Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you tumble Hi-tek Coated Rounds?

anonymouscuban

You can, although corn cob media might be better for this.  15 or 20 minutes should be good.  This is adding a step to your process though.

Grab a can of Hornady One-Shot case lube when you can.  Spray some into a one-gallon plastic freezer bag, allow a couple minutes to dry, put in 200 or 300 prepped cases, shake and work the cases around a minute, then load.  The amount used is very small & you don't have to clean up any.  A can last a long time.

You can, although corn cob media might be better for this.  15 or 20 minutes should be good.  This is adding a step to your process though.

Grab a can of Hornady One-Shot case lube when you can.  Spray some into a one-gallon plastic freezer bag, allow a couple minutes to dry, put in 200 or 300 prepped cases, shake and work the cases around a minute, then load.  The amount used is very small & you don't have to clean up any.  A can last a long time.

This [emoji1318]

Hornady One Shot

I put a couple hundred shells in cheap non stick baking pan, give it a squirt, shuffle, another squirt and good to go.

I tried to tumble S&S coated bullets one time, took the coating off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, even if tumbling removes the coating, it won't affect shooting. The coating that matters is hidden inside the case (except for very long loaded rounds), the stuff on the bullet nose/ogive doesn't affect how it shoots. Of course some range rules dictate no exposed lead but that's a different story. 

UPDATE for anyone interested.

I tumbled two batches of finished ammo in crushed walnut media. One batch for 10 minutes. The 2nd for 15 minutes. Both batches turned out fine. No harm to the coating on the Brazos bullets. Also, the 10 minute batch came out just as clean as the 15 minute so the extra time is unnecessary.

I am going to try the Hornady One-Shot to see if that removes this step but for now, looks like tumbling is the way to go.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...