Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Android Eink Readers

NETim

I think an Android eink reader such as this would be the way to go for PS squad  scoring devices. 

Eink reader on Amazon

Google Play can be installed on this one.  So I believe Practiscore could be loaded and run on a device such as this. 

The biggest problem I can see is their expense.  But to have something that is truly readable in sunlight!  

I’m not real keen on the android.. to me at that price I’d just buy an iPad with extra batteries and Shades..

Additionally—There are beta updates to the iOS versions with bug fixes faster than android. The IOS developer is far more open to change and not combative/argumentative when you ask for something.

I’ve been at a level 2 and level 3 match and found a bug and had a release sent to my stats folks that night on IPAD.. years later I see the feature we asked for still isn’t on the android with nothing but excuses and deflections.

In the end, I always have a tablet of both kinds at a match. But I’m not sold on android for anything at this point...

1 hour ago, RadarTech said:

I’m not real keen on the android.. to me at that price I’d just buy an iPad with extra batteries and Shades..

Additionally—There are beta updates to the iOS versions with bug fixes faster than android.

How about real releases, are they faster than Android? You can see the full list of android releases here
https://blog.practiscore.com/app-information-android/

The IOS developer is far more open to change and not combative/argumentative when you ask for something.

I'm wondering, besides that single feature you implying, what else Android app doesn't have that iOS app has?

I’ve been at a level 2 and level 3 match and found a bug and had a release sent to my stats folks that night on IPAD..

Are you claiming that Android app users hasn't received the similar level of service?

years later I see the feature we asked for still isn’t on the android with nothing but excuses and deflections.

With more than 2/3 of uspsa matches posting results from Android app, that can't be a critical feature. We are talking thousands of them and that's just for uspsa alone.

And yes, I have my priorities and reasons when and what I work on. It may have something to do with me having a day job that pays my bills. Being a volunteer not compensated for my PractiScore work, I keep my right to set my own priorities. Also it may have something to do with how uspsa and its President taking my work as given, so I prioritise clubs and MD needs over needs of a large commercial organization.

Edited by euxx

1 hour ago, NETim1187 said:

I think an Android eink reader such as this would be the way to go for PS squad  scoring devices. 

Eink reader on Amazon

Google Play can be installed on this one.  So I believe Practiscore could be loaded and run on a device such as this. 

The biggest problem I can see is their expense.  But to have something that is truly readable in sunlight!  

Interesting device. On a first glance the main issue is the lack of hardware buttons for flipping pages. Would have to mitigate that in the app...

54 minutes ago, euxx said:

Interesting device. On a first glance the main issue is the lack of hardware buttons for flipping pages. Would have to mitigate that in the app...

I'm focusing mainly on the Eink display.  The Android Eink readers I've been researching are very expensive compared to Amazon Fire's etc.  

11 minutes ago, NETim said:

I'm focusing mainly on the Eink display.  The Android Eink readers I've been researching are very expensive compared to Amazon Fire's etc.  

I know. All devices capable of running Android apps are in $200+ price range... I played with some and with a slower screen refresh you really need pageUp/pageDown buttons for scrolling. Unless they solved display latency in a given device.

This.  E-ink is very slow to update unless the manufacturer does custom display formulations that make little sense to do for an E-reader as it uses more power the faster you flip the pixels.  A transflective LCD display would be interesting, but I don't think anyone is selling them commercially at the moment.

We used PS on old e-Ink Nook's years ago and the daylight readability and all-week battery life rocked, but the second-plus lag to so much as register a hit relegated them to the back of the closet when we got LCD Kindles.