Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LabRadar special

I have been studying all of the issues that others have had (and also assume that some technical changes were made) during the past couple of years on this Forum.

Despite already owning four chronos and due to the LabRadar "pre-Black Friday"/"holiday" sale, I decided to bite the bullet and get one.  It came in last Monday (three days after I ordered it).  I un-boxed, did the basic set-up as described in the Manual, and incorporated some of y'all's "Lessons Learned".  I was shooting and recording velocities inside of 10 minutes.  When I finished, I left it on the tabletop mount and just put it up on a shelf.  A couple of days later, I had to chrono some loads that I was developing.  Setup then only took (at the most) two minutes.  This is a lot faster than my other chrono, which I leave set-up on the tripod, but I have to drag it out of the storage room, plug it in and plug the skyscreen wires into the box.

I am really digging this thing.  I might convert to using these for my Match Chronograph work, but I have heard issues with getting PCC's to trigger it.  I will drag my PCC out to learn its idiosyncrasies.  This sure beats the heck out of dragging a "chrono coffin" all over the Southeast....

The only thing that I am not liking is the long time between shots that you must give it.  I usually do "bam, bam, bam" over the chrono to reduce the effect of heat on the ammo and the barrel.  With Doppler, I have to give it a couple of seconds between shots for the radar to realize that it is no longer tracking a bullet.

Thanks to the Forum members for accumulating this Knowledge Base over the past few years.

1 hour ago, falconpilot said:

Buddy of mine is making parts for the Labradar...take a look..this swivel head and base are great..

arkcomachine.com

I've got one of his early versions, before the website existed.  Great mount/stand, way better than that orange plate LR sells 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I plan on mainly using the labradar to chrono handgun loads. Is it better to purchase the base and quick release heavy duty swivel head from Arkco or will that not raise the labradar up high enough?

On the Arkco website the last note under the heavy duty swivel head it states it is for the swivel head only, further up though it states the quick release plate is included. Does the quick release plate come with it? Basically it comes with everything in the photo?

For Chrono'ing handgun loads, I am typically sitting at a bench shooting off a bag, so the quad base and light ballhead work fine height-wise.  I also have a small tabletop style tripod I can use if I am shooting standing behind a bench as well...  Then finally, I have an Arca-Swiss plate I use when I need to put it on a full size tripod with Ballhead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MT0SKAQ - this is the small tripod.

As for the HD ballhead, I would expect it includes one plate, but best to confirm with the seller to be sure.  But the light duty swivel head has always worked fine for me - I don't think he offered the HD version when I bought mine. 

Also the thing about plates/ballheads, you want to standardize - so before buying the HD version I would find out what type of plate system it uses.  RC2 and Arca Swiss are the two main types, so if you already have items using one type (cameras, lenses, scopes, etc) then you would want to get the same.  Of course if it's a stand alone setup and never going to be used on any other tripod or mount it won't matter really.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...