Then put the ZR rod in the recoil spring. Butt the 2 ends together and push the ZR rod into place, which pushes the 1/4" rod out. It helps the recoil spring from buckleing and keeps everything in place. 

6 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I got the ZR guiderod and Wilson’s springs....but can’t get the damn thing in - I feel a shorter spring would be better...

Any tips?

Assuming you have the right spring, it’s not that hard once you get the am hang of it. Use you’re fingers to hold the spring while you’re pressing down. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ran approx 200 rounds of below 130pf ammo this weekend.  No issues with the setup.

I was looking at my chrono data for the Syntech 150g.  It runs at 140PF out of my barrel.  I have a 15lbs spring coming just for loads above 135PF.  I could just put the stock RSA back in but I like to know what really works.

I also got all the info from this forum.  Thanks guys!!

Edited by WxGuy